Crash Different

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Crash Different

Post by Duper »

with a Mac

this is old, but it's a classic. And it's a gentle reminder that \"intel inside\" don't mean jack. ;)

...er won't.....
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

It may be old, but I had never seen it before. Thanks for the laugh.
Mac killed my inner child
That slayed me. :lol:
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Where I work we only have MAC's, and its so true. But on the other hand it's very rare any of that happens.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

You think using one is bad, trying repairing them. Power supply died on your G5? Gotta remove the motherboard and CPU(s) (among other things) to get to it. Want to upgrade the hard drive on your iBook or PowerBook? Good luck, you'll have to virtually disassemble the entire laptop just to get to the hard drive. And don't even get me started on the new iMacs. :mad:
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Hello, this is Dakatsu's representivives. We are sorry, but Dakatsu is laughing his ass off. In case of this event, he asked for us to post this:
LFMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peter »

Bunch of talk and no support yet again... *sigh*

And if you count that video as support, sorry to burst your bubble but it is absolutely wrong. He comes up with stuff that does not happen at all. He references things in separate OS revisions (to put it in terms for you guys, talking about Windows XP then talking about something in Windows 3.1). He is totally off base and has no idea what he is talking about. He is no Mac user.

Of course intel inside won't mean jack. It is the freaking processor, not the OS. Thank goodness I am using Mac OS X and not Windows XP as it does not crash as much and is so much easier to use and is so much more powerful. Unix rocks your life.

But you are quite amazing to post this on Apple Computer's 30th birthday. Given the fact that Apple created the first personal computer and has done the most inventive and revolutionary stuff in the industry, I would think you would at least be a little thankful to them as the PC would not exist if it wasn't for Apple.

Of course the iMac is hard to disassemble! It wasn't made to be silly. All that it was made to upgrade is the RAM and attach external stuff. As for the power supply on the G5, you don't need to remove the mother board. It is just on the bottom.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

OK Mr. FanBoy... :roll:

THIS WAS A JOKE!!!!!!

So sit down, STFU, Breath a little and Laugh.

ALL computers have problems. Most of us work on computers here to some degree.

btw, he IS a MAC user. google his name and will find out who this guy is. He's a director/editor. Also, this is about 5 years old.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

Duper wrote:OK Mr. FanBoy... :roll:

THIS WAS A JOKE!!!!!!

btw, he IS a MAC user. google his name and will find out who this guy is. He's a director/editor. Also, this is about 5 years old.
Which would be OS 9 or maybe 8 and not OS 10 which is a hardend BSD Linux anyway. At least one manufacter has inteligence and loads Linux out the box. :twisted:
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Who needs Windows XP, MAC OS or even Linix.

[fullof$hit]Windows Vista will own all[/fullof$hit]
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Unix »

[MAC]Peter wrote:Unix rocks your life.
Who told?
-Unix
My Music
Peter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Peter »

Duper wrote:OK Mr. FanBoy... :roll:

THIS WAS A JOKE!!!!!!

BLAH. But I don't want to breath! Err... I mean laugh... :oops:
I am no fanboy but I sound like one! :mrgreen:
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

My personal favorite \"switch\" commercial...

Switch to Linux
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Nice one.
-Unix
My Music
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL! Thanks Stick!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

My friend wants a mac... i'm thinking of sending him that vid.

(im on a crap mac right now)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Sorry, Peter, everything in that movie is 100% factual. I work with Protools on an almost-daily basis, and it has done crashed consistently on three different versions of OS X in the exact manner described.

Unlike Windows, OS X doesn't crash editing text files. But for some reason it seems that the more complicated the software gets, the less likely it is to crash on Windows and the more likely it is to crash on OS X.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Too true, I have a friend who runs Protools on a new G5, and he says it crashes once a day, no matter what. He says it never happened to his G3 running OS 9. Go figure.

(off-topic)
I'm gonna use Ardour in Linux for my recording, and get the best of both worlds :)
Peter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Peter »

DCrazy wrote:Sorry, Peter, everything in that movie is 100% factual.
:roll:
DCrazy wrote:I work with Protools on an almost-daily basis, and it has done crashed consistently on three different versions of OS X in the exact manner described.
And apparently Digidesign doesn't know how to make a good product that is cross-platform.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Flatlander »

[MAC]Peter wrote: Of course the iMac is hard to disassemble! It wasn't made to be silly. All that it was made to upgrade is the RAM and attach external stuff. As for the power supply on the G5, you don't need to remove the mother board. It is just on the bottom.
I'm not speaking from the point of view of an end-user, but from that of a repair tech. And I just replaced a G5 power supply the other day; yes, you do have to take out the motherboard (among other things).
si vis pacem, para bellum
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Considering Digidesign didn't write the Core Audio component of Mac OS X, which just vanished and forced us to reinstall the OS, I highly doubt it was their fault.

This also reminds me of when I was putting together a movie for Spanish class using iMovie in sophomore year of high school (three years ago). I plugged in the external DVD burner and the somehow the internal HDD got zapped. WTF?! Took many hours of booting from the CD and frantic finagling to recover anything (thank God I had saved my project to an external hard drive). The film class was quite upset, however, that everyone had lost all of their work forever.

Peter, quit being a fanboy. All computers die hard. Windows, Mac OS, Linux. While I haven't had anything catastrophic happen to me on Linux (yet), just today my college's Novell NetStorage survers suffered a complete database failure causing all of us to lose any data we had saved on the network shares. They had recently upgraded to the latest version of Novell's crap, er I mean stuff, which is all Linux.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Topher »

[MAC]Peter wrote:Of course intel inside won't mean jack. It is the freaking processor, not the OS.
You're obviously not into the technical side of computers, because there is no bigger deal than switching the processor.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

[MAC]Peter wrote:Of course intel inside won't mean jack. It is the freaking processor, not the OS.
Here's a hint: when you use a different architecture (different processor and therefore completely different OS) you have to rewrite the operating system!
Peter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peter »

I think I am going to let topic die as my posts aren't really contributing to the Descent community. I know I took it a little hard even though it is a joke and all.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Hehe. I remember watching this video 3 years ago. I'd almost forgotten about it. =)
-Suncho
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Peter: give up the fanbyism. the mac side lost.

Being that macs now run pc parts (processor, videocards, etc) they're basically a pc with a different dressing. and now that you can boot windows XP on a mac, the mac is now a PC.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

I know you're just pulling Peter's strings, but, No, the PC hasn't won just yet. The Mac is all about the interface and the interactions with the computer, the technical things on which it relies is irrelevant. So the Mac side could care less about what parts are used in a Mac. Of course, the PC side can go on thinking it has won if it makes you happy...
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Bootcamp says different.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Topher »

Pandora wrote:I know you're just pulling Peter's strings, but, No, the PC hasn't won just yet. The Mac is all about the interface and the interactions with the computer, the technical things on which it relies is irrelevant. So the Mac side could care less about what parts are used in a Mac. Of course, the PC side can go on thinking it has won if it makes you happy...
Huh?

So the "Mac" now is defined as just OS X? If the technical side is irrelavent, why don't people always produce software for Windows and Mac? If it's all about the interactions with the computer, why can't I freakin' right click?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

because options are not an option.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

@Ferno: don't get your knowledge from marketing blurbs.

@Topher: Of course, the technical side does matter. If the keyboard has the right feel, if the machine runs cool and silent, if it is fast enough, etc. --- every aspect that affects my interaction with the computer matters. But what processor is responsible for this experience - 68xxx, G4, G5, Intel or whatever - is totally irrelevant, as long as the way you interact with the computer stays the same (as long as you're not also a fanboy of a certain processor type).

As an aside: I right click on my mac since 10 years or so, without having to install anything. Try it out before regurgitating the old myths over and over again...

@Duper: sometimes, restricting options is a good thing. I could find some links for psychological research done on this but I'm too lazy right now. Maybe later...
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

sorry, pressed the wrong button
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Yes, I agree. Macs are great for folks who are to scared to learn. Even on a mac, I've seen a 4 yo weck havoc with a few simple clicks.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Topher »

[quote="Pandora"]@Topher: Of course, the technical side does matter. If the keyboard has the right feel, if the machine runs cool and silent, if it is fast enough, etc. --- every aspect that affects my interaction with the computer matters. But what processor is responsible for this experience - 68xxx, G4, G5, Intel or whatever - is totally irrelevant, as long as the way you interact with the computer stays the same (as long as you're not also a fanboy of a certain processor type).

As an aside: I right click on my mac since 10 years or so, without having to install anything. Try it out before regurgitating the old myths over and over again...[\\quote]

Supporting different processors increases costs.
Supporting different processors decreases speed since you can't optimize for one over the other.

Therefore, supporting different processors will change your interaction with a Mac and your willingness to buy it.

I think we've digressed from talking about one OS over the other to saying who has a shiner case...
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Topher »

[quote="Pandora"]@Topher: Of course, the technical side does matter. If the keyboard has the right feel, if the machine runs cool and silent, if it is fast enough, etc. --- every aspect that affects my interaction with the computer matters. But what processor is responsible for this experience - 68xxx, G4, G5, Intel or whatever - is totally irrelevant, as long as the way you interact with the computer stays the same (as long as you're not also a fanboy of a certain processor type).

As an aside: I right click on my mac since 10 years or so, without having to install anything. Try it out before regurgitating the old myths over and over again...[\\quote]

Supporting different processors increases costs.
Supporting different processors decreases speed since you can't optimize for one over the other.

Therefore, supporting different processors will change your interaction with a Mac and your willingness to buy it.

I think we've digressed from talking about one OS over the other to saying who has a shiner case...
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Pandora wrote:@Ferno: don't get your knowledge from marketing blurbs.
how does what I linked qualify as a 'marketing blurb'?
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

sorry, Ferno, maybe I misunderstood you. Why did you post the link, what does it prove?
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

Duper wrote:Yes, I agree. Macs are great for folks who are to scared to learn. Even on a mac, I've seen a 4 yo weck havoc with a few simple clicks.
Not 'scared to learn', rather 'not interested to learn'. Really, I have better things to do than learning about an OS that gets in my way. For me (!) OS X just lets me focus on the important parts of my work.. Maybe this is how Windows works for you...

edit: I'm not trying to convince anyone that the Mac is better, I am just saying that Windows has not yet won.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

Topher wrote:Supporting different processors increases costs.

Agreed. But what matters to the user is not what the name of the processor is - and whether it's the same that's also in a PC - but that there are some changes in the interaction. That's *exactly* my point. And you won't argue that this small change that you pointed out is drastic enough to warrant proclaiming that the 'PC has won', right?

edit: does anybody else have weird problems with the DBB? It was gone for 6 hours or so, now back, then gone again...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well, I mean scared. Many of the people I work with are frightened of computers. My Dad included. They're afraid they'll break something. Course, that was my Dad's reason for everything when I wanted to fix something or tear it apart to see how it worked. :mrgreen:

I don't how many computer's I've \"broken\" over the years. But I can almost always fix them.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

To get things straight:

When Jobs came back, when apple bought Next, they got the nextstep , which at the point had run on Sparcs to 486's, and Apple has maintained that cross platform capability when it became the basis for OSX, how quickly everyone forgets about darwin.

Its been running on x86 for more than a decade, so switching from IBM to Intel only added the cost of Rosetta - and thats wasn't like it was the first time Apple did something like that either, and I wouldn't be surprised if the switch was an eventuality Jobs planned for.

Here's a Mantra: Apple is a hardware company.