cant get dvd burner to work

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

cant get dvd burner to work

Post by Battlebot »

I just bought a Pioneer DVR-610 internal dvd burner. I cant get my to recognize it. I plugged in the IDE power strip and the power cable but still nothin. Like the drive works, the tray will come out and stuff, but the computer doesnt really know it. I Dunno if im missing something...
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Did you check the jumpers on the drive? Make sure it's set to slave if it's connected to a cable with a HD on it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

On that note, its a bad idea to mix a hard drive and an atapi cd/dvd drive on the same ribbon no matter what you do.
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

As Merlin Said, and I've also seen some burners you have to make them the master in order for it to work.
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

Good point Krom
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

i got it, it was the jumper...forgot about those silly things
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Krom wrote:On that note, its a bad idea to mix a hard drive and an atapi cd/dvd drive on the same ribbon no matter what you do.
How so? If you only have 1 cd rom and 1 HD, then yes, put the CD ROM on IDE2 and set it to master. Put the HD on IDE1 and set it as master also.

If you have 2 HDs and 1 CDROM, I've always read it's better to put the HDs on seperate channels cause this way if you copy from HD to HD it will be faster since you can't read/write at the same time if on the same IDE cable.

Yes, granted this way you can't copy a CD on the fly but with ISOs these days it's not hard.