D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows - continuation thread

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows - continuation thread

Post by Diedel »

D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows
________________________________________________________________________________

Koolbear has kindly provided a support ticker tracker. Find it here.

Please post bug reports there in the future.

The bug reports threads in this forum will be put out of service.
________________________________________________________________________________

This thread is intended for D2X-XL bug reports for Windows - no suggestions, no questions, no bug reports for other OS's here please.

To put them all neatly together and help me not to forget them, I kindly request everybody to post bug reports for D2X-XL/Windows in this thread.

Please keep this thread clean. In case some issue needs detailled discussion, I will open an extra thread for it.

Diedel (a.k.a. karx11erx)

PS:

Please read the D2X-XL FAQ and the D2X-XL Version History to see whether your problem has already been solved.
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

TY for making this thread, Diedel. :)

Anyhow, here we go:
  • \"Texture Quality\" slider appears where it should when using \"Configure...\" from the main menu, but not when using F2 in-game (then it's nowhere to be found). Does it even do anything anyhow?
  • \"briefing.mid\" still plays during D2 briefings. Yes, I consider this a bug because, oddly enough, it was never ever (to the best of my knowledge) used in the legacy D2.
  • When using NovacroN's hires textures, secondary hires textures only work right if the primary texture is also hires (else, they appear to be resized to lores). I can provide screenies if neccesary.
  • When I host a netgame, and nobody else joins, if I hit enter @ the player select screen, it tells me that I must select at least 2 players, but then says \"Prepare for Descent...\" and enters the level. :P (that was a co-op game, BTW)
  • The reason I came to discover that, was that I was trying to play a game over IPX w/ my dad, but no matter who hosted, it always told us that the game version didn't match, even though I got everything I could think of matched. (BTW: Co-op, D2:CS:XL)
  • Hires Pyro-GX overrides custom ships.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

What game version have you been using?
D3Hack wrote:"Texture Quality" slider appears where it should when using "Configure..." from the main menu, but not when using F2 in-game (then it's nowhere to be found). Does it even do anything anyhow?
That's intentional, because this slider affects game and OpenGL settings that cannot be changed in-game. RTFM about it.
D3Hack wrote:"briefing.mid" still plays during D2 briefings. Yes, I consider this a bug because, oddly enough, it was never ever (to the best of my knowledge) used in the legacy D2.
Not a bug.
D3Hack wrote:When using NovacroN's hires textures, secondary hires textures only work right if the primary texture is also hires (else, they appear to be resized to lores). I can provide screenies if neccesary.
Last time I had tested that it had worked (or the D2:CS Level 1 wouldn't look right).
D3Hack wrote:When I host a netgame, and nobody else joins, if I hit enter @ the player select screen, it tells me that I must select at least 2 players, but then says "Prepare for Descent..." and enters the level. :P (that was a co-op game, BTW)
Once that was an error and you couldn't start the game at all. I changed this into a warning.
D3Hack wrote:The reason I came to discover that, was that I was trying to play a game over IPX w/ my dad, but no matter who hosted, it always told us that the game version didn't match, even though I got everything I could think of matched. (BTW: Co-op, D2:CS:XL)
I had one other player reporting this once, but couldn't determine the reason. Try to create new player profiles.
D3Hack wrote:Hires Pyro-GX overrides custom ships.
Yes.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

v1.6.59 crashes on D1 missions that come with *.RDL instead of *.HOG files again (thought you fixed that issue already)

I know I could just put the Level file in a HOG and things would be fine, so this is not a pressing issue, but there might be people that like to play these levels and don't know what's wrong with them coz they play fine on the original Descent
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

No, this should work.

Edit: Fixed.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Sorry for the inconvience!

I will look into restoring the thread.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Diedel,

ver - 1.6.53

When I respawn many times I feel as if I am STUCK. I wiggle around tri-cord and finally I am able to move. This is tough in a multiplayer game!

WinXP
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

How many is \"many times\"? What level did you use?

I tried to reproduce that by starting a multiplayer game w/ only me as participant, and killed myself 250 times. Movement still was flawless. That's a rather artificial test though.

Current version is 1.5.61, btw.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Many times is damn near everytime I respawned, but before we worry about this anymore I will update, and get back to you :)

Please forgive this delayed report on an outdated version :P

KB
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Actually it's not that outdated, and I would neither know why this happens to you, nor, as it obviously does, why it shouldn't with the most recent version.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I have the latest version and it wasn't appearent in the singleplayer mode, I will see if it happens when I get into a multiplayer game.

Thanks again for an AWESOME D2 experience, and tanks for the Hi-Rez texture and pyro support!

OMG D2X-XL rocks!
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Dropping markers and running through markers has the wrong sound effect associated with it. It currently plays the missile launch sound instead of the original beep-beep sound.

Regards.
Pilot from Oz
Yogi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Yogi »

Weyrman wrote:1.6.62

Dropping markers and running through markers has the wrong sound effect associated with it. It currently plays the missile launch sound instead of the original beep-beep sound.

Regards.
I vouch for that! Actually, noticed this with earlier version of D2XL.

Yogi
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

This sounds like a problem for you, Diedel...
viewtopic.php?p=167852
D2X-XL not loading custom .sng files, by the sound of it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

This is a bug, not a problem. ;)

Regards.
Cannot reproduce, sorry.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Regards.
Diedel wrote:Cannot reproduce, sorry.
Same as Diedel.
Sound is right for me.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Okay, I'm a bad boy for not being specific. After reading the above post I checked. The correct sound plays in D2 (new game) but not in D1 (new game).

Opening a D2 savegame and trying to use a marker brings up a message \"no free marker slots\" and opening a D1 savegame causes the game to crash to desktop. It gets as far as \"Prepare for Descent\".

Current game 1.6.63 is actually zipped as 1.6.32.zip

Regards
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Weyrman wrote:The correct sound plays in D2 (new game) but not in D1 (new game).
Ok.
Weyrman wrote:Opening a D2 savegame and trying to use a marker brings up a message "no free marker slots"
Cannot reproduce.
Weyrman wrote:and opening a D1 savegame causes the game to crash to desktop. It gets as far as "Prepare for Descent".
Cannot reproduce.
Weyrman wrote:Current game 1.6.63 is actually zipped as 1.6.32.zip
Fixed.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Found a death bug

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

ver. 1.6.63
Windows XP
Playing First Strike D1 mission - Level 11.
Okay, I saved at the start of the mission, save my game, decide going to tackle level 11 later. I start up a user level of mine: Genova Caverns, accidently save over my first strike save file, complete THAT level. I quit D2 and come back later. I reload the game, find out I accidently saved over the save file, but thankfully have the AUTOSAVE of level 11 at the bottom of the save file list. So I select that to continue my game at the beginning of level 11. No problems until I die, then its like I'm stuck in place and can't move. I can fire off weapons and stuff as if I was still alive, but can't move, nor can I die and restart from the beginning. This only started happening, I could die normally quite well before. And I was thinking, maybe its a glitch because I did that weird save thingy issue, so if I beat level 11 without dying, maybe it'll reset itself at 12? No cigar, whenever I die in that level or ANY level know, it totally locks up controls other than firing buttons.
This is quite a weird bug, and it wouldn't surprise me if you come back with 'can't reproduce.' But its effectively killed any joy I had at playing Descent 2, because its extended to ALL levels, both D1 and D2. So now I must play with god mode cheat because I can't afford to die and get locked up now. It sucks.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Please send the overwritten save file and the autosave file to karx11erx at googlemail dot com.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

you realize that the autosave file and save file are on level 13 at the moment? They are not at their original 'positions' when the bug first occured, is that still okay?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Does the bug still happen with one of these files? If yes, just send the one showing it.
Ma§§aCrE
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Ma§§aCrE »

When trying to join a game i also get the error \"your versions do not match\"

[my sys spec's]
1 gig ram
nvidia 7800 gs
3.0ghz pentium 4
pcx5000 router
NETGEAR MA111 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter #2
Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

I saw the other posts that also had this error, but they seemed very undescriptive.

I'm running DX2-XL version 1.6.63 no matter how i join a game ipx or udp with my network or through the internet i always get this error. even when i click enter on one of the numbers without a game even being there i get \"your version doesn't match\"

although i can connect via IPX with normal descent 2 without dx-xl fine. (The only problem is one computer is XP which messes up causing the pyro to do crazy things like super rapid fire and super wiggling but going extra slow *probly reason dx2-xl was made anyway*)

I've tryed making new profiles, doing clean installs, and changing various hosting options. But nothing works.

I think the problem isn't even with connecting to the game i just think that when i press enter, in join game, it automatically puts that error up. (but i could be totally wrong) of course why would it only happen to a select few people? who knows i'm not a programmer.

Note:d1x works fine connecting to ppl via udp/ip

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The stupid thing is that I cannot recreate that problem, so I am clueless myself what causes it. :(

Btw, both desired and actual version numbers reported by that dialog are totally off. :?
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Cloak Bug

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

This isn't a major bug like I've submitted before, but a minor one. Its more of a graphical glitch really and its using beta 1.6.63. I have smoke renders turned on and it doesn't matter if the density is low or high, size big or small. But the instant you hit a cloak power-up, your thrusters stop appearing (which is cool!) but there are two puffs of smoke that lay in suspended animations at the EXACT spot you picked up the cloak. And they remain there for the entire duration of the cloak and then dissapate normally. Nothing big, but just something I'd point out.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Thx, fixed.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I remember long time ago, I downloaded a earlier version of this. (like 6 months ago earlier, so you figure out the version number there! LOL) And I remember that colored lighting, when turned on, make all past levels not specifically made for XL to have colored lighting. I thought that was cool! But now with the latest versions, turning on colored lighting seemingly does nothing to past levels not specifically made for XL. Any particular reason why that was taken out? Was kinda cool how old textures were attributed with colored lighting automatically.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

LOL - Wrong thread again! ^^^ :lol:

DarkFlameWolf,
You might want to read the list of threads in this D2X-XL forum.
Diedel told you what thread to post in and yet you still made a post in the wrong thread. :roll:

Can't wait to see what Diedel is gonna say next!
:P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I am speechless ... but Wolfie it getting closer, at least ... :P

Colored lighting can never probably have lit non-D2X-XL levels, unless due to a bug (which probably made them look rather weird).

The only way to give colored lighting to legacy D2 levels is by enabling lightmaps.

Wolfie, here! :roll:
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

lightmaps, okay, and I believe we both agreed previously that lightmaps were the cause of the real-time lighting issues. Ironic how that works then, isn't it? :)
So if I were to update Bahagad Outbreak, Lost Levels, and various other campaigns with colored lighting and translucency, (that'd probably be all I'd do and yes, I'm skilled with the DMB2 program, just not the new features, it'll be a fun learning experience) would you host the new XL versions?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You need to convert your levels to the D2X-XL format using DLE-XP. Then you can assign a color to each light emitting texture a level uses, and re-light the level. That will give you colored lights, and is definitely preferrable over lightmaps.

In D2X-XL levels, you can also apply transparency to walls (like water, lava or certain doors), to beef them up visually.

You are always welcome to ask for detail info if you run into problems or don't exactly know how to apply these features.

I believe your levels are good anyway, but making D2X-XL levels out of them, and giving them colored lighting and probably more, would definitely force me to host them. ;)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

then that is what I shall do. Expect them in the coming months. ^_^ *downloads latest DMB2-XL version.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

It's not DMB2-XL, it's DLE-XP.
Tim
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tim »

wildfire on: \"Kill the Player!\"
silkwing on: \"I feel dialated\"
silkwing off: \"Rabid Robots\"
Didn't check the rest but it was pretty funny.

Also, when the extra movies are installed, I select Counterstrike and the intro with the captions but the other one (the ship flying into the planet) starts playing the intro captions too.

And whats with the demos? EACH frame takes a bit LONGER than the frame BEFORE.
Geist
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Geist »

Dunno if I just messed up with the settings, but I'm seeing walls where doors opened:

Plus, I'm having performance problems during the movies such as the intro, again. I had this once in the versions 1.4.x, then the movies played ok in 1.5.x, now when I updated the performance problems are back.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Geist wrote:Dunno if I just messed up with the settings, but I'm seeing walls where doors opened:

Plus, I'm having performance problems during the movies such as the intro, again. I had this once in the versions 1.4.x, then the movies played ok in 1.5.x, now when I updated the performance problems are back.
Ummm What version do you have? 1.6.70 or what?
Plus it helps to know what switches you are using in the d2x.ini file?
Maybe a system spec as well can help us.

Now, as far as the texture over an open door prob.
That seems to be a common prob some are getting and can be solved by adding 0 or 1 to the -gl_alttexmerge switch in the d2x.ini file.
So it should look like this: -gl_alttexmerge 0

For more info on switches go here.

Hope this helps some. :)
Geist
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Geist »

Ok I've added a 0 to -gl_alttexmerge and it worked with the doors.

As for the stuttering movies, I'm using 1.6.70 on a P4 3.6GHz with 1 GB RAM and an ATI X700 with everything such as AA and AF disabled.

Here's a copy of my ini:

Code: Select all

;launch d2x-xl in fullscreen mode
-fullscreen
;keep mouse focus in game window
-grabmouse
;use sound sampled at 22 Khz
-sound22k
;skip CD ROM check
-nocdrom
;use trilinear filtering and mipmaps
-render_quality 0
;let OpenGL handle rendering of layered textures
-gl_alttexmerge 0
;display multiplayer game messages from other players
-playermessages
;suppress duplicate messages
-noredundancy
;don't playback cut scenes movies, but allow robot movies
-nomovies 0
;use bitmap reticle
-gl_reticle 0
;use short multiplayer game data packets
-shortpackets
;send 10 updates per second in multiplayer games
-pps 10
;add your default player name here to make D2X-XL load it at program start
-player default
;use the following screen resolution at program start (will be overridden by player profile)
;-1024x768
;set the following value to 0 to enable a backwards compatible camera rendering method
-render2texture 1
;set the following value to 0 to enable the original menu style
-menustyle 1
;set the following value to 1 to enable faster rendering of new style menus
-fastmenus 1
;set the following value to 1 to enable sound rendering via SDL_mixer (enables midi playback on non-

Windows OS-s)
-sdl_mixer 1
;set the following value to 0 to enable original Descent 2 math data handling
-mathformat 2
;set the following value to 0 to use Descent 2 sounds in Descent 1 levels
-use_d1sounds 1
;specify the name of a custom menu background to use here
-altbg_name menubg-planet-small-logo.tga
;specify the brightness of the custom menu background here (0.0 < brightness <= 1.0)
-altbg_brightness 0.75
;specify the transparency of the custom menu background here (0.0 < alpha <= 1.0; -1.0 to keep what's 

set in the image)
-altbg_alpha -1.0
;tell whether to convert the custom menu background to a grayscale image
-altbg_grayscale 0
;enable usage of hires textures if present
-hires_textures 0
;enable usage of hires models if present
-hires_models 0
Leo Zappa
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Leo Zappa »

I solved the movie problems disabling the \"fullscreen movie\" toggle..

here's a bug report (i think.. ;) )

ver: 1.6.70 w32

joy: wingman force 3d

the \"pitch up/down\" axis (-> Y ax.) of my joystick is inverted every time a d1 level is loaded:

- the \"invert\" toggle on the configure joystick panel is set to \"N\"

- I load a saved game (d1 l4) -> the y axis is inverted!!

- I open the \"configure joystick\" panel: the toggle is set to Y... I change it to N

- I reload that saved game (I DIDN't exit that game, so d1 l4 was still in memory..) --> the joy behaves correctly

- I complete the level and start l5: the joy Yax. is inverted.. I have to chenge it again

- I exit to main menu and control the settings: the y axis is not inverted

- I start a new game: d2 l1 --> the joy works fine

- I exit and start d1 l1 --> the Yaxis is inverted..

I also noticed that D1 movies aren't played.. (they were in the previous versions) but didn't investigate why...
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Okay, I posted this in the right place now Diedel :)

I still can't get hat to work. I don't know how to 'enable' hat on the game. D2X-XL would pwn if I could only use hat. When I try to put it in the slide LR or UD, it won't do anything, as in when I try to bind hat, it acts as if there is nothing there. The hat works great in other games, BF2, Descent 3, etc.

Nevermind... bound each button separatley, not by each axis!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You need to bind the hat in the button bindings area, not the axes bindings area.