D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Re. the walls behind see-through textures: Try to use -gl_alttexmerge 0 in d2x.ini. I don't have this problem though.

I don't have any crashes with the game, but I have tried to make the menus safer against bogus data read from corrupted player files (which can be caused by some recent changes to D2X-XL) by clamping all values to reasonable bounds before feeding them into the menu.
Peterix
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peterix »

finally got to some more testing :)

1.6.15 - no lightmaps
corrupted animated textures, bad lights

lightmaps
Still crashes... i'm certain that it's something with the dynamic lights. It crashes when i shoot flares.
it stops crashing when i switch lightmaps->nolightmaps->lightmaps

there's a no attack zone in a mission 1 secret... see screenshot:

more screenshots:
bad textures

very strange lighting errors
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I need a save game for the no attack zone.
Yogi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Door Animation and 1.6.15

Post by Yogi »

Sorry if this bug has already been mentioned here. Using 1.6.15 and Novacron's hi-res textures, I see corrupt animation next to each door (looks like a fuzzy TV screen) in D2 Vertigo level 12. I have already sent JPG and savegame level to Diedel.

Yogi
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Bug in 1.6.16:

All levels are 100% full bright with white lights (even colored light levels).
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Grendel wrote:Hm, just installed 1.5.146 over what I had -- can't start it at all. Black screen, no sound, no nothing. Windows key gets me to a 640x480 desktop where I at least can close d2x-xl. Takes about 2 min until I get my system back tho.
Thought enough time passed to retry D2X -- installed 1.6.16 over above version, same effect except D2X now starts in a window instead of FS. Any ideas ?

Edit: found -printlog. Last entry in d2x.log is "Initializing movies"
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Pumo wrote:Bug in 1.6.16:

All levels are 100% full bright with white lights (even colored light levels).
Set contrast in render options to standard.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

I've set the contrast to standard, also tested other settings, but still the same result.
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by RoBoT »

[quote="Grendel"]Thought enough time passed to retry D2X -- installed 1.6.16 over above version, same effect except D2X now starts in a window instead of FS. Any ideas ?[/quote

ALT-ENTER changes to fullscreen. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Robot,

it doesn't work at all for Grendel - how about reading his entire post?! :P

Pumo,

I found this was a bug. Fixed in v1.6.17.
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

I was just telling him how to change to fullscreen. I don't know much about the rest of his problem, so I left that part for someone who does.;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can bet yer behind Grendel knew that. :P
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

hi-res textures look like stretched 8-bit textures and with light map on, headlight and flares do not light up darkened areas. This was with my current save game, I don't know about new games.

On the other hand, render menu now works in expert mode and I LOVE the shield Sphere!!

Should levels have no fire Areas?

current log file if you need it Here
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Levels should not have no fire areas and I NEED A SAVE GAME SHOWING SUCH BEHAVIOUR!

Forget the bloody lightmaps.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Grendel wrote:
Grendel wrote:Hm, just installed 1.5.146 over what I had -- can't start it at all. Black screen, no sound, no nothing. Windows key gets me to a 640x480 desktop where I at least can close d2x-xl. Takes about 2 min until I get my system back tho.
Thought enough time passed to retry D2X -- installed 1.6.16 over above version, same effect except D2X now starts in a window instead of FS. Any ideas ?

Edit: found -printlog. Last entry in d2x.log is "Initializing movies"
Hm, may be the soundsystem causing the problem -- anyone w/ a Creative X-Fi card running D2X ?
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Diedel wrote:Levels should not have no fire areas and I NEED A SAVE GAME SHOWING SUCH BEHAVIOUR!
I have emailed you a savegame and the level. The no fire area is right where you appear and it is where I have saved it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Grendel,

I will add more output to the debug log to find out what's going wrong on your sysem.

Weyrman,

stuff has arrived, thx; will look into it.
Yogi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

1.6.18 - sound and texture issues

Post by Yogi »

In D2 Vertigo levels I note that the lava textures and door animations are flashing (like a fuzzy TV screen). Also, when firing my lasers, the sounds are real choppy (?)

Anyone else having these issues?

Yogi
dwlpunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dwlpunk »

how do i go fullscreen?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Good, in version 1.6.18 the windows can now display skyboxes! cool! :D

However, there is a little bug:

The impact animation of weapons have black edges when are shooted over doors. Also the animation of the blue energy that appears when entering the mine have black edges.

Ah, and BTW Diedel, i will see if a can convert the level i sent you to an Entropy one. It's originally intented for single-player only and is maybe too big for MP, but maybe i can make a little conversion :wink:
Paolo.n
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Paolo.n »

I'm sorry to bother again, but I still have the problem with the doors, as described in my post 2 pages back. There is a wall texture behind the opened door, so I can't see through. When I use -gl_alttexmerge 0, the doors are OK, but the game runs very slowly (P4 3GHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 9600XT), the hires textures are corrupted and some of the \"normal\" textures are not filtered.
I'll provide some screenshots shortly.

Edit:
So this is my problem:

and this one is with -gl_alttexmerge 0:

Other screenshots and the Log file here: http://www.a-contact.cz/paolo-n/d2x-xl/
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I don't want a screen shot, I want a save game.
Paolo.n
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Paolo.n »

I have add 2 savegames to the above link, the 1st one (default.sg2) is with the textures iin the doors, and if you listen to the sound of falling lava, it seems to be corrupted too - but this is not a serious problem for now.
And hhe 2nd savegame (defautl.sg3) is with -gl_alttexmerge 0.
Yogi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

No 3-D robots in briefings

Post by Yogi »

Even with the latest 1.6.21 (and previous version), I don't see any robots during the briefings for D2 Vertigo. Same issue with the nomovie switch removed.

Oh, and it is my hope that all of you find joy in the true meaning of Easter, the resurrection of Jesus the Lord! Happy Easter!

Yogi
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Bug in 1.6.22:

Paolo.n is right, the lava fall sound is corrupted. Also, when that sound is present, it damages other sounds as well like the laser impacts and shoots (they sound interrupted when in a lava room)
Fighter17
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fighter17 »

The program is not working correctly (the latest version I mean). I try to run it at 1280x800 and it works, but when I try to change the screen size to something else, it goes off center (no matter what screen size I go to). Also for some reason it's not reading my controller setup at all. It reads my profile and all my settings works except the controller. When I go to the config menu and put on the joystick (so it can read my controller), the program shuts off by itself. I can't play the game because I can't use my controller. The older versions of the program works perfectly with my controller, but the new release has some bugs in it.

Like Paolo.n, the games runs very slowly with the high-res option on (Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz (It's on a laptop, so it should be 3.0 GHz) 128MB Radeon Xpress 200M, 512 RAM).
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Wall Texture errors still as reported by Paolo.n, but doors seem to be fine. Testing with D2 main level 1.

Went back to game of DieHard SP mission and had a hostage drop through the floor, as in the following screenshot of the map

(No, add image doesn't go to the right page, no upload field)

A zip file with screenshot, savegames and logfile can be found Here

Edit: In the same game, just through the blue door, vulcan ammo floats out of reach through the wall and ceiling. See demo file included in zip file.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I don't want demos because I cannot debug them, and I will not download them!

Save games and screenshots if asked for - no demos!

DANGIT! :evil:

I am fed up with writing up (brief enough) rules and saying the same stuff over and over.

There is no excuse for not reading them and/or not sticking to them - not even having read such rules on 10 other forums (and then still not keeping them here!)
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Sorry, thought it might help to see what was happening. I knew you could not do anything with it, but as it happened in the savegame I made available, I felt it wouldn't hurt.

I will reread the rules and try hard to remember them in future.
Pilot from Oz
Fighter17
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fighter17 »

OK, I was able to figued out my screen res problem, don't press enter when in the menu.

But a major problem is still there, I can't use my controller/joystick. I try putting the joystick thing on in the menu, but the program just shuts off.

What do you need, a log file or a screen shot? Note: I can't make a log file because I don't know how. :?

Also a sad note, doesn't matter how good the high res textures looks, the game runs choppy when they're on. :( You need a log file for this?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hires textures require pixel shaders, and they cause quite a performance hit. I have been trying to improve them, but with limited success. Once I've got hires texturing with the -gl_alttexmerge 0 switch setting fixed, that could provide a work around to shader usage at the expense of requiring more (video) memory. If you are having a video card with no so much video memory, try to decrease texture quality: That will cause D2X-XL to shrink the hires textures (512x512 -> 256x256 -> 128x128 -> 64x64). 256x256 needs only a quarter of the memory required for 512x512, but looks almost as good (if you can tell a difference at all).

I will check the joystick problem here.

Usually I believe ppl if they report bugs, so screenies etc. are only required if I ask for them. No need to post 'proofs'. ;)
Steel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Robot MVE Playback

Post by Steel »

The intro, enter system, and mine exit MVE's work fine for me now. But the robot breifing MVE's still play slow. This only happens when the text is being printed to the left, when the text is fully displayed, the MVE plays fine. Is there some kind of bottlemeck in the text rendering code?

Offtopic: Diedel, how serious are you about not adding any more features to D2X-XL? There is a couple of rather large additions I would like to see, but I don't want to give you heart failure or anything.
You have done a lot for D2, you deserve that break; just please plan to continue later. :mrgreen:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I will not add big things to D2X-XL any more - it takes up the time that belongs to my family. I will fix ugly bugs, but that's it. The only bigger thing I will do is fix the remaining Mac problems - if I ever get enough money donated to purchase a halfway useable Mac.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Still the black screen and crash w/ 1.6.23. Last few lines of the log:
d2x.log wrote:Initializing game fonts
Initializing movies
Initializing game data
Loading game data
Loading main ham file
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Grendel,

I will add some ham file reading protocol to the log file.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

more drifting objects

d2 vertigo lvl 1 blue key - lost below

only problem to gameplay I can find. savegame available if required
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Initializing movies
Initializing game data
Loading game data
Loading main ham file
Loading texture indices
Loading sound indices
Loading animation descriptions
Loading robot descriptions
Loading robot joint descriptions
Loading weapon descriptions
Loading powerup descriptions
Loading polymodel descriptions
Loading polymodel data
Loading cockpit gauges
Loading object bitmap indices
Loading player ship description
Loading cockpit bitmaps
Loading reactor descriptions
Still have to "End now" D2X ..
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Weyrman,

save game please. :)

Grendel,

please reinstall your game data and retry. The only thing that happens after the log line about reading the reactor data is that a few data blocks are read from the data files. Now if the reactor count is bogus due to corrupted data files, you might get a crash/lockup here.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Diedel,

unfortunately I overwrote that save game but the savegame included in the zip file in post 163270 has a hostage disappearing through the floor, (see included screenshot).

I will be sure to post you a savegame immediately the next time this sort of thing happens.

It seems as if they collide with something which gives them momentum and then they just drift off.

Note: Ignore included demo file :oops:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Same thing w/ 1.6.27 and all data files reloaded
Initializing movies
Initializing game data
Loading game data
Loading main ham file
Loading 910 texture indices