Best dog fight (aka anti tunnel rat) levels?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Best dog fight (aka anti tunnel rat) levels?

Post by Nosferatu »

I personally hate tunnel rat levels. I my opinion, tunnel rat levels are for tri fusion whoring tank pilots who have no dog fighting skills at all and have to get kills by tossing fully charged tri fusion down halls.

I recently found 'nosferatu' done by the VON clan. I just love it and am hosting it on Crypt1. Tunnel rats dont even bother. (Hint there ARE none) Just lots of huge interconnecting areas perfect for dog fights including one huge outside area.

Of course the last level of Fury (Paranoia I think) would be popular.

Colosium jumps to mind. Although this one has a couple halls for the tunnel rat.

And of course Void. :roll:

Anyone else have any favorite dog fighting levels?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Don't you mean \"Skip around in a Phoenix shooting only MD and Vauss\" levels?

Just because tunnel rat levels aren't dogfighting levels, does not make the opposite huge phoenix connect the dots skipfest levels \"dogfight\" levels.

Dogfight levels are levels where a Pyro GL can do well, Apparition would qualify, The Core can also work well in a GL. Take the Fusion out of any level dominated by Magnums and you have created a dogfight level, or Ban Magnums and Phoenixes. Many of the #300 baud levels can also do quite well. Iron Maiden can have some great dogfights in it but it also avoids being too big and open to completely hand the level over to Phoenixes.

Lobbing Fusion down long hallways has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with luck. Don't even begin to claim people who do it lack skill. Lobbing down a hallway only gets you kills if you are lucky. If you get killed a lot in levels like indika because of Fusion lobbed down a long hallway, then it means nothing for the skill of the pilots that lobbed it. But if it happens often it can mean something for your skill, it means you are careless, sloppy and/or predictable.

Halcyon is a good example of this, I have gotten more kills by tossing Fusion down the hallway then I could count, however getting killed myself by such a round hardly ever happens, because most of the time I watch for stray Fusion rounds. Fusion lobs are some of the most easy to avoid rounds in the game if you are simply aware of them, be alert and they go away except for rare cases when you are just plain unlucky.

A pilot with real dogfighting skills can dogfight anywhere, only pilots that lack true dogfighting skills need huge open levels to do it in.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Best dog fight (aka anti tunnel rat) levels?

Post by Zero! »

Nosferatu wrote:I personally hate tunnel rat levels. I my opinion, tunnel rat levels are for tri fusion whoring tank pilots who have no dog fighting skills at all and have to get kills by tossing fully charged tri fusion down halls.
i really dont think u should say they have no dog fighting skills, espcially when u dont have any, no offense but ive seen ur "dog fighting skillz" thier not that good.infact some of the best ever played tunnel rat levels but still could whoop anyone in any level. good pilots are good everywhere, doesnt mattter wut level thier in.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Indika, Vamped, Athena, Nocturnal, Kataclysmica, Appartiton, Powerhouse, Dissent are the best dogfighting levels i have seen full of action and very fun to play against an equally skilled player.

On the other hand nos, You say you hate lobbing yet you banned me because i kicked you're ass in an open area.. or at least i think the middle room in skybox evolution is open enough so wtf?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Wide open outdoor levels are not my choice at all for dogfighting. I'd rather not deal with the terrain engine. Indoor levels with some room are best.

My favorite:

Anotherbox

Lots of interconnectivity, low secondaries count, and moderate sized areas make this a great dogging level. I've started plasma fights in one side, and tumbled and rolled clear across the level. Lot's of dancing in there. The tunnles are about wide enough that a tank or two won't dominate, but three of four will start to get Indika-ish.

Bill the Cat is well worth the time as well.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Krom wrote:A pilot with real dogfighting skills can dogfight anywhere, only pilots that lack true dogfighting skills need huge open levels to do it in.
Word.

The tunnels in veins (at least the version being played regularly -- VVG I think) are big enough for something resembling a dogfight. You don't need much more space than that for a REAL dogfight.

If you can't dogfight in the side rooms in Abend2 using only primaries, you have no skills.
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

Lothar you can test my skills anytime you want. How are you guys doing ? :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Wareagle wrote:Lothar you can test my skills anytime you want.
I never said I had skills ;)

We're doing good, well, except for the hiccups I've had all day...
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

Heh just tring to get you riled. Im almost retired from descent.It has been a long 10 yrs of playing,most in d3 dont know me although I have played alot of d3.I played under differnt names other than War. :)
Other than hiccups glad you 2 are doing good :)
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Hey Zero! Did I ever say that I had mad dog fighting skills even ONCE in my post? A little reading comprehension please. You really are as intelligent as I thought you are.

For the record, I just have an extreme dislike for levels that give a decided edge to tank pilots and I thought Ild get another individual, who likes those levels mad by making a contrary post. :twisted:

Oh and Zero! I hold your opinion of me and whatever piloting skills I might have lower then what I sent down the drain this morning.

Oh and Behemoth, the only reason I banned you is because other players were complaining on how jumpy you were. Lets face it. You are jumpy in a lot of places that you play. I was forced to agree.

But that game we just had in the TCO stadium, you looked pretty smooth when everyone else was jumpy. Did you get a better network connection or something?

EDIT: I just checked my ban list and I dont have you in there. I havent deleted from it in a very long time so this must have been quite a while ago.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Nosferatu wrote: Oh and Behemoth, the only reason I banned you is because other players were complaining on how jumpy you were. Lets face it. You are jumpy in a lot of places that you play. I was forced to agree.
If that's the only reason then you wouldnt have tried to make it seem like i was cheating.

Also if that is the only reason then i would appreciate playing on it again.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Behemoth.

When a player is THAT jumpy, sometimes Ill rant and rave in the game about packet gaming. (Dont say it doesnt happen. I have made it clear in other threads that it does.)

I may rant about it in game, but I usually dont put anyone in the ban list unless I get others complaints.

You at least have to admit that when someone is that jumpy and skipping out on every single mega hit at a rate of 100% then the possibility of packet gaming, at least existed at the time.

Anyway, for what its worth you havent been in the ban list in a very long time.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I've been banned too Moth. I should learn to not argue with these chuckleheads though. Don't know why I enjoy it so much.

Guess I'm a chucklehead too. :\\
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

WA dood look @ your avatar! It's full of chuckleheads! DOH!
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zero! »

Nosferatu wrote:Hey Zero! Did I ever say that I had mad dog fighting skills even ONCE in my post? A little reading comprehension please. You really are as intelligent as I thought you are.
no u didnt, but u said the ppl who play tunnel rat levels have no dog fighting skillz, dont go saying they dont have any esp when u dont have any. read posts more carfully next time.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Nosferatu wrote:Behemoth.

When a player is THAT jumpy, sometimes Ill rant and rave in the game about packet gaming. (Dont say it doesnt happen. I have made it clear in other threads that it does.)

Anyway, for what its worth you havent been in the ban list in a very long time.
On the first note, i have cable and probably one of the most reliable actual connections around my area (although i get disconnected lots because of router issues) So if i appear skippy i apologize since i barely move anyways.

I will leave it at that and thank you for lifting the ban, (because admins who ban all the good players ruin it for everybody) thanks again man.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

In Descent 3, Ancient of Days gets my vote.

Overall, it would probably be Year of the Snake. I know that sounds really lame, but it struck a nice primary-favouring balance without ignoring the tactical side of structure. Nysa and Krypton were pretty cool as well, though (although Nysa is quite a difficult level).
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

Krom's post: so true.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

heh...This is potentially the best thread idea possible, even though it does have the potential to be a polling thread. =)

My favorite is probably Neo's Box of Love, soon to be released on PlanetDescent. ^_~ Hey, I have to do some self-pimpin' since I just made the thing recently. ^_~ No, seriously, it's pretty cool. I like it because it \"frees up the 3D\" like Smotie said to me during the testing phase...I like how no matter what, you can automatically start rolling around in any direction, there is no up or down in that level no matter how you spawn.

My other favorite right now is Resination. This level frees up the 3D a bit too. Goodness, there are just so many good dogfighting levels, it's hard to pick just one. I can't even remember them all. =)

Cyclotron III is cool, but not one of my favorites. Hash Bash is fun, but a little too flat for my tastes (I try to be like ThunderBunny when picking levels).
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P