Farcry?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Farcry?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I was taking a look at a copy of Farcry for $20 yesterday and I thought about picking it up but held back. I've seen people talk about this game on here and on a lot of other boards and I was wondering, how is this game? Is it an open world game where you can go anywhere you like, whenever you like?

On the modding end of things, how is the sandbox editor I've read about and are there any good converters for free or cheap 3D modeling programs out there such as Gmax or Blender? (Yes I know Gmax is dead but it still works as far as I know).

I've also seen another game called Farcry: Instincts for XBox but I haven't seen it for PC. Why is this?
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I played it single player, liked it, graphics were stunning. Open world? Well, unless the terrain is to steep, you can go there. You can hide in bushes and trees, go swimming, drive boats, hang gliders... cool game.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

FarCry = Rocks
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I'm sick of hearing how great the AI is for that game. All the AI dose is simulate what it's like to have some one, not know where you are. :o
So even on the hardest diff you get to out smart 60 men who have the intelligence of ur desktop.

:cry: \"But isaac! The cool graphics!\"

The great \"CryENGINE\" can make cg pants look like the plastic ones by \"Wonka\"! Sweet! :D

I know everyone loves this game, so i get beat up every time i tell someone about it. But if you find out you feel the same as me buy, the first version of ghost recon. THAT's a cool game.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ghost Recon was very cool. Operation Flashpoint was better though. :P

Farcry isn't bad, I liked it better than HL2, but OpFlash has the best AI I have found in a fps game to date.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Pick up FarCry. How open is it? Depends how you define open. You can't explore the entire island in any one mission, but there is usually more than one way to get something done, including taking one of a couple different scenic routes. It is much, much more open than Doom3 or Halflife 2, which were much too linear for my tastes.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I liked the concept behind Far Cry, but a couple things threw me off. First, I'm not a stealthy gamer and I don't enjoy stealth games. Far Cry definitely tends to favor stealth and you have a variety of distractions and other means of sneaking past obstacles. Second, I thought the difficulty was a little off-kilter. Things go from being easy to annoyingly difficult pretty quickly.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

LOL, thats what cheat codes are for. :wink:
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

It's a stealth game then? Oooh I love stealth games. I didn't really like Operation Flashpoint though.

I think you are right though Kyouryuu, stealth games are not your thing.

For instance, when we discussed NFS:MW, you found evading cops to be extremely difficult, where I really find it to be the easy part. Later in the game where I am down to Blacklist#3 is where it managed to get difficult for me. I mean, a milestone where you have to trade paint with 28 cops? Well sure it sounds easy if you think of the old games but when you get up to level 5, there is simply no way in frozen hell. It takes you 5 minutes of trying to keep the cops ON your tail because you become so good at evading them and your car moves at such a speed that every time you try to trade paint it usually destroys their car instead of simply nicking them enough to get the point you need. Then it becomes insane with a police chopper, SUV's and spike stripe galore!! I should be able to get it eventually but it has taken me a couple weeks. Every once in a while I try again and just can't get it. The chase is just too long for that kind of effort, hour upon hour.

On the other hand, I love Splinter Cell 1 and 3. Some of my favorite stealth games. Half Life 2 and Doom 3 are very linear and I found them to be a bit boring in comparison to games like Dues Ex or KOTOR. Even Morrowind (though it was somewhat boring for other reasons that were corrected in Oblivion from what I understand).

I would love a decent shooter or a stealth game but somewhat less linear. Just something different would be nice for a change of pace.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Re:

Post by Iceman »

CDN_Merlin wrote:FarCry = Rocks
Yes, I was just playing FC singleplayer and decided to hit the BBS b4 I went to bed. I love the danged game.