DLE-XP Bug Report Thread

Read and write DLE-XP bug reports, suggestions and general discussion here. Home Page

Moderator: Aus-RED-5

jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

ok, i think now i get it. illuminate sets light values only relative to actual "light" texture location. if i have NO lights then there IS NO way
to set the lighting in a mine.

this to me is deficient. i now have request/ question. can a corner light value setter be added
to dle? is there a way to do it now? i believe that it is needed for building a mine as a way to set a starting point before you add lights. as it was said, if you have no lights then the whole mine will be set to 0. which is what happened to me. this is not intuitive and at least a warning that all light will be quenched if no light textures are present.

how about check box for setting the corner lighting to an absolute value regardless of any lights present? put small notice about it or that if you use illuminate with no lights present, your lighting will be zeroed? to me illuminate implies "illuminate" the level. it does not say illuminate lights only. NOW i understand why i didn't comprehend how the dang thing worked. this is how bad things happen. lack of understanding the frame of reference.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

jakee308 wrote:if i have NO lights then there IS NO way to set the lighting in a mine.
This is wrong. You can manually edit the corner lights. You must not use the illumination function on these lights and their nearby though. To have a light somewhere w/o a light texture, use the 'empty light' texture as secondary (overlay) texture. That way you can achieve neat lighting effects. To get more control over illumination (without using light textures, you can use some otherwise unused texture as primary texture and give it an appropriate brightness value to have its surroundings lit the way you want it, and place the desired wall texture over it as an overlay.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

i guess i should have said there is no way to set large number of cube lighting at one time. doing each cube x 6 x 4 corners adds up to a lot of manual corner light setting.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I know exactly what you're talking about. Setting each corner light manually is not really a solution, I know. :P
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Image »

Lights in the latest version of DLE-XP are doing something funky... :oops:

It's making them way too dark.

Here's a picture of an unshaded level with all the lights as you can see here (a D1 level):

and here is what I get when I go to the lights tab, don't do anything, and click "Apply":

This problem occurs when I load a level and click "Apply" for lights -- with or without doing any editing to the level. :(
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

As always, I need the level file to look into this. When I light my levels, everything works as intended.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I remember making a few levels in DMB2 years ago, and the levels were lit exactly like that. I fixed it by adding more lights. :)

A light 'Texture' isn't enough. it has to have the light flag enabled, and I don't recall what it's named off-hand.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Um, in DMB2/DLE-XP, any texture with a " - light" suffix casts light.

In DLE-XP, the amount they cast is set by the brightness slider (there are defaults for this, but if you don't like them you can change them).

More lights is a good solution when you can find places to put them (although Image's level has more lights than mine usually do already).
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

key phrase in my post was 'years ago', sirius. ;)
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I think the framerate drops when I'm stretching a cube or aligning the texture.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Diedel - is it just me or does the texture picker not scroll in "Used textures" mode, when you have more textures than the list will fit?

Mine shows 64 - I have 69 textures in the mine, but can't see any of the last four or five (depending on whether or not DLE-XP counts rock021 on joined sides - I remember DMB2 did).
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

dunno, will check.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

i've noticed that when you shift to "used textures" the vertical scroll bar disappears. when you shift back to "all textures" the scroll bar stays gone.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I cannot observe any problems with the texture view scrollbar. :?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmmm. Most interesting.

It doesn't have anything to do with different DLL versions?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

DLE-XP doesn't use DLLs. Everything is statically linked.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Which makes explaining it really, really hard.

Oh well... I'm sure there are ways around it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You could look into the texture filters tab and check whether some categories are unchecked there after switching to 'only used' and back to 'all'.
AndyX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AndyX »

I think i´ve found a bug:

In \"texture edit...\" on the \"edit\" button, i can load or modify the texture. But everytime i try it, the leveleditor crashes :( :?

mfg,
AndyX

PS: Sorry for my bad english, i´m only 13 years.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Andy,

schreib mir ne PM auf deutsch. Ich schaue mir den Fehler morgen mal an. ;)
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Sorry for bumping this but, Every time I open a level, the editor crashes
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Try to re-download it.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Maybe the crash occured when I open levels made with the previous versions.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

No, the second latest fix was buggy and I fixed it w/o bumping the version no.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Okay, nevermind, it didn't crash
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

2 objects when I want one...

Post by reetus »

I am PROBABLY doing something wrong but it seems everytime I try to add an object or a robot it makes 2 of them. Most of the time it's in the \"other cube\" but not always. Sometimes it appears in a random spot and everytime i try to delete an object it deletes the player even if I move both cubes to the spot where the object or robot resides.
CarzyRoBoT
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by CarzyRoBoT »

If I try and make a wall or cube smaller than the limit, the \"too small to move\" dialogue box pops up, but won't go away. Every time I click OK, another one just pops up in its place. I have to completely shut down and restart DLE-XP (via Task Manager) to get it to stop.

I think whatever code's supposed to cancel that kind of action may be either missing or invalid.

Also, if I've been working with DLE-XP for a while, whenever I try and run the lighting, it lights the entire level up like a lantern, instead of just the parts that have light textures. Restarting DLE-XP seems to fix this, but sometimes I have to restart it several times before it'll work right.

I'm not sure what's causing this, but you may wanna look into it. ;)

EDIT: Never mind. The lights are my fault. :mrgreen:

Thanks!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

CarzyRoBoT wrote:EDIT: Never mind. The lights are my fault. :mrgreen:Thanks!
:lol: I never had that problem.

I will fix the error message bug.

edit: Cannot reproduce the error message issue, neither with expert mode off nor on.
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

attn deidel

Post by reetus »

I posted a level that is an example of a bug I've found in alt.binaries.descent. Please let me know what is going on.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Where is that level.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Diedel, There's an error in the ZIP file of DLE-XP on your site.

It is supposed to download version 1.5.30 but there's version 1.5.29 instead (inside the ZIP)
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Lighting goes through walls. Yes, I consider this a bug. :P

For example, if I have a red light on one side of the door, the light will come through the door, turning things on the other side red as well.

Wait a minute... haven't you been working on this? Ohwell, you could always use more pressure, I'm sure! :P:wink:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Next thing you'd do if I changed this was complaining that lighting does not go through open doors. :P
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Well, yeah... maybe... :P
Actually, what could maybe be done would be a per-wall option of whether or not light can pass through it. Then maybe you could store that data in the *.lgt file... Might work. :)

Something else I just discovered (not sure if this is DLE-XP or D2X-XL's problem, but...) is that, when I destroy a light, although the brightness dissappears, the color does not.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

D3Hack, for the colored light with destroyed lights:
Just use Colored Weapon Light and Mix Ambient light in D2X-XL.

Voilá!! :D
Dynamite
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dynamite »

One bug report I have is about robot triggers. Once I edited a texture in a level with object triggers, clicked \"save\" and the 'bot triggers did not work in D2X-XL.

I went back into DLE-XP and there were no robot triggers there! I replaced the robot triggers, but I fear it may happen again. :x
"If you vote for me, all of your wildest dreams will come true." -Pedro Sanchez,Napoleon Dynamite
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

\"edit: Cannot reproduce the error message issue, neither with expert mode off nor on.\"

I know it's been awhile, but...

Add a cube, set the Move Rate to 10, keep pushing the front face back. Eventually (for me), it'll show the \"too small to move\" error. Apparently, when this happens, DLE-XP doesn't reverse the action, as the same error keeps popping back up when I click OK. I don't know if it'll do this for you (you seem to have no trouble where everyone else does for some reason. Are you a wizard or something?:P).
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

object/robot direction

Post by reetus »

I've searched the posts and done some experimenting but I can't seem to find what I need to do what I need....how do you change which way a robot or object is facing?
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Select object (object should be red), click the \"rotate\" button in the editor toolbox. The object will then rotate in relation the cube side currently selected. I'd make sure the side above the object is selected before doing anything. ;)

Any luck with that error message Diedel?
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

thanks robot

Post by reetus »

I remember seeing that little editor thing with the arrows before but I didn't know what it was for. Now I do and thank you very much for replying