I don't suppose...

A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I don't suppose...

Post by pATCheS »

...there's any way for SSAC to work for P2P games, is there? Because I'd sure love to play one shaker game in which I'm not lauded for my excessively good ability to play. I'm thinking it can't happen with the current one because too much is client-side, the anti-cheat system would have to be implemented on the client. This requires that there be some kind of verification of the client to make sure that the SSAC module itself isn't hacked.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

AC is all server side at the moment. I had gave much thought to a client side addition but assuring that the client side isn't hacked would be nearly impossible. It doesn't sound like there would be any way short of re-writing the D3 executable itself to implement this.

I may be willing to release the source to a single trustable person if there is interest in making a client-side mod.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

:? May I enquore as to what the heck you guys are talking about? Sounds interesting...
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

[sarcasm]You don't know what SSAC is? DOH!!![/sarcasm]

SSAC stands for SuperSheep's Anti-Cheat. It's a server side mod hosted on a majority of servers that detects and kicks cheaters.

You can tell sometimes if a server is using AC if they include AC or SSAC in the name of the server or sometimes you can tell due to having a \"Team Kill\" CTF, which is a SSAC add-on feature for D3.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Sheep,

I think the AC code might work on P2P games with some modification but everyone would have to have a copy of it. Ensuring people don't reverse the code and break it would be nearly impossible though. A feature would need to be added to ensure people joining an AC game also had the AC software as well though, if not kick them out.

How much time and energy do we really want to put in to a project like this though? Is D3 really going to 'catch its second wind'? If we had support from the authors of D3 and the source code it would be much easier.

RC
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

forget p2p Patches, just tell American Spirit to host his shaker servers with SSAC

if AC got into everyone hands then well.... end of story

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Heya RC, long time. First of all, congrats on the MS gig! :D

You know how much time I put in to the AC and the D3 Extreme, and I really, really wanted to continue working on it, and although I personally don't have any time to give to programming due to a business I'm starting, I really would hate to see all of that work go to waste.

I do have much put in to reverse engineering the D3 source as you are aware and I wouldn't think of just letting it out, but if someone really had a ton of free time and wanted to, I'm supposing that they could continue the reversing and possibly get something very effective written client-side...
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

I know D3 is an old game and there really isn't much interest anymore, but I never worked on this stuff for that reason.

One thing I don't like about game companies is when they just abandon their software and fail to release source code as in this case. In particular, I love playing a game called Death Rally. They completely abandoned the game and refused to release the source code. The game is incompatible with XP, so basically if you wanted to play it, you'd have to install a slew of programs, DOS emulators, soundcard emulators just to run it and even then, it played jerkily.

I see D3 being in the same boat. Abandoned by the company that made it, and with no source code, the only thing left for those who will continue to play it will be to accept the limitations, stop playing it, or reverse engineering it and possibly making updates themselves...
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

I wouldn't even think of releasing what I have to anyone not trusted, however I wonder even how important that is at this point. If Outrage suddenly released the source code tomorrow, there would be the ability to create cheats and hacks and yet if we had the source code, we could fix the game and possibly make it more unhackable, more playable, with more features and so on...

Let me know what you guys think... I have about 10% of the game reversed, 98% complete function call's in separate callable DLL's. I don't have the time to do anything with it anymore, should I just keep it on my HD, delete it, or release it? I can't answer that, only the community can.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Had to break my post into 3 separate smaller posts. There is an error when I posted all at once.
Red Barchetta
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red Barchetta »

Thanks to (DE)Hunter, my server is finally back on-line. And thanks to SuperSheep, I also have AC installed.

I like the idea of giving the code to someone that will continue to work on it, but at the same time, worry that someone might get ahold of it, and use it to their own advantage. If you delete it from your HD, please make sure you have a copy of it on CD. You never know when the oppertunity might arise, and you want to do more work on it.

If anyone wants a special server set up, I can host up to a 6 player game. Just contact me.