D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

RatoN,

which program do you execute to play descent? What is its name?

Raptor,

patient.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I like 1.5.138 and the weapons toggle is working better... but not always.

I can't switch back to Concussion after switching to Flash. All other secondaries toggle correctly.

Also, when toggling between Helix and Spread, it also toggles which bomb (Prox or Smart).
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by RatoN »

Diedel wrote:RatoN,

which program do you execute to play descent? What is its name?

Raptor,

patient.
Not sure what you mean. I'm using D2X-XL, so d2x-xl.exe.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Your log file quotes a lot of executables, but I couldn't find a reference to D2X-XL (in all that XML mess :P).

Raptor,

please send me a save game from a situation where the boss charges you to karx11erx at hotmail dot com. I couldn't reproduce that. It could be that there is a bug in savegame handling changing some data in the save games.

Peterix,

I couldn't reproduce the problems with D2X-XL levels. Complex levels using transparent walls are only displayed properly if \"render entire mine\" in the render options menu is checked. Take a look at that option. I had also applied a few fixes to these levels recently; you may want to re-download them.
Peterix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peterix »

I tried to play with 'render entire mine', but the crashes didn't go away and walls are still not transparent. Also the cameras behave strangely...

Screenshots:
Crazy camera

The positions of cameras depend on player positions ( when u move, they slide into walls, disappear etc. )

not so transparent walls

camera sliding into wall

some walls are transparent, some aren't, also camera in wall

The crashes went away, when i disabled almost all the advanced rendering options ( only 'render entire mine' remains ).

Maybe my noname radeon 9700 is to blame. :? I'll try it with a different computer.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What drivers are you using?
Peterix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peterix »

Omega v2.6.87
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Did you try the Catalyst drivers?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Diedel wrote:Raptor,

please send me a save game from a situation where the boss charges you to karx11erx at hotmail dot com. I couldn't reproduce that. It could be that there is a bug in savegame handling changing some data in the save games.
I just sent you the file of the save game along with a quick demo. But something odd happened when I replayed the video. The smaller robots seemed to be shaking as the video played. If you can't see it I'll make an avi file of the video.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Problem in version 1.5.142:

All The colored weapon lights, lights almost completely white over segments with static colored light.
If i shoot a red laser in dark rooms or white lighted rooms, it's perfect (it lights red or pale red), but not in colored lighted rooms (where it substitutes the ambient light color with white!! ).
I think maybe the ambient colored light is confused by weapon light like if it was white ambient light.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Noticed a problem, I don't know how far back the problem but, but it goes back at least to version 1.5.123 and is present through the current version 1.5.142...

Some partial transparent walls won't let objects (shots, missles, flares) pass through the gaps.

Example: Descent 2, Vertigo, Level 7. The player should be able to shoot a guided missle through the gaps in the grill seen in this pic and once inside, guide thier missle to a switch that opens the wall... letting the player to some goodies in the passage.

I've compared this with original (un-altered) Descent 2 Vertigo. Can shoot through the grill gaps in original Descent 2, but not with D2X-XL.

I have a saved game you can look at.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Techpro,

fixed. That was a tough one.

Raptor,

fixed. That was a hellishly tough one (although the solution was sooo simple ... :roll: )
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

CMD.Exe (Windows NT based) Commandline is giving me trouble with D2X, On both of my systems.

Screenshot

This has been an issue for a Loooooong time... I remember it as far back as .123 - hadn't noticed it before then, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. It even happens after you checked for the number of args, diedel... lets see how many bugs we can fix before we find the RIGHT bug to fix... lol :P A bug fixed is a bug fixed, right?

Another lighing oddity I noticed a couple of times in a recent version (sorry, I forgot to write down the exact rev, but it hasnt been more than 2 or 3 back) - this may already be fixed, and it is sort of hard to describe. See the pic, its much clearer than words; also, this is the only place I have seen it (so far) -- this is on level 2 of d1, in the hostage room.

EDIT: Just confirmed that this bug has NOTHING to do with what the Cockpit MFDs are set to, 100% reproducable on my system.
Lighting issue

Finally, I'm sure you have heard complaints about the red glow in the start room of D1 level 1. I got to thinking... (which can sometimes be a bad thing, but this time I hope its a good one :P ) I am going to assume that D2X is taking the average of the pixel colors in a secondary texture and using this to create the light color, yes? Last time I checked, that \"alpha\" plackard was not designated as a \"light\" texture -- correct me if I am wrong -- seems to me that the game is applying \"light\" properties to textures that it shouldn't. Make sure that D2X does NOT generate light from non-light secondary textures would be an easy fix for that bug, IMO.

That's all for now. Time to get back to work on the launcher... 8)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

#1 Cannot reproduce.

#2 Will check.

#3 Turn lightmaps off. The animated screen has a red lightmap.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

If it would help, I could make a thread solely for the commandline bug, to see if I can hunt down the cause. Might be a program or something, would only really be able to tell with several people confirming the same problem and listing stats on their machine and proggys...
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RatoN »

I don't know if this was mentioned in the 53 page thread, nor do I know if this is a bug :P

But the game doesn't auto pause when I hit escape, or goto the options menu. Figured I'd put that out there since it's a little weird to me.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

No auto pause with new menu style. Press Alt+P or the Pause key in-menu.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Diedel wrote:No auto pause with new menu style. Press Alt+P or the Pause key in-menu.
Why not?

By the way, the D2X-XL history page on the website is blank.
-Suncho
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RatoN »

Bug for 1.5.145

Loading Vertigo on works on \"Start New Single Player Game\" now, but broke Descent 2: Counterstrike in return. Can't restore the saved games either.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

RatoN wrote:Bug for 1.5.145

Loading Vertigo on works on "Start New Single Player Game" now, but broke Descent 2: Counterstrike in return. Can't restore the saved games either.
Verified, I get an "Error in Mission File" when I try to start a Descent 2: Counterstrike game. It won't play multiplayer either.
-Suncho
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

D3Phoenix wrote:If it would help, I could make a thread solely for the commandline bug, to see if I can hunt down the cause. Might be a program or something, would only really be able to tell with several people confirming the same problem and listing stats on their machine and proggys...
My D2X-XL doesn't run from the command line either. (1.5.145)
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Can't reproduce the D2:CS loading bug, neither with the data in a data subfolder, nor with the data in the Descent main folder.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

1.5.146:

Still can't load Descent 2: Counterstrike. I'll try messing around with it.

I can see trackers now! Yay! Daily Suncho games at 4:00pm CST are back on for tomorrow. =)
-Suncho
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by RatoN »

Suncho wrote:1.5.146:

Still can't load Descent 2: Counterstrike. I'll try messing around with it.

I can see trackers now! Yay! Daily Suncho games at 4:00pm CST are back on for tomorrow. =)
Yeah, I still have the same problem.

Also I still get Descent 1 mission crashes. Next time it happens, I'll try to pin down more info.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Suncho, try to see if there are any background programs you can close to get commandline loading to work and I will do the same.

Diedel, I don't know if this is a \"bug\" or a \"lack of a feature\" AKA suggestion -- You can't play a D1 demo in D2X-XL. I would like to be able to go look at some of my old D1 demos in High-def :P I've got a couple of my favorite room in all of descent -- the big one in the secret level with the 2 robot makers and ZERO LIGHT. Geez that room gave me the creeps -- and I loved it 8)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Hm, just installed 1.5.146 over what I had -- can't start it at all. Black screen, no sound, no nothing. Windows key gets me to a 640x480 desktop where I at least can close d2x-xl. Takes about 2 min until I get my system back tho.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Bug in 1.5.146:

When I have the controls menu up and the last person leaves a multiplayer game, the menu turns orange.

We were in Burning Indika (D2) and playing via UDP/IP on the tracker. We tested it and it happened every time.

Before:

After:

It turns orange after I dismiss the \"You are the only player remaining in this netgame\" message.
-Suncho
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

YAY me!! :D
I was in that game for a short while!! heh :mrgreen:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Yeah, that always happens if you play in one of those totally overplayed, decade old, flat, boxy, anti-Descent groundpounder style crap levels! :evil: :twisted: :x :P

Phoenix,

D1 demos have a different format. I might take a look at them, but no promises.

Edit: D2:CS loading bug reproduced and fixed now (will be available in v1.5.147).
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Diedel wrote:Yeah, that always happens if you play in one of those totally overplayed, decade old, flat, boxy, anti-Descent groundpounder style crap levels! :evil: :twisted: :x :P
We had to play D2 because Neo didn't have D1. ;)
Diedel wrote: Edit: D2:CS loading bug reproduced and fixed now (will be available in v1.5.147).
Whee! Did you figure out what was causing it?
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If I fixed it, I probably figured it first. ;) I could have rattled my computer first, murmuring some 'abracadabra', but I am afraid that wouldn't have helped. :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Diedel wrote:If I fixed it, I probably figured it first. ;) I could have rattled my computer first, murmuring some 'abracadabra', but I am afraid that wouldn't have helped. :P
I'll be more direct. What was causing it?
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The folder handling of the mission loading function wasn't completely adjusted to the improved folder management D2X-XL offers. Curiously enough, I could not reproduce this on my home machine, but only on my workplace computer.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Problems in version 1.5.146:

The mission Descent 2: Counterstrike doesn't load at all. It keeps saying \"Error in mission file\" everytime i select that mission.

And problems on the newest and other older versions as well:

In some missions using the Vertigo HAM (like Entropy 2) the polymodels doesn't load right. It uses the default vertigo polymodels instead of the custom ones the mission had.

And the inventory icons seems with strange colors in all levels that aren't GROUPA.
D3Phoenix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Phoenix »

Hmmm... odd. Not many of the other file formats changed much... :( D1 Demos would be cool, but not critical. Wonder if you could use a part of the D1X source to decipher the demos-- or perhaps if we could come up with some sort of a converter. (If I recall, I can still record a demo in D1 games, but they are saved in a D2 format then???

PS-Still can't get D2X to start on this darned laptop... I've turned off EVERYTHING in render options and stuff, but it simply won't seem to get past flashing a black screen at me.

Update on commandline thing: I CAN launch D2X with commanline parameters from the RUN prompt directly, or through a batch file. The problem ONLY occurs when I try to directly enter \"d2x-xl\" into the command prompt window (CMD.EXE) on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro system. I will try it on my dad's computer (XP Home) sometime tonight if I get a chance. It does not have any of my tools and such installed. I'll be interested to find if I can reproduce the problem on a system that is basically an MS Office box...
RatoN
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RatoN »

Bug for 1.5.148

When I go into the tracker netgame server browser where you look for games, and I put the window out of focus (Not necessarily minimized, because I run windowed mode), D2X stops responding when I click back.

EDIT: New information surfaces. This time the game stopped responding immediately after opening the server browser when Suncho had a game up. It didn't show his server when the game stopped responding.

EDIT #2: It hasn't crashed after enabling Improved UDP/IP Networking Quality

EDIT #3: Okay, it stopped responding again. Can't say for sure what's triggering this.

EDIT #4: Something to do with the tracker game browser is causing similar crashes between me and Suncho. The game stops responding, but music keeps playing.

I'm also having problems, if the server browser doesn't crash the game, I couldn't see the server Suncho created.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

1.5.148:

If I try to host a game on the tracker, the bar fills up:

and it says no trackers are available:

But, if I press escape while the progress bar is filling up, I can start a game afterwards. Or if I try to join a game, and it detects the tracker, I can then start a game.

#2: Main menu still says 1.5.147.
RatoN wrote:Bug for 1.5.148

When I go into the tracker netgame server browser where you look for games, and I put the window out of focus (Not necessarily minimized, because I run windowed mode), D2X stops responding when I click back.

EDIT: New information surfaces. This time the game stopped responding immediately after opening the server browser when Suncho had a game up. It didn't show his server when the game stopped responding.

EDIT #2: It hasn't crashed after enabling Improved UDP/IP Networking Quality

EDIT #3: Okay, it stopped responding again. Can't say for sure what's triggering this.
I think it's when I (the host) has Improve UDP/IP Networking Quality on. We're testing this further.

EDIT: I'm getting this crash too. I had improved udp/ip checked, and then I started a tracker game. I sat on the "forming" screen for a while, then quit out, and went to view the game list. It froze. This happened to me twice.

EDIT: We are able to play if neither of us has improved UDP/IP enabled.
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Should all be fixed in v1.5.149.
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

noticed some palette problems with the inventory icons in a multiplayer game:

Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

1.5.149: We're detecting the tracker, but we can't see each other's games.
-Suncho