D2X-XL Q&A

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by flyhard »

I did play with the smart shader, and if you set it on extreme blur and stay still, that is what my problem looks like when im turning.

I tried reinstalling drivers and i used the ati drivers cleaner program.
flyhard
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by flyhard »

I just tried another lcd out 740bf samsung with 2ms response (they claim)..still same problem!
Its odd, i can slide with perfect focus but soon as i turn (moveing the nose left and right) i get out of focus. Its something to do with horizontal frequency i believe. Vertical turning im ok. Vsync is on and its smooth, no chop.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Why would you play games on an LCD?
-Suncho
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Suncho wrote:Why would you play games on an LCD?
Well on my Olympic 17" LCD monitor w/10ms, all my games play with no blur that I can tell. If there is any? You'ld have to look really closely to see it I guess.
Even from the first time I got this LCD I didn't notice anything.
Anyways, I'm using a BFG Nvidia 6800 Ultra 256MB card. Every thing looks fine to me. ;)
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Does it tell you the Descent 2 version doesn't match, or the level version doesn't match?
It tells me the D2 version doesn't match.
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

This is what the error message looks like. Either I really am using a different version than this tracker, or I should try using Kali for netgames...
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

RoBoT wrote:Image

This is what the error message looks like. Either I really am using a different version than this tracker, or I should try using Kali for netgames...
It works for everybody else, RoBoT. Do you have any weird custom settings or anything?

Diedel, I was reading over this page:

http://www.descent2.de/d2x-install.html

and I noticed three files that I don't recognize. Where do these files come from?

descent2.p11
descent2.p22
texmerge.frag

I don't have any of them.
-Suncho
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Everything's the way I downloaded/installed it.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

You didn't even set up a custom keyboard config? Whose game were you trying to join?
-Suncho
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Suncho,

I forgot to list the p* files. The frag file is a fragment shader that is not needed in the D2X-XL release version; I use it for debugging.

RoboT,

I am trying to figure where this message is issued and what could cause it.
Valin Halcyon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Valin Halcyon »

I think it's a checksum issue. If he compiled the code himself, or got a 3rd party compiled version, it's possible that the checksum doesn't match the general distribution version on your website. I know that when I compile D2X-XL on my PC, I use the release build, and I get a nice tiny exe...almost 600Kb smaller than your release. I have an AMD, so I drop the P4 enhancements, and I assume that your general release build is a general platform build. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

That error message is caused by a protocol id mismatch in the multiplayer game description data sent by the game host. I have no clue why this could happen though.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

This project (Help adding extra video and audio to D2X-XL) that deuxsonic is working on. How do we get all the extra files he's using?
I want! Gime!! Gime!! :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I will ask KB if he would host the files. They're about 470 MB total.
Brandor
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Brandor »

I'm trying to run an IPX LAN game using D2X-XL version 1.6.41 with computers runnings Windows XP.

Whenver one player tries to join the game, the host's game closes to Desktop.

Both computers do have the IPX protocol installed, but we are uncertain of the required settings. The more we played with the settings, the worse things got.

Previously, using a much older build of D2X-XL, we managed to play just fine.

What IPX configuration do we need?

These are the settings I have. One of the computers has no \"Internal network number.\"
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3808/t ... ipx3eq.jpg
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Did you try UDP/IP?
Brandor
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Brandor »

Yes, I tried the udp/ip, and game wouldn't show up. When I tried udp/ip via tracker I had the same result (not showing up). The udp/ip multicast game was visable but upon joining either the host or the person joining would be kicked out, depending on weather the game was launched or not. (host's game closes if game was allready started, player's game if the player joins before the game has started)

Hope that helps clarify the problem.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Brandor wrote:Yes, I tried the udp/ip, and game wouldn't show up. When I tried udp/ip via tracker I had the same result (not showing up). The udp/ip multicast game was visable but upon joining either the host or the person joining would be kicked out, depending on weather the game was launched or not. (host's game closes if game was allready started, player's game if the player joins before the game has started)

Hope that helps clarify the problem.
This should be posted in the MS bug report.

I am having same probs now. :(
Master Xan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Master Xan »

Diedel

Nice work with D2X-XL. While D2 isn't working, its a lot closer to working then with any of the other D2X programs I've found, and certainly offers plenty of options if I can get the core program functional.

I've got several questions/problems to post. Hopefully none of them are bugs, though I suspect some of them might be.

I'm using the latest game versions/drivers/etc. I've got Win2000Pro, Radeon 9550 video card (256MB), and 768 DDR with an Intel 2.4GHz CPU. Yet when I try and enable high quality movies in the advanced rendering menu, I get very choppy sound and movie playback. Any suggestions, or should I just stick to having that disabled?

When I start the game, it defaults to 800x600 (according to the player profile, which overrides my 1280x1024 setting). When I try and change the resolution in-game, the screen goes black but the music continues to play. No keystrokes give me any response except ctrl+alt+del and the start menu key. Is there a way to manually override the profile override, making the game start in a better resolution despite what is saved in the player profile? If not, is there anything I can try to keep the game from locking, allowing me to change the profile settings?

Once I have a game started with the default profile, I seem to have a texture problem. Doors open up, but instead of having an open doorway I'm presented with what appears to be a blank wall. I am, however, capable of flying through them and they don't appear as walls on the map. Here is a screenshot of a door opening, with what I assume is a texture problem clearly visable in the 'open space' of the doorway. Is there a setting I can tweak somewhere, or is this another one for the bug forum? Screenshot: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/ ... n/door.jpg

Thanks for any help you can give me, as its been years since I played D2 and would really enjoy being able to again.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hi Xan,

nice to meet you here. :)

Please read the announcement thread, follow the instructions there and then come back. ;)

Diedel

PS: I cannot reproduce the new player and door problems.
Master Xan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Master Xan »

I looked around a little before posting, but I'll take it by your post that the resolution and choppy movie problems are posted somewhere else... now if only I could find them...

Anyway, I've corrected the new player problem (and removed it from my initial list). I'll repost the door problem under the bugs section, as I can't figure it out no matter how hard I try.
When your teacher needs a calculator to count how many you missed more then you need one to do a calc test, that's bad.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Did you read the announcement thread for newcomers?
Master Xan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Master Xan »

That I did. Why, am I doing something annoyingly noobish? If so I apologize...
When your teacher needs a calculator to count how many you missed more then you need one to do a calc test, that's bad.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I need the D2X-XL version #. \"Newest version\" is not precise enough.

Movie quality only affects some smoothing you don't really need to watch them - see the manual about this option.
Master Xan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Master Xan »

Ah, so that's my noobish mistake. 1.6.53, downloaded two days ago (which fixed my 'new player' problem, as I have been informed that 1.6.52 corrupted profile data).

Move quality is merely an annoyance. Similarly, the resolution is not that big a deal. I'd sure like to fix it, much more so then the movie problem, but either one pales in comparison to my door issue.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

That thread hints you to several pages on my D2 site. I didn't write all that stuff there to write it every time again here if someone asks some related questions.

There's a cmd line switch for specifying the screen res (see web site).

What gfx drivers are you using?
Master Xan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Master Xan »

I somehow missed the resoultion fix in the faq (I did read it, I'm not that evil). Removing the ; allowed me to force a resolution, thanks for making me go back and read through it again.

My driver: ati2dvag.dll, v. 6.14.0010.6606, dated 3/21/06. Wow, didn't realize it had been that long, I'm going to look for newer drivers. Hopefully that fixes the movie problem, though I doubt it will. Regardless, the important things have already been addressed and fixed, thank you!

(EDIT: Looks my drivers are still up to date.)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Driver: Catalyst? Which version? The only question is whether it's really outdated, like one or two years old, not just 6 or 8 weeks. I just need to make sure it's not one of the standard issues. :)

You should be able to resolve the door issue using '-gl_alttexmerge 0'.
Master Xan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Master Xan »

Door fixed (see other thread). I'm unsure of my Catalyst version, but I know I updated it in the last two months to resolve an issue with another game (which I've only owned for two months, and the game tells me this when I type /age, so I know time hasn't passed faster then I thought).
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

EDIT:
Never mind. ;)
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Uh, yeah, I have a question... Why can't I get to the D2X-XL MS Windows Bug Report page??? :? :x

It takes forever to load, and it gives me the first page, despite the fact that it shows as the last page. Is this a DBB bug or what is it?? :?

And can I post my bug reports here or something since I can't get to it?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

D3Hack wrote:Uh, yeah, I have a question... Why can't I get to the D2X-XL MS Windows Bug Report page??? :? :x

It takes forever to load, and it gives me the first page, despite the fact that it shows as the last page. Is this a DBB bug or what is it?? :?
Not sure I just opened the page and page one displayed and I was able to view the last page also.

May I ask what browser you are viewing the DBB with? I checked in IE

KB
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

KB, I use IE7 beta 2. I can't get to anywhere in that topic but the first page no matter what.

I also tried it in FireFox... same result. :?

EDIT: OK, that's not entirely true. If I manually hit \"next\" on each page to get to the next one, I can get to page 28. After that it does the same thing again.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

KB,

I cannot load any other but the first page of the thread either. What happens though is that the first page is tremendously long.

Firefox here. Had been working all the time before.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

D3Hack wrote:KB, I use IE7 beta 2. I can't get to anywhere in that topic but the first page no matter what.

I also tried it in FireFox... same result. :?

EDIT: OK, that's not entirely true. If I manually hit "next" on each page to get to the next one, I can get to page 28. After that it does the same thing again.
X2 :(
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

When I tried to go to the last page, it loaded all posts from Feb05 to August05...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Looks like something's wrong with the forum database.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

Well then, does anyone mind if I set up a temporary thread for MS Windows bug reports until the official one starts working again?
Geist
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Geist »

I've got a question :?

Is there a way to play D1 missions with the original BGM (if you don't remember, just launch D1 from DosBOX)?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What is BGM? Is this a D2X-XL related question? If not, you may want to ask in the Old Skool Descent forum.