D3 Deceased

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Ray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D3 Deceased

Post by Ray »

D3 is dead guys. Sad but true. I played it for seven years until the community moved on and I got carpaal tunnel and weary of breaking sticks. Move on to a hot WW2 piston job sim called Il-2 which has a ton of multiplayer servers on Hyperlobby. You think flying a pyro is tough. HAH. These babies are modeled after the actual warbirds which had a 1000 to 1800 horsepower engines and could fly up to 500 mph. before tearing off the wings. But you had to treat them like ladies to make them do what you want to do. No yanking the stick around like some hormonal teenager. I get my butt handed to me by the minute. I've been playing for months and I still can't figure how these guys get on my six so damn easy. You think deflection shooting with fusion is tough? Try it with ME109 or a Spit or whatever that has 20 mm cannons and 50 cal. guns with limited ammo. Their effect is awesome if you can get 'em on target. I'm tellin' ya kids... you got to try it!! You'll never go back. I just wanted to check this forum and see whatup and I can see not much, just some talented guys yaking 'bout the old days who really need a change. Hehe.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

And you felt you needed to post this... why? :roll:

I'm going to make an educated guess here: I'd say that (like a number of other old-school D3-ers who have recently returned) you're actually a little nostalgic for those 'Days of Descent'.

Maybe you miss the full 6DoF feel of a pyro... maybe you're just getting tired of getting pwned in that flight sim.... Whatever it is, you must have had some reason to come back here.

P.S. Although PXO is long gone, the servers are no longer filled with newbies, and the peak days of D3TL have long since gone, it's a gross mis-statement to say \"D3 is dead\". Take a look and you'll see a core group of players, modders, level designers, and fans still around. There is even development still going on (anti-cheat software, alternative game browsers, new levels and mods, new functionality for the legacy Descent games, etc.) Heck, as a relatively new pilot, I'm an example of the continued life of D3, myself!
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I agree with Foil, it could very well be true, and you've moved on to \"greener pastures\" but for those of us who haven't it's alive and well, and nothing\\nobody can tell us to move on to something else. IT isn't going to happen.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

No disrespect towards Descent lads. At 57 years there aint much left in the way of greener pastures, just greater challenges. Yeah, I'm nostalgic 'bout the descent series. Built up a lotta stick time in the mines. I'm just pragmatic. It aint flying. And as an ex full scale pilot I'm more nostalgic about flyin. Just wanted to broaden your horizons. Take it or leave it. :wink:
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Whats dead? I can find someone to kill me virtually any time of the day or night.

Is it a very popular game? no. But \"Popularity\" was never on my list for choosing a good game.

If you like playing chess, you just need you and one other person. Descent will never be dead as long as I can still play it SP and as long as I can still find someone to whoop my tail in MP.

So, D3 isn't dead. And with Core Decision coming out, 6DOF may even be popular again soon.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Descent used to have alot more people, but i think kil is right as long as you can play with at least 1 other player online its not \"dead\"

popularity-wise though it died years ago.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

This wasn't really a \"Descent is dead\" post, it was a \"hey come play IL2\" post.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Lothar wrote:This wasn't really a "Descent is dead" post, it was a "hey come play IL2" post.
Yeah, go away Ray. :roll:
Why doesn't it work?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: D3 Deceased

Post by Bet51987 »

Ray wrote:D3 is dead guys.
[ice cold]...Really!...[/ice cold]

Like the others.... I can find someone to play anytme so go away.... or dust off your ship and come get me. :wink:

Bettina
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Keeping in mind that PXO is dead and it is really difficult to get D3 installed / patched / online / intogames these days it is REALLY more alive then about 3 years ago.

We even got several newbies while the spring- /summer-months this year...

[don't take too serious from here]
Ray? You are wrong - open your eyes - stop whining and maybe better stfu and leave quietly instead of posting crap like this...
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I'm thinking about it this way:
If we are the \"only\" group of 6DoF players currently playing, then when CD comes out (assuming that the game becomes a greate hit) will all be the best players, untill some of the GP noobs get better. hehe I won't be a complete noob anymore! there will be a ton of people worse than me, and I\"ll be happy to beat some D3 lessons into them.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Do_Checkor wrote:Keeping in mind that PXO is dead and it is really difficult to get D3 installed / patched / online / intogames these days it is REALLY more alive then about 3 years ago.

Ray? You are wrong - open your eyes - stop whining and maybe better stfu and leave quietly instead of posting crap like this...
First paragraph= bs. Second paragraph= BFD. I checked the Descent tracker and there were 6 guys playing. Wow, impressive Grasshopper. Third paragraph: Growup chump. Hangup up yer roller skates and come play a man's sim instead of a 12 year old cartoon Junior. Descent was good in its day but it's passe. Time to experience REAL flying instead of floating around like some damn baloon. Lol. Or do you like to hang with the kiddies? Check out what I'm offering instead of acting like some child who just got his sucker swiped.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

What is it about RW sims ? If I want reality I'll go outside. If I want fun I'll play whacko games about things I can't do in RL.
Codger wrote:Time to experience REAL flying instead of floating around like some damn baloon.
That looks like an offer for flight lessions in a real plane -- count me in ! :) (err, you do have a pacemaker right ? Don't want to loose the instructor in the middle of a flight.. ;))
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

D3Jake wrote:hehe I won't be a complete noob anymore! there will be a ton of people worse than me
yeah, but they will only be worse than me for about 2 days... <sigh>
Codger wrote:I checked the Descent tracker and there were 6 guys playing. Wow, impressive Grasshopper.
6 guys makes a good game. So, it appears that you aren't interested in playing, its that you only like playing games that are "popular". Ah well, perhaps you will come back to D3 after CD. :)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Codger wrote:
Do_Checkor wrote:Keeping in mind that PXO is dead and it is really difficult to get D3 installed / patched / online / intogames these days it is REALLY more alive then about 3 years ago.

First paragraph= bs. Second paragraph= BFD. I checked the Descent tracker and there were 6 guys playing. Wow, impressive Grasshopper. Third paragraph: Growup chump. Hangup up yer roller skates and come play a man's sim instead of a 12 year old cartoon Junior. Descent was good in its day but it's passe. Time to experience REAL flying instead of floating around like some damn baloon. Lol. Or do you like to hang with the kiddies? Check out what I'm offering instead of acting like some child who just got his sucker swiped.
Geez...

Codger, your basically shooting down this game because you like the other game better. Either way, your playing a game you like... like we are. If I wanted to fly a plane I would go to my friends house and fly his MS2004 flight simulator. I have many times and its fun each time. He showed me how to navigate using the GPS, fly by coordinates, fly a Jumbo jet, crash several times, and finally land on an aircraft carrier with hard mode on. I was impressed with it.

D3 is not a flight simulator. Its just a game like the flight sim your playing now. I like them both but I like D3 and my D3 friends better. So, why are you still here and not in a flight simulator forum.

Bee
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Why don't you guys stop yappin' and get in a D3 game! I was just playing Keg Party and that level was way fun! :)
Why doesn't it work?
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Well, actually it wasn't my intent to shoot the game down or start a flame war. It's like the one gent above observed: it was an invitation. I've met some talented pilots in the Descent series and I thought, what the hell, maybe they'd like to message those skills in a slightly different flying mode. So, simmer down guys. I don't dis the big D, I just moved on that's all. It's a known fact that guys over 40 move on to less twitchy first person shooters. I had to move on. I kept getting repetitive motion injuries and I got tired of either buying new sticks or sending 'em for repair. Saitek got real tired of me. And by the way I am a licensed flight instructor I just didn't get a thrill out of students trying to kill me. Although we all gotta start somewhere my nerves couldn't handle it.

Oh yeah. Bee. This just aint some straight and level flight sim. like MS2004. This is a combat flight sim., the graphics and flight modeling like you have never experienced. You like combat right? Chucking them mortars and frags around, right? Try Il-2. Some of the servers are T-1, not some home grown job on dialup. You connect with your shots you blow a wing off. Like one guy said 'bout d3 \"WYSINOTWYG.\" Not so where I go. So, back to my forum. Just a little disappointed about the closed minds I just met, not all of you, just some.

Boy... some of you are real touchy, like I just insulted your wife or husband or whatever.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

to barrow a phrase: \"Descent will only be gone when there are none left playing it.\"

:wink:

While it may not be the game I play 24/7 anymore, it will always be a game i go back to. It's one of THE most unique games.

Ray.. go play some more WoW. ;D
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Duper wrote:to barrow a phrase: "Descent will only be gone when there are none left playing it."

:wink:

While it may not be the game I play 24/7 anymore, it will always be a game i go back to. It's one of THE most unique games.

Ray.. go play some more WoW. ;D
Hmm, interesting. I did play Wings of War for awhile but found it too arcady. Although these birds flew somewhat like an airplane you couldn't stall or spin 'em. Wing loading, p-factor, prop torque effects are non existant. In a word, arcady. Nothing wrong with that, afterall I did play the D series for years. :roll:
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

lol Il-2 is so boring i cant belive u posted that crap here
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hehe.. WoW = World of Warcraft. It's the new \"Evercrack\".

Personally, I've been flying the flight combat sim IL-2 and it's add-ons with Cuda. Very different from Descent. Another fun game that is very arcadeish was Crimson skies. Unfortunately, it doesn't play on XP. Microsoft is the only company i know that that messes up themselves more the further along they go.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Codger wrote:Well, actually it wasn't my intent to shoot the game down or start a flame war. It's like the one gent above observed: it was an invitation. I've met some talented pilots in the Descent series and I thought, what the hell, maybe they'd like to message those skills in a slightly different flying mode. So, simmer down guys. I don't dis the big D, I just moved on that's all. It's a known fact that guys over 40 move on to less twitchy first person shooters. I had to move on. I kept getting repetitive motion injuries and I got tired of either buying new sticks or sending 'em for repair. Saitek got real tired of me. And by the way I am a licensed flight instructor I just didn't get a thrill out of students trying to kill me. Although we all gotta start somewhere my nerves couldn't handle it.

Oh yeah. Bee. This just aint some straight and level flight sim. like MS2004. This is a combat flight sim., the graphics and flight modeling like you have never experienced. You like combat right? Chucking them mortars and frags around, right? Try Il-2. Some of the servers are T-1, not some home grown job on dialup. You connect with your shots you blow a wing off. Like one guy said 'bout d3 "WYSINOTWYG." Not so where I go. So, back to my forum. Just a little disappointed about the closed minds I just met, not all of you, just some.

Boy... some of you are real touchy, like I just insulted your wife or husband or whatever.
Codger...sorry. I put my Glocks back in my holster now. :) I'm just so defensive about this game because its the only online game I play. I will look at the game you mentioned. :)

Bee
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Duper wrote:hehe.. WoW = World of Warcraft. It's the new "Evercrack".

Personally, I've been flying the flight combat sim IL-2 and it's add-ons with Cuda. Very different from Descent. Another fun game that is very arcadeish was Crimson skies. Unfortunately, it doesn't play on XP. Microsoft is the only company i know that that messes up themselves more the further along they go.
Correct on all counts. Never played World of Warcraft. WOW also referred to "Wings of War", WWI kind of a sim.

"lol Il-2 is so boring i cant belive u posted that crap here"

Are you nuts? Try it online with up to 30 pilots with little appreciable lag. Crap. You'll be busier than a one armed paper hanger. You'll be dry mopping your armpits. You'll be so tired and p***ed off that these bastids keep shooting you down.

Oh yeah, better get TrackIr. It's just too hard using the number pad to check 360 degrees of view for bogies homing in on you. Look guys, your smart. You like challenges, right? You can continue to play D3 but you can also get your guts wrenched in some truly dynamaic action.

Do you realize that when they developed this game actual WWII pilots were consultants? Are you aware that real modern day military fighter jocks fly this sim for s***ts and giggles knocking amatuers down? There was a commercial on tv about some FPS commando game or other where kids were playing real special ops fighters and getting their butts handed to them. Well... it's for real. Just pick your poison--flying or ground pounding. Cripes, you probably think I'm paid by the developer at this point. That'll be the next accusation.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Codger. the next \"evolution\" in the IL-2 francise is the Battle of Brittain. It due out first quarter of next year. It looks extremely promising with complete modeling for damage accuracy and a ton more.

You are quite right about the Track IR, I ca't afford one right now so I use my hat control .. yeeesh.. I know of one guy who uses his mouse for looking round, but that takes a bit more dexterity that I've got.

Still, I love thrashing on bots. ;D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I love it when no-one cares enough about the games I play to rag on them.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Well, thanks folks. I think I stirred up this hornet's nest enuff this time around.

Descent will always have great memories for me. I remember when I played Descent 1 online. I remember playing endless hours of Minerva in D2 online. I remember when D3 first came out. I couldn't even get it to install on my machine. And when I could build a box that could handle it you couldn't get me out of my computer room or \"the hole\" as my wife refers to it.

If you ever go online with this game my handle is \"Craper\"... Don't ask.

GAME HISTORY

Pacific Fighters is the last in a series of 4 releases by 1C:Maddox that use the same core game engine. The aircraft you refer to are legacy items from previous releases. The complete set is:

IL2 Sturmovik: A standalone game based on the Eastern Front of the European WW2 conflict.

IL2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles: The sequel. Also standalone, it includes all maps and aircraft from the original game plus some extras. It also added a semi-dynamic campaign mission generator but dropped some of the missions that shipped with the original. Flight and damage modelling also received some tuning and enhancement, as did the available difficulty settings and a few other odds and ends. If you're new to the game and want the most content, this is where to start.

Aces Expansion Pack: An add-on for Forgotten Battles that gives even more aircraft and maps and also further enhanced flight and damage models. By this stage of the series the available maps include a couple from the Europan western front. This one is also required for maximum content but is currently very scarce as it's out of print over most of the world. There is also a Gold Pack (again out of print in most locations) that includes both Forgotten Battles and Aces Expansion Pack in a single box (3 CD's)

Pacific Fighters: This product expanded the series into the Pacific Theatre. It can be installed as a standalone game (as you have done) with only Pacific maps and aircraft. It can also be installed as a stage 2 add-on for the combined Forgotten Battles/Aces Expansion Pack version.
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

d3jake wrote:I'm thinking about it this way:
If we are the "only" group of 6DoF players currently playing, then when CD comes out (assuming that the game becomes a greate hit) will all be the best players, untill some of the GP noobs get better. hehe I won't be a complete noob anymore! there will be a ton of people worse than me, and I"ll be happy to beat some D3 lessons into them.

You might think. However, if as the CD designers claim, its engine and game balance will harken back to D1, and that occurs, then D3 rats may not enjoy as much advantage as they think. Likewise, if the engine turns out to play differently than any of the Descent games, you might actually have to unlearn things.

Time will tell.

- Sirian
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Codger, check your pm's.

:)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Try it online with up to 30 pilots with little appreciable lag. Crap. You'll be busier than a one armed paper hanger. You'll be dry mopping your armpits. You'll be so tired and p***ed off that these bastids keep shooting you down.
I get the same efftect, but it's only 6 guys in Acent. I get so p***ed of at getting my butt blown off... And get tired of it farily quickly...
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Codger, get your dumb ass outta here. We play this game cuz we like it... it is so far removed from a dumbass flight sim for a reason. If we liked that sh1t, we'd be playing that, but we don't, cuz we don't like it. We know it exists, and it ★■◆●ing blows, so we choose to ignore it, and play this. Coming to a DESCENT forum to ask people to switch over to another game? This game has so many few players, and such a loyal following... you think it'd be that easy? We've stuck with this game for a long time for a reason.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Can you hear the voice of this thread? It says: \"lock me please\".
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

This could be a productive thread, if people quit with the personal attacks.

But, I know it won't happen..

sooo...