Descent 1

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

{Hawk}Liquid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 1

Post by {Hawk}Liquid »

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=933158

I find this awesome that it was out for psx.

<< Wonders about the controls >>
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

heh! I picked it up used for 2 dollars at Babbages a while back. The music on there is really good, its remixes of the D1 tracks with some D2 redbook on there.

Cant say I really got the hang of the controls though. Its hard enough to fly with the keyboard, but flying on a gamepad for me is pretty hard. I had it for PC already, so I extracted the music tracks off of it and havent played it since.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I rented it one time and had about the same problem with it as I did with Forsaken on a regular controller. Nothing beats D1 on the PC with a 3D Pro.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

d1 for the psx didnt do the game justice.

however, if it had done half decently... who knows how we'd be doing now? :)
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

^_^

You should call it PS1 so it won't be confused with the new PS2 that was released called PSX.
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Combat Mode

Post by Mickey1 »

If you linked two PS you got access to the combat menu. Multi-player with my boy was very fun. He had no trouble beating me with those controlers. Got my first computer to play Descent3 multi. But now I tri-cord with my feet and he doesn't have a chance. Ha, Ha, Ha KaBoom!
KaTaNa
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KaTaNa »

Does this work in a PS2?
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Ver?

Post by Mickey1 »

The PS2 would have to have a link port. I think some of the first units had a link port but heard it was discontinued. Both units need a link port and you need a link cable. When the units are connected the combat menue can be used. Multi-Player 1 ON 1 fun can then begin:)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I bought that for 4 bucks. The controls weren't that bad. :)
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Controls were about as intuitive as you could make them, given the limited set of buttons.

D-pad turns your ship up, down, left, and right.

Triangle accelerates forward, Cross reverses.
Square slides left, Circle slies right.

The shoulder buttons are mainly for primary and secondary firing. Select + these buttons cycles through the available weapons.

Controls can also be configured in one of many preset schemes aside from the default above.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Didn't someone post a link from before with all of the PSX audio tracks for download? Im freakin' interested to hear it.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Actually, Kyouryuu, as long as you have a memory card, you can create and save an entirely custom controls profile. Mine may seem a little strange, but it works surprisingly well. I use the D-pad for pitch/turn (obviously :P) and O, X, Square, and Triangle for sliding up, down, left, and right. Moving forward and backward is L1 and L2, and R1 and R2 control primary and secondary weapons. Select + L1 and R1 change primary/secondary weapons selection, and Select + L2 and R2 control banking. Select + X fires flares, and Select + O lays mines. I use the same config in Descent: Maximum, adding Select + Square for headlight and Select + Triangle for markers. I was able to beat Descent: Maximum with that config, and I'm in the process of playing Descent.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i was gonna say, i had D1 on PS1 and i had a total custom controls layout, with a mem card i saved it and my game data
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I found the game impossible to control (then again I despise the PlayStation controller, waaaay too small for my hands), and the graphics were more stuttery than my 25 Mhz 486.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Ver?

Post by Admiral LSD »

Mickey1 wrote:The PS2 would have to have a link port. I think some of the first units had a link port but heard it was discontinued. Both units need a link port and you need a link cable. When the units are connected the combat menue can be used. Multi-Player 1 ON 1 fun can then begin:)
Nah, the PS2 didn't have a Link port the same as the PS1. It had a Firewire (IEEE1394) which could essentially do the same thing but was not compatible. That's what's been removed from the later PS2s, my first unit (an SCPH-30002) had it but my new one (an SCPH-50002) doesn't.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Yea top wop, I was thinking the same thing.

For some reason or another, I didn't download them the first time they were available...
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Didn't someone post a link from before with all of the PSX audio tracks for download? Im freakin' interested to hear it.
Warlock did a while ago, but the local RIAA agents jumped on his post. A while later he redid the tracks due to poorly converting them the first time.

As previously stated, some of the tracks are nicely redone versions of the midis.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

What an excellent opportunity to give the board's new PM feature a test. ;)

:ahem:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I have that plus Descent Maximum too

That Port was actually taken from the MAC version..but anyways

I use to use the Orginal 2 stick Analog Controller(yeah the one that was pictured on the PS1 box for almost 2 years before it was offically available) and linked with my roomate and his PS1

being nice to NEO even though PS1 was orginally called PSX but you know he was playing nintendo at the time... Right Mrs. SAMUS
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hehe, I just got a copy a while back for the heck of it. Saw it, so I picked it up. It's what made me love Descent. :)