D2X-XL suggestions thread

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Diedel, for the MVL specs, you can found them in http://www.descent2.com

The site has the Developer section containing specs of many D2 file formats. The MVL is just an archive (like the HOG files) containing the MVE files inside. So D2X-XL already supports MVE, the only thing that could be neat, is if D2X-XL could play MVE files outside the MVL archive.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I'd like to see the SVN updated more regularly. I'd rather get source updates from the SVN than download them from the site manually.
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Suncho,

are you kidding?! I am updating the SVN virtually every night! :evil:
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Uh-oh! Suncho, you've angered the beast! :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

rrrrooooAAAAARRRRRRRR!
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Deidel, that D1Demo data is that massive tablefile I've been talking to you about. If my current project suceeds, I'll be able to compile a \"demo\" set of files that would work with, and be distributed with, D2X-XL.

As for ideas...is there ANY way you can take a little time off from making new features/options and clean up your option menus a bit? I'm the kinda guy who loves large menus of options...and even *I* am becoming intimidated a bit. Move the techie options to D2X.ini and leave the more user friendly stuff in the game menus. We don't need the lightmaps options in the game menu...for example.

Also, please clean up the main menu a bit..else, crank the menu resolution up to 640x480 (relatively speaking). Scrolling + main menu = UGH!

Can you simplify the multiplayer menus by compounding the join/create game options into a single pair of options, then adding the TYPE of connection to the game creation page...while cleaning that page itself of excessive options?

Anyway..I LOVE options..but..well. :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Hehe Valin... all the stuff you just requested I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to do myself. =)
-Suncho
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Suncho, look in the ui.c file..you'll find the thread starts from there. You aught to be able to trace most of the menu options from it.

I'd do it myself, but I'm busy with the resource file management code.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

ok
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Valin,

I don't really know what a 'table file' is for you. The pig files contain the data in some order. Additionally, D1 has a table description saying e.g. which textures etc. are in the demo, and which in the full version. D2 does not work like that though, and I am not gonna sift through it just to make D1 demo run with D2X-XL. There's enough left to be done with regular D1 support in D2X-XL. ;)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Valin Halcyon wrote:Suncho, look in the ui.c file..you'll find the thread starts from there.
ui.c is in the unused folder. I think menu.c is a better bet. =)
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Most menus are created in main/menu.c, some in main/network.c, some in arch/sdl/joydefs.c.

I have tiedied up the multiplayer menu.
Seppel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

2 suggestions...

Post by Seppel »

Hello,

first of all: many thanx for that perfect work! Its really great to play D2 again :)

I'm flying through the mines using a 32\" Widescreen TFT and a gamepad. And for optimizing this configuration I have two small (?) suggestions:

1) how about a 1360x768 widescreen resolution? Thats the native resolution for a lot of TV-LCDs...

2) Is there a way to invoke the \"Automap\" using a gamepad or a joystick? That way I would need the keyboard only to start a game...

Thanx in advance,
Seppel
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You're not the first asking for a way to map automap to a joy button ... and adding such a feature is a major PITA ... sigh ... :roll:

Btw, are you German speaking (guessing from your nick here)? :)
Seppel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Seppel »

Diedel wrote:You're not the first asking for a way to map automap to a joy button ... and adding such a feature is a major PITA ... sigh ... :roll:
P.I.T.A. ?
If it's somewhere on the Todo-list, it's ok - I can wait :wink:
Diedel wrote:Btw, are you German speaking (guessing from your nick here)? :)
yepp - bin ich.

Best regards,
Seppel
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

PITA = Pain In The A$$. :mrgreen:

Some things have to wait forever ... :roll: ... but: Alle Deine Wünsche wurden in v1.5.165 erfüllt. ;)

If at least two people request a feature to be added to D2X-XL, I usually do it (if it's feasible with an acceptable amount of work).
Seppel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Seppel »

Diedel wrote: Some things have to wait forever ... :roll: ... but: Alle Deine Wünsche wurden in v1.5.165 erfüllt. ;)
wow! Das war fix :D
Thanx a lot!

just gone - testing...

Seppel
Steel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Steel »

Hi everyone;
I've been hanging around for a while and decided finally to request a couple things.

Better MVE handling: the *-h.mvl movies SHOULD be able to run good on my Athlon XP 1700. But they run at approximatly 2 fps. (No I do not have HQ Movies turned on.)
Diedel wrote:If at least two people request a feature to be added to D2X-XL, I usually do it (if it's feasible with an acceptable amount of work).
Valin Halcyon wrote:...how about simply adding OOF support to D2X-XL? :P
New model support. Although I would like to see a newer format like MD5 be used, I will take whatever I can get. :mrgreen:

Edit: By the way, Great work Diedel for everything added to this point. :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Adding OOF looks like a lot of work.

The movies run very well on my Athlon XP 1800+ Linux box with a lowly GF 2 MX 400. Maybe it's your gfx card/driver?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Here's my feature request:

Let's not add any new features to the code that require the creation of new data.

Example of features not to add:

1. New Models
2. New Game types that require different level design.
3. Anything that hurts the framerate and doesn't significantly improve gameplay.
4. Anything that does not improve the game when the player is using the default data from a fresh install of D2, D1, Vertigo, or either of the demos.

Instead, I request the following:

A complete code overhaul. I've been reading the code and it's somewhat disorganized not very well documented. I'm working on trying to get all this stuff sorted out, myself.

Features that I've seen implemented that I like:
1. Radar
2. UDP/IP Multiplayer
3. Colored Weapon Lighting
4. Custom Weapon Hot Keys
5. Ping meter
6. Crazy Big Resolutions =)
7. Keyboard Ramping, Joystick/Mouse sensitivity control etc.

Features I've seen implemented that I don't care about:
1. All the new stuff in levels... high res textures... wind tunnels etc... fluid dynamics... etc.
2. Entropy support.
3. Advanced CTF support.

This stuff might be fun to use later on after the game becomes popular, but right now there aren't many people playing it.
-Suncho
Steel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Steel »

Adding *support* for something does not mean it has to be used.

Clarification on MVE's: robot movies are slow. Other movies play fine. Video Card= Nvidia Geforce FX 5700LE, driver 81.98 official.

Edit: Dediel, some of the stuff you have added was a lot of work; and seeing hi-poly pyro's and robots made would be a big plus.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Steel wrote:Adding *support* for something does not mean it has to be used.
Right. But it does mean that Diedel spends his time working on that instead of working on other things.

It's completely up to him, of course. But I'd prefer to see the code get organized. Organized code makes it easier to add these features in the future.
-Suncho
Steel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Steel »

Mabye he could add it to the 'when I'm really bored' todo list :)

And, Suncho, I agree to the organized code thing. I have worked with C++ some and realize how quickly code can get disorgainzed. Then changing things can get really ugly.
Seppel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Seppel »

Hi Diedel,

I think a little bug sneaked into the last release:
I've selected a joy-button for \"Automap\" - but in the game the button doesn't work, instead the button I assigned for \"Slide on\" now works as a Slide/Automap-combination ;)
After some further joystick-config exploration it seems like the Automap-feature is hardcoded to Button0 - no matter what you assign to it...

And just cosmetical: you forgot to rename the new 1360-resolution. In the resolution-dialog appear 2x \"12??x768\" - and the second entry is the 1360x768 resolution...

Anyway - thanx for your great & fast work,
Seppel
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Suncho,

I will definitely not reorganize all that code. If I really started that, I'd end up with recoding everything in C++, and I definitely do not have the time for that. :P

I prefer adding stuff like particle systems (just finishing these ;)), high res models (that's something I'd really love to see and would be willing to spend some more work on), or shadows.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Ok. =)
-Suncho
Steel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Steel »

Diedel wrote:I prefer adding stuff like particle systems (just finishing these ;)), high res models (that's something I'd really love to see and would be willing to spend some more work on), or shadows.
Yay! With a few level makers, Valin Halcyon's models, and stuff like this, I see great things ahead. :D
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

Ok...yeah, sorry Suncho, my main source of source code knowledge is from D1src original, when I was working on Descent.NET. ui.c is very much obsolete. :P In D2X-XL, try looking in game.c for the keyboard shortcuts as well...good for creating a debug menu, of which in fact, there were a few in the original D1 source. Just make a c file with the menu function in it..be sure to include the files needed for the menu function protos and then include the new file's header in the game.c and then setup a alt or debug key combination to invoke it.

OOF support: Yeah, it'll be a little tough, but look at the longer term rewards. We still have the ability to take a max file and turn it into a Descent-useable OOF model. If we gained OOF support for D2X-XL, taking the game hi-detail would really be MUCH easier.

tablefiles: Yes, I know D2 stopped using it. It took me a bit to figure out what it did differently from D1, now I know. The big change delt with how it managed the multiple pallet pigfiles. It split off the POF model data and moved it into the HAM file, and moved the sound data into the S11 and S22 files. Pigfiles in D2 are strictly texture data.

--I am working on a C++ class that will enable the seamless and logical manaement of Descent resource files--

Oh, and thanks for pointing out that insane double abstraction that the code uses, Deidel.

I just wanted to add the abilty to create a couple of additional ships, but instead found that a good bit needs rennovated first.

By the way..the D3Edit SDK has a LOT of nice tidbits I'm borrowing and/or learning from. ;)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

A few suggestions:

A quick save key like D3 (i said this before :P )

Support for high-res TGA briefing images (Yay!) :D

And the classic and most wanted (although of less priority): OGG support :wink:
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Diedel,

As there seems to be confusion as to whether hi-res textures are being used, would you mind putting up two screenshots of the same area, one hi-res, the other standard and list what .ini switches need to be included and which option boxes need to be ticked. This would help by at least making sure that everyone has the \"right\" settings to start with plus knowing what we are looking for.

LOVE the smoke trails :D

Weyrman

ps v.174 shows v.172
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

get v1.5.174b.

Screenies see the Win bug report thread.
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

How about a \"tinted\" camera monitor view? Like, when you set up a camera, the target monitor is tinted a certain color, or even black and white. You can even make that an option in DLE-XP. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hires models first. I have already coded preliminary OOF reading functions, but I am not quite sure about the current OOF specs, and I need an OOF file to experiment with (e.g. the D4 Pyro model).
Steel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Steel »

Diedel wrote:Hires models first. I have already coded preliminary OOF reading functions, but I am not quite sure about the current OOF specs, and I need an OOF file to experiment with (e.g. the D4 Pyro model).
http://www.dfiles.de/download/d4/misc/models/d4gx_2.zip
This is the D4 Pyro GX in a D3 Hog file. Hope this helps. :)

Edit: Why can't I use HTML in this thread?
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Apparently, HTML is turned off in this forum. My only question is does this apply to everyone or just newer members?

Like the smoke effects! :)
Dynamite
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

How about some suggestions for triggers?

Post by Dynamite »

My suggestions for triggers:

-A cube type changing trigger
-A trigger type changing trigger :)
-Having the ability to put more than one trigger in a standard wall.
-A trigger which destroys robots and powerups
-Object triggers for non-robot objects as well as robots
-A texture changing trigger
-Triggers that only activate when certain triggers are pressed
-Triggers which change robot weapons
-Powerup/Shield/Energy reaping triggers for D2 as well
-Song changing triggers
"If you vote for me, all of your wildest dreams will come true." -Pedro Sanchez,Napoleon Dynamite
AgentMascan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by AgentMascan »

I've come up with a few things I would like to see in the game:

This may be difficult, but it would be great if the map had shared vision in coop mode. When an ally explores a different part of the level, it would automatically update your map as well.

Allow use of separate joystick buttons for turn left and turn right (not just axis control). If nothing else I would like to see this one implemented as I would have no reason not to use my gamepad :mrgreen:.

Support for more mouse buttons, my mouse has 7 buttons if you count mwheelup & mwheeldown.

And last of all, one more vote for mp3/ogg support.

Nice work on improving d2x and keeping its legacy moving. I will definitely be watching as more features and fixes are added.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

why are you attempting to use OOF imports??? ugly broken model format.... BTW they were all .3DS files before they became OOF [nudge]

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Well ... maybe 3ds would be a better way to go ... but it shouldn't get overly complicated.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

BUBBALOU wrote:why are you attempting to use OOF imports??? ugly broken model format.... BTW they were all .3DS files before they became OOF [nudge]
BTW, not everyone has whatever program creates\\edits .3DS files...

I was wondering if it would be possible to add support from .OGF and .OAF files.