Safety behind a router?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Safety behind a router?

Post by CDN_Merlin »

My pc's are behind a router. Here is the problem. My wife runs Zone Alarm and it continues to say certain IP's are trying to access her PC. Unless the person is a real genius and knows how to curcumvent a router to get to your LAN IP, is it safe behind a router?

Why does ZA always think someone is trying to access her PC? Tonight we had IP 169.254.0.0 which is a network address and not a real IP per se.

So, what do you think, is it ZA that is reporting bad things or could it be her own system broadcasting her IP and ZA freaks out when it gets the response back?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

ZA is a paranoid POS.

switch to Kerio.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

what version of ZAPro are you running?

im running 2.6 which has made its mark as the most stable and proven version, and it rarely flashes LAN based IP's at me. <-- only when i plug a new computer into my router and add it to my network temprorarly
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Ace, thing is, it just keeps thinking someone is trying to hack my wife's PC but they shouldn't even be getting past the router. Does ZA detect packets at the router's level or only when it gets passed onto the PC?

No idea what versaion she is running but it's probably the latest.
KaTaNa
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KaTaNa »

fliptw wrote:ZA is a paranoid POS.

switch to Kerio.
I concur....
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

cdn_merlin wrote:Ace, thing is, it just keeps thinking someone is trying to hack my wife's PC but they shouldn't even be getting past the router. Does ZA detect packets at the router's level or only when it gets passed onto the PC?

No idea what versaion she is running but it's probably the latest.
okay, pm or email me the IP's and ill scan them to see what they pull up. plus, would help to know your routers DHCP config and settings for LAN IP's ( what class, how many DHCP IP's available, that kind of stuff )
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

cdn_merlin wrote:Does ZA detect packets at the router's level or only when it gets passed onto the PC?
I don't see how it could detect anything that doesn't reach the computer, unless it somehow co-operates with the router, which I seriously doubt.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

if you allow the Routers IP, which should be the 192.168.1.1 address(or whichever you set it to), as a local zone contents and its given full permission to do what it wants, then yes it will interact with the routers settings, ive tested this with my LinkSys router BEFSR41, i would test it at all the security levels, revoke access permission, and when i did revoke permission my connection between my router and DSL Modem was severed, i couldnt get on the net, so i returned it to allow access and it let me back online.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Or you can try Sygate
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

wee, info