D2X-XL suggestions thread

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can kill only the thieves using a D2X-XL specific cheat code - at the cost cheating comes at. That's all I will do. If you want to get rid of the thief, you've got to pay the price. ;)
Yogi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Thief Bot config switch for D2

Post by Yogi »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:
Yogi wrote:I did a search in the D2X forum and found no such suggestions: for D2, add a switch config setting to have thief bot in game (value of 1) or no thief bot in the game (value of zero). Would this be too much work Diedel?

Thanks,
Yogi
Isn't that like "cheating"? :P

Scared of him are ya?? :lol:
Thief bot is more a pain in my furry bottom than a real threat. I am trying to not waste ammo destroying the bot. And, besides, that thief bot sort of works on my guilty conscience - since I steal many pic-a-nic baskets with all kinds of goodies!

Yogi
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hm ... I will make a switch that makes Yogi believe he can turn off the thief bot with, while in reality it makes a super thief using megas, stealing everything at once and being a huge major PITA (tm)! :mrgreen:
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

You forgot the diabolical laughter BWAA-HHHAA-HA-HA-HA!! :evil:

I have realized recently that std mines are quite effective against the thiefbot. Especially if you can chase him into a room with a single door on it. Lay a string of mines behind you as you go in and then chase him so that he tries to exit....at great speed....into waiting mines.....YES!!!!

Very satisfying! :wink:
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Is it possible to have the standard \"collect powerup\" sound when getting cloak and invulnerability items as inventory? It just seems a bit odd to assimilate them (insert your favourite BORG quote here) with no audio cue whatsoever.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sure.
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by reetus »

Suggestions for both D1 and D2, either or...

I would like to see 4 keys, a green one added with corresponding secondary textures for green doors etc.

Guided missles in D1 (one can dream!)

A ricocheting weapon would be nice in D1 but I imagine that is asking a lot.I might as well just use D2 in this case.

I think I remember seeing this in the suggestion thread...The ability to toggle dual missle fire during gameplay without going to the options menu.

Object triggers in D1.

I know, I know.....just play D2! :roll:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Uh... yeah... because D1 with more weapons basically is D2.

You can re-balance them if that's what you're thinking, but other than that...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

reetus wrote:I know, I know.....just play D2! :roll:
Exactly. ;)

You can always omit weapons and equipment you don't like from your levels, and in multiplayer from every level chosen if you are the game host.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

D1 should be what it is.... Descent 1.

Nothing more, end of story.

Add all you want to D2.

Just make most of it off by default or an option to turn it off and I'll be happy! ;)

Why another key?

Do we really need another key? :roll:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:Why another key?

Do we really need another key? :roll:
That would just be boring.

reetus,

If you want something new, create D2X-XL levels with riddles using switches, and put some of them into robots. ;)
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

I wonder how hard it would be to incorporate the pilot pix zip from D3,or an organized new one maybe for newer players in XL.
I never really played online much, but the few times when i did it was kinda cool,,When killing/getting killed/and or comms their lil personal icon/avatar popped up.Along with them using personal audio taunts was pretty cool.
It sounds like it would be a tall request to fill though..and prolly created lag or twitchiness, i dunno, at the time I was lucky to get under a 500/700 ping and discos with our crappy ISP here, so it ALL lagged for me.
Tim
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tim »

Could you make d2x-xl do one of two things
1: check to see if there is a d2x.ini and if not then create one
2: check to see if there is a custom.ini(or something like that) and of so use it instead of d2x.ini.
The point is so that I don't have to keep making sure not to overwrite my d2x.ini every time I install an update.
And please just make an \"enable cheats\" option in multiplayer.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

1. no
2. You can specify an alternate ini file using the cmd line (see my D2 site)
3. no
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

A splash screen with Aus-RED-5 wallpaper,,
kinda like D13dfx had would be cool 8)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

hummm... yeah, a custom splash screen would be cool.
Is that possible Diedel?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

If you explain to me what exactly you mean ...?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

A splash screen.
Just like what DLE-XP has.

When launching d2x-xl. It will show you a logo or custom pic before going to main menu.

Kinda like what Descent 1 3dfx version had.
When you launched the game, you got a 3dfx logo. Then a D1 3dfx pic and whatever else after that.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sure, you can make one.

But there is already that Interplay intro movie from the PSX D2 version available.

Ofc that doesn't mean a splash screen could be shown also.

Personally, I dislike splash screens and intro movies though. They just delay being able to access the game.
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by reetus »

for D1 and D2, A power bar showing the health of the boss? Not for every robot, just the boss. It would be nice to know if he is almost dead. :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Uhm. Sounds like cheating to me.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:Personally, I dislike splash screens and intro movies though. They just delay being able to access the game.
This is true. I don't care for them either. Just thought it could be a good option for some who might like it.
Just put this suggestion at the very bottum of the list of things to do. ;)
reetus wrote:for D1 and D2, A power bar showing the health of the boss? Not for every robot, just the boss. It would be nice to know if he is almost dead. :)
If such a thing was added. It should be a cheat command or an option to turn on or off in config. Like the options for "Show Robots on radar" and "Show powerups on radar". ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sirius wrote:Uhm. Sounds like cheating to me.
Why should that be cheating. It doesn't make the Boss one bit weaker or more dead. It's just for you so that you know what effect your efforts have had so far. ;)
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

When you use a cloak (and I think invuln) inventory item, you get the pickup sound. Could you keep the pickup sound but change the use sound to the original sound used before they became inventory items?

It just doesn't sound right!! Please..... :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

No, it doesn't sound right, and it should sound properly. ;)
zif
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: D2X-XL suggestions thread

Post by zif »

Diedel wrote:This thread is intended for suggestions regarding D2X-XL - no bug reports, no questions here please.
I wasn't sure if this should be in Q&A or Suggestions, but here goes...

Can you please put the older OGL reticle back in as an option?
The one from before the v1.6.89 change "Improved: OpenGL reticle visuals"

Old & New...
ImageImage
If it's still available in there somewhere, can you tell me how to activate it (and my apologies for this being a question and in the wrong thread in that case).

*EDIT* Actually... I've just tried toggling -gl_reticle 1/0 again in v1.6.74 and v1.6.103 and compared the reticle and it seems to stay exactly the same in v1.6.103 no matter how the option is set. Maybe this is a bug instead? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Max
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

did you try and apply the -gl_reticle 1 in the d2x.ini file as well?
zif
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by zif »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:did you try and apply the -gl_reticle 1 in the d2x.ini file as well?
Yeah, that was the only place I had previously messed with it. With it set as 0, 1 or even commented out I still get the same reticle. I've now tried it as a command-line parameter with no d2x.ini file... same thing.

Does the option work for you? Do you get different Bitmap and OGL reticles?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

nope. Not working for me.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

-gl_reticle 2
zif
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by zif »

Diedel wrote:-gl_reticle 2
Tried that as well and there was no difference.

*EDIT* Ignore what I said here before about -gl_reticle being listed twice in the printlog.. that was my doing due to misuse of http://shellext.synesis.com.au/#merunprg). But I still get no reticle changes with -gl_reticle 0/1/2 though).
The Man
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by The Man »

Is the hi-poly pyro the only replacement model d2x-xl can handle? Would it be possible to use all the d3 power models as replacements and insert other d3 models?

Or has this been already implemented when the pyro replacement was made? I havnt checked.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Theoretically, hires models for all objects can be supported. I just need someone to create them and convert them to OOF format. D2X-XL doesn't currently support rotating or moving object parts for hires models though.

zif,

I just made the OpenGL reticle lines thicker, and I will not revert that. I think it looks much better than the old OpenGL reticle with its one pixel wide lines.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Diedel wrote:This thread is intended for suggestions regarding D2X-XL - no bug reports, no questions here please.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ummm ... yeah. :P
zif
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by zif »

Diedel wrote:I just made the OpenGL reticle lines thicker, and I will not revert that. I think it looks much better than the old OpenGL reticle with its one pixel wide lines.
Well what I see with -gl_reticle 1 or 2 enabled looks fat and ugly. The thinner version was much better.

Therefore; my suggestion/request for the re-implementation of the old reticle as an *option*, not a reversion, stands.
zif
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by zif »

d3jake wrote:
Well fortunately it turns out that it was a suggestion, after all.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

:p
Diedel wrote:
Sirius wrote:Uhm. Sounds like cheating to me.
Why should that be cheating. It doesn't make the Boss one bit weaker or more dead. It's just for you so that you know what effect your efforts have had so far. ;)
So, what's the probability of this being added, or has it already?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

zif wrote:
Diedel wrote:I just made the OpenGL reticle lines thicker, and I will not revert that. I think it looks much better than the old OpenGL reticle with its one pixel wide lines.
Well what I see with -gl_reticle 1 or 2 enabled looks fat and ugly. The thinner version was much better.

Therefore; my suggestion/request for the re-implementation of the old reticle as an *option*, not a reversion, stands.
If you know anything about editing the D2.hog file.
Why not just make your own reticle and save it to the hog file?

In the old days when I used to make levels. I added custom recticles to a pog file for that level.

I bet I could do better nowa days. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

d3jake wrote:Would there be a way to setup D2X so we can change what the GUide-Bot says? Like instead of I'm coining back to get you" it'll say, "i'm coiming back yo find your lard @$$" well...something like that...
You can edit descent.tex.eng and put it in the D2 or data folder under the name descent.tex.

I might add damage indicators for bots in the future, but no promises, only if I feel like it. ;)