Dose anyone here burn dvds?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Dose anyone here burn dvds?

Post by Isaac »

I got a dvdr/rw from a friend, but it had no cd or manual.
I plug her in the back and shove a disk through the front.

It could play dvd's but it wouldn't burn.
So i go online for drivers and dug up nero from my cd box.

Every time i try to burn anything (after nero converts the data and tries to access the dvd player) it will fail.

I've tried other burning software packages over a few months and i'm starting to wonder if the DVD burner is bad. Is there something im missing? i thought i just need drivers and a burning package for this to work.
:?:
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

What exactly are you trying to burn, and what disk type did you select in Nero?
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

data and also a dvd video cd from an avi file i made.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Ok, I suggest you install Nero VisionExpress if you haven't already and use that to convert your video to the proper format (.vob). That should be part of the second \"package\" (you get the latest version of all three packages here). That'll get the video in the right format, and should burn the disk just fine. If that doesn't work, then your problem may be the media itself. As far as just regular data, you just burn that like you would a CD (use the DVD-ISO template). Also, make sure you selected DVD as your disk type at the template prompt, not CD. That will cause errors as well.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

sorry... i just found out that i can't flash my dvd drive... so im guessing the hardware is bad. I'll try what you said but if that doesn’t work then im just forking over the 30 bux for a new one.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

DVD burners are just like CD Burners in windows 2000, plug in the drive, and use nero or any other burning software that can handle DVDs and you are done. But without that burning software, it's only a DVD-ROM drive.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

What version of Nero? Did you update Nero?
And did you try to flash the DVD RW drive because of Region restrictions?

If you didn't save the origional ROM you may be able find it at some sites.

Also you need to purchase the DVD decoder plugin if you have the OEM version to recode AVI to VOB.

The $75.00 CAD version Nero 7 Retail includes the plugin.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I've tried about six different dvd burning packages and they all act like my dvd player can't burn dvds.

I flashed my drive because i read on a forum, that might be the problem.
Jagori
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jagori »

Do you know if your drive burns DVD-R or DVD+R? Gotta make sure the disks you're trying to burn match up with what your drive is capable of burning. A friend of mine got a box of DVD-Rs not knowing he had a DVD+R burner and ended up with a nice 10-pack of coasters.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Wow! I did not know that but it says DVD ± R/RW.
So it should burn both, right?

it took me 20 mintues to find the '±' symbol
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

It will burn all 4 versions

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sounds like your problem is either the drive or the media. Might want to get a cheap 5-pack of ANOTHER brand and see if that works.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I like CyberLink PowerDirector and PowerProducer. It's super high-level, so you don't need to know much. I just proiduced my first DVD from a bunch of small movies (all different formats) and a huge number of images, plus a bunch of music. Took about 2 hours from go to wo.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Nice of you to skim the thread Mobi..... ;)
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Ok i can burn DVDs now!
crowd-> :D :o :D :D :lol: :D

But now im trying to make my own Menus. My friend has been using adobe encore, but complains about it sometimes. What would be the best for burning home made videos/animations to dvd + custom menus.