Patch Status

Feedback for the Outrage Entertainment D3 dev team members - bug reports, patch issues, your raves (or rants).
Kevin Bentley
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Patch Status

Post by Kevin Bentley »

I'm going to use this thread to update on what is happening with the patch. Last night I got the Linux version building (no small task, code has a tendancy to break after sitting still too long, and Loki used lots of utility programs I had to find and get compiled). Now that it is building I've got to do some testing and some manual code merging, then more testing...

Does anyone have a copy of the Loki version of D3? I never got a CD from Loki, and I need it to make sure the patch works. Please email me at kevin@kevlar.net if you do. If you know where it can be purchased, that works too.

Oh, BTW, if you are wondering why many emails to me have gone unanswered in the past, it's probably mostly due to SpamAssassin catching them. I get so much spam and I've set my threshold to 2, which gets almost everything not in my whitelist. I go through the spam folder occasionally, but with hundreds of spam per day, I miss a few. I'm going to setup some sort of challenge/response system in the future I think....
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Cool.

Didn't some make the mac codeing, or does that have to be rebuilt too? Image
Kevin Bentley
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Kevin Bentley »

I have what I think is the 1.4 mac source, and I have to merge in the 1.5 changes. Unfortunately, my G4 video card died the other day, so I have to go shopping (hmmm...an excuse to buy an ibook...) before I can work on the Mac version.
Kevin Bentley
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Kevin Bentley »

Last night I started the merge of 1.5 code into the Linux tree. It is going well, most of the changes merge in pretty easy when using Perforce's visual merge utility. I hope to have a beta of Linux 1.5 by this weekend if things continue to go well tonight.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

edit, got mail
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Perforce owns, as does SpamAssassin. We use both on CSH a lot.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

i am pretty sure ssc-delkian has a linux-d3 version, ill tell him to contact you if i see him.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'm positive that Ixion has a copy of D3 Linux if Delkian doesn't.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Delkian and Ixion both have it. I do as well Image.
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

Yes, I have it and even know where I can buy myself a new one if you can't find it anywhere to buy yourself. ;-)

E-mailing.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

I let Ixion know as well Image.
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

Kevin I have D3 for pc, linux and mac. I will be happy to send you whichever ones you need.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Kevin Bentley:
code has a tendancy to break after sitting still too long</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could write a novel about that... Image
Shiva
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shiva »

That's great news to hear that the 1.5 patch is being worked on!! If you need someone to Beta test the Linux server, I am at your disposal. Also if you compile the server with debugging symbols I can run Valgrind on it (as you can also, it's free) and that may uncover some interesting faults.

BTW what gcc compiler are you using to build the Linux version? Much has changed in the past 4-5 years in gcc land, I would hate to see the need to recompile all the DALLAS scripts (which probably wouldn't be possible as many level authors loose their source) so it works on a version built on a 3.2.x compiler...

Great news!
Kevin Bentley
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Kevin Bentley »

I'm currently building D3 with gcc 2.96.
Kevin Bentley
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Kevin Bentley »

I've got everything merged and compiling for Linux. The added bonus is that I now have somewhat sensible diff files, so merging the Mac stuff should be easy. I'll do some basic testing soon, then I'll be ready to start letting people test linux and windows against each-other.

I've got a bug tracking system setup and I'll be announcing info on how to use it soon.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Wow, sounds like things are really rolling Image
Dnd4evr
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Dnd4evr »

1.5? Its still alive? :o The last time I looked into this was over a year ago. :shock:

I know its tempting to do a lot of new things like multiple monitor support, but please don't over reach and never release anything. D3 has been in need of updating for a very long time (its been almost 4 years since 1.4). If 1.5 will fix some of the headache's without adding new ones, release it and then start working on the new stuff. Please!! :mrgreen:

I mentioned the 1.5 patch in a game the other night and it stunned a lot of players. They had no idea a new patch had ever been under development. There is definitly interest in the general community. I will let them know about this thread.
Fugue
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Off Topic Posts

Post by Fugue »

As much as off topic posts are appreciated (they're not) please try to stick to the topic. You want multiple monitors in the next patch? Wonderful! Start a new topic. Don't want them? Reply to aforementioned post. The reason I made this a sticky was so that information could be disseminated without having to look for the topic if perhaps the post became stale for whatever reason. Any other off topic replies will be deleted.

I want people posting about things that they have problems with, or things that they want to see. However reply to the appropriate post. This post, therefore is not appropriate for the discussion of a wishlist.

I don't play favorites (except to Kevin).

-Fugue
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

It'd be really sweet if 1.5 is out before Califest hits. 8)
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Any news?
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Call me doubting Thomas Anderson if you want, but I'll believe it when I see it. =P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Kevin just posted here on the 10th and said that he's continuing work. I have a pretty good feeling that we're finally going to see something happen :D.

Edit: Why exactly isn't HTML enabled on this board? I had to go look up the code, whereas I have the HTML link code memorized.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Because Tet feels HTML can be too much of a security risk on the board and people will abuse it even though I really didn't see any evidence of that going on on the old board for it to be an issue here *shrug*.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Tyranny wrote:Because Tet feels HTML can be too much of a security risk on the board and people will abuse it even though I really didn't see any evidence of that going on on the old board for it to be an issue here *shrug*.
#1: No reason for HTML, BBcodes handle the necessary stuff.
#2: phpBB allows limiting of what HTML codes are actually permitted (UBB doesn't).
#3: Some HTML tag words were placed into the word censor on the UBB to prevent their abuse.

(EDIT)And apparently they still are o_O.
Fugue
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Guess What? OFF TOPIC

Post by Fugue »

Top Gun, Tyranny, and Thunderbird. Please keep your posts on topic. I would have caught this sooner had my life not gotten in the way ;), but seriously guys. There's a time and a place for everything and this is certainly not the correct place for UBB discussions. If it becomes necessary to keep this sticky free from off topic posts (especially since I made this a sticky with the idea that news on the patch could be published here and without having to bother with posts about dual monitors and the like) I will delete posts.

Here are some signs that your post or reply could be off topic:
  1. The reply has absolutely nothing to do with the original post.
  2. This post/reply fits the description of another forum much better than this forum.
  3. I have nothing to add other than "Wow! Totally awesome! OMGLOLROFLKTHXBAI, etc."
  4. I wish to discuss the finer points of squid procreation.
If your topic or post happened to fall in one of the above, please consider not posting it in order to bring peace to the earth. Not doing so will only guarantee continued hostilities within global "hotspots," and you will only have yourself to blame.

If there are any problems, please first consult the DBB policies, then talk to me. If there is still a problem, then by all means, contact the appropriate head haunchos.

You have been warned.

Have a nice day!

-Fugue
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Since this has to do with the patch and any updates regarding the patch we've just been waiting for updates about that patch.

A question was asked, all be it off topic, and that question was answered, all be it from my point of view. No matter how off topic this thread gets it still would remain on topic once Kevin posts again about the patch. I'd imagine if anything new occured a new thread will just be created anyways.

Just my 2cents, and since I am talking about the patch it is technically still on topic, but delete it if you must.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Last word on above: I apologize for making a stupid, off-topic P.S. to my post. /me sticks foot in mouth :P

On-topic again: It's nice to know that someone is finally working in a dedicated fashion on the patch and on updating PXO. I'm eagerly awaiting Kevin's next update, and even more eagerly awaiting the patch's release :D.
Kevin Bentley
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Kevin Bentley »

Ok, I've got a working 1.5 linux and windows build, and a native OSX version that needs some work (a carbon version that needs some work too).

Right now I'm uploading files so I can setup a dedicated server, then after I do some basic testing I'll probably release an alpha version of the patch real soon now. The alpha version won't have the changes to PXO, other than the ones that make pxo games joinable from direct IP and vice-versa.

My son (who is now my #1 beta tester) found a new fusion bug, but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet (it was firing like a laser). If you guys promise not to whine too much about bugs, I'll do a very open 1.5 test patch very soon. I think I'll just write a EULA that says "If you whine about bugs, your license to use this is automatically revoked". :)

I've got a working bug tracker system that will be publicly available once the patch is released.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

yay!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You the man Kevin! :)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

that owns
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

sweet :)
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

bugs? what bugs, i thought 1.5 was supposed to be absolute perfect like the 5th element ;)

would be glad to help with testing, i am sure we still find some serverops and players for intense tests and reliable reports.
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

is there any question that Kevin is one of the coolest guys around? You really do work way too hard just to please a bunch of whiney crybabies, dude :) I'm sure we all appreciate it.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Just a thought, but would it be a good idea to start a small "1.5 donation" pot for Kevin? He's essentially doing this with no profit and just for us few descenters. I think we need a more tangible way to say "You da MAN!"
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

That's a good idea, but I don't have any money. =(
Kevin Bentley
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Kevin Bentley »

Thanks for the offer, but it's not needed...I'm doing this for the same reason you are reading this...because I love Descent. I've been playing Descent since way back, and I don't intend to stop any time soon. I just happen to be lucky enough to have the ability to work on D3.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

As long as Descent is being played, I will be playing it. Ever since demo 1 of D1 I was hooked.

Once again, thanks for 9 yrs of pure bliss. (just don't ask my wife about this)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

:lol:

LOL Merlin. Mine's right there with yours. ;)