D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows - continuation thread

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ja ja. Get v1.6.117 already.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:Ja ja. Get v1.6.117 already.
I'll have cheese with that wine! :P

Version .117

Still have the robots can see through walls/ secret doors.
ImageImage
The second pic is from the hostage room. :wink:

:EDIT:
OI!
You edited your post!

I seen that "whiners" remark! :P :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I just waited long enough for you to see it ... :roll:

:P :P :P

My robots cannot see through walls. Heck, don't blame me if you cannot take care of yours! :P

heh.

OMG.

The pain never stops.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I belive that the Object Triggering doesn't work anymore.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Indeed. :o
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

Subtitles are not work? It's not fair, cuz I'm Deaf. I don't uderstand what there movies said. :?
MD1985
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:My robots cannot see through walls. Heck, don't blame me if you cannot take care of yours! :P

heh.
Ok so what switches are you using then?

Maybe I have something set wrong?

I don't know. I give up. :roll:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I can definitely say that on my system, robots cannot see through hires doors if they are closed and not transparent. I checked it on insane to make sure bots behind doors would notice me if they could somehow see me.

Are you using v1.6.118?
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I don't see bots through walls without Descent 2 Afterburner High Resolution Textures. I think.
MD1985
Tim
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tim »

They see through walls for me, I have the Afterburner Project stuff on.
Every time I get into D2X-XL, my joystick Y-axis is inverted, it is really annoying.
Porgys and bigred act like regular Wowie Zowie Weapons in D1 levels.
(__/)Save Pokemon, Destroy Yu-Gi-Oh<br>(O.o )<br>(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Jonathan Paskiewicz wrote:I don't see bots through walls without Descent 2 Afterburner High Resolution Textures. I think.
I don't see them, they see me. The sceenshots don't show robots.
If you look at them in full res you'll see what look like robots trying to shoot thru the walls.

Diedel.
Yes I'm using version x.x.118 and the "afterburn" textures.
I even uninstalled Descent2 and then re installed Descent2 with D2x-xl version x.x.118.
Still the same thing. :evil:

I'll have to write down all the setting I have for D2x-xl, ini switches and ingame options.
Maybe you can try what I have and see if you get what I get? :roll:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Aus-RED,

the problem with hires doors is that some are smaller than the regular textures and therefore have a transparent frame. If such a door is used as primary texture, it is considered transparent, i.e. the bots can notice you if you're on the other side.

If it's a full size camouflaged wall texture door this is however not the case, and I could not observe the behaviour you described, not even with bots on insane so that they would really notice me if they had any change to.

I will stay on this, but so far couldn't get a hold of this problem.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:Aus-RED,

the problem with hires doors is that some are smaller than the regular textures and therefore have a transparent frame. If such a door is used as primary texture, it is considered transparent, i.e. the bots can notice you if you're on the other side.

If it's a full size camouflaged wall texture door this is however not the case, and I could not observe the behaviour you described, not even with bots on insane so that they would really notice me if they had any change to.

I will stay on this, but so far couldn't get a hold of this problem.
Am I not using the same textures as you or what?

I'm using Dizzy's textures. If robots don't see you while using Dizzy's textures. Then why are they seeing me when using them?

After a quick test......
It has something to do with the textures, because turning them off the robots don't see me. :?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

That door indeed is considered transparent by D2X-XL even if closed. That is because its image has (a) transparent pixel(s) in the first (closed door) frame. I just loaded it into PSP and recreated the alpha channel for the transparent areas, and now everything is ok.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel wrote:That door indeed is considered transparent by D2X-XL even if closed. That is because its image has (a) transparent pixel(s) in the first (closed door) frame. I just loaded it into PSP and recreated the alpha channel for the transparent areas, and now everything is ok.
Ok for you but not me.

Care to host the fixed texture please?

Or maybe send it to Dizzy for him to host?

I'm to lazy to fix it myself, because I'm in the middle of doing something else. :twisted:
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I turned Subtitles Show on then still nothing. :|
MD1985
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

I have this prob with all the hidden full textured doors,(which kinda negates the \"fixed texture and single pixel transparency)Ive found with or without transparency, with or with out alpha, whether its super trans or just transparent they all act the same (try it yourself you'll see), I caught the single pixel trans in the door and a few along the 512 baseline of frame one, filled them reapplied a new alpha.It still acts/does the same. If its the texture thats cool, Ill certainly fix it or change the way Im creating, but this isnt very convincing, like I said ive worked these things a half a dozen different ways and they all have reacted the same in game over various versions consistantly i.e..the bots shooting thru the doors,I even application proofed myself(made sure the alpha was in fact being applied) by making the door disappear thru alpha, if i was lazy about it and was jus sayin this that would be one thing, but I have hours of troubleshooting each single texture to make sure they work right and or look right.That makes the resolve very easy for me.
Jus let me know what ya need, if I do have somethin amiss 8)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I will continue to check this.

I need you to run D2X-XL using the cmd line switch -printlog and post d2x.log from your descent folder here.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

I got the game log, but Diedel I think you got it at 1.6.119 ,I updated and everywhere i was witnessing this, now seems normal.Flares hit on the entire door and no bot attack,,Thats Awesome :)
Tim
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tim »

Just noticed that my joystick Y axis inverts every time I load a saved game too.
Also, on one of my computers my joystick movemend is delayed(I tilt my joystick then re-center it and about 1/2 second later my ship turns). It didn't used to do this and it works great in other games.
(__/)Save Pokemon, Destroy Yu-Gi-Oh<br>(O.o )<br>(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

DizzyRox wrote:I got the game log, but Diedel I think you got it at 1.6.119 ,I updated and everywhere i was witnessing this, now seems normal.Flares hit on the entire door and no bot attack,,Thats Awesome :)
Are you sure it fixed?

I'm using version x.x.119 and I'm still getting the bots trying to shoot through hidden doors. :roll:

If its not the way D2x reads the textures. Then its the texture them selfs.
I can turn them off and no bots see me through the hidden doors.

All this even with a "fresh" install and new pilots profile. :roll:
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

I think Im understanding whats going on with this.
DTX2 labels super transparency textures with a \"S\" it calls them \"see through\" all of them have the purple transparency color dedicated to them. These texture doors are not designated as \"See through or Super Transparency\" rather as plain transparancy textures no different than the panels, and thats how I created them. But D2X-XL apparently does not treat these \"plain transparency\" texture doors the same as the original Descent2 (as we can see).So, It appears Diedel has made it now so All doors, if given the super transparancy will work correctly,Basically making them just like the regular full metal doors.
On the Level1 rock door ,with super trans works perfectly under 119. The only hiccup (yet not a bad hiccup) is the level 3 purple door acted normal with or without the super trans under 119, while with the rock door in level 1, clearly I was shot at without super trans and was not with it.
This \"All Doors needing to be Super Transparancy\" maybe one for the D2X-XL FAQ page for future developers.
Never the less, here's all the doors released in the 8 pack,in super transparency. I made them like this just after they were first released,When Diedel commented about them not being able to be used as overlay textures.I figured that meant he thought they should be in super trans,but up untill now its made no difference as door performance goes, I had been getting shot at also ,even with the super trans textures.
So once he updated to 119 it fixed all here.

Edit:Pulled super trans doors file
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Dizzy,

this is not true.

D2X-XL should recognize if a door frame is not transparent (transparent means that there is at least one pixel with alpha < 128).

One mistake I had made was that I had failed to distinguish the frames of a hires door, i.e. when one frame had transparency, I had marked the entire texture as transparent, hence considering even the opaque first (closed door) frame as transparent. The technical reason was that there is only one 'transparent' flag for an entire texture in D2. I have changed this now, so a hires texture has a flag per frame.

I have tested this particularly for the door Aus-RED reported as not working properly, and everything worked with these changes (and after my removing the transparent pixels from the first frame). For the test, I had built a two cube level with the door37 separating the two cubes, and had debugged the code, setting break points at the code lines that tested for transparency, and the (closed) door was reported as being not transparent.

Actually it may cause problems if a texture not being used as overlay to a base texture contains supertransparency.

Bottom line: A door that is intended to be used as bottom texture (not as overlay) doesn't need (color coded) supertransparency, but just regular (alpha coded) transparency. If this does not work as expected, something goes wrong.

If there are still problems, I need to know (again) which doors in which places cause them.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Oh ok, cool thanks diedel, Thats was jus the way it seemed from this end.

I changed the textures back to the original ones. 8)
Changed mine to the original ones and All is good so far, here then with 119, sweet job Diedel :D
Sorry Aus ,thought I was on to somethin, That'll teach me to not ASSume or speculate anything about coding, :roll:
Although Mine working now and Aus's not kinda points to ,I may have gotten the alpha backwards or not applied to one or more of the doors released,irregardless to my application proofing. Try these Aus, http://webpages.charter.net/ericengland ... s8pack.zip
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

One more info: I can do what I want with this fkn sh1t tool PSP - I always end up with some alpha < 128 in the first frame of door37. Strangely enough, it is not 0 then, but some random value. PSP is such crap. I wish I had never wasted any money on it. :evil: :evil: :evil:

What this means is that D2X-XL still considers my 'fix' of this texture as transparent in frame #1.

Dizzy, I will get your fixed door texture and check it out later today.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Yeah this must be the deal Diedel, cause I found that trans pixel and clone tooled it the other day when you mentioned it, it didnt work for me at the time but its working good now after updating to 119.
Your the Man 8)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have built a fix into D2X-XL v1.6.120 that marks the first frame of every hires door texture as opaque, whether it contains transparency or not. Gameplay-wise that makes perfect sense, and a level author who uses a door as base texture that would need to be an overlay because it doesn't fill out the entire face has made a mistake anyway.

One disclaimer: D2X-XL allows entire walls to be made transparent, so a door made transparent that way will always be see-thru.

Will be uploading the new version soon.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Ok,
D/Led version x.x.120 and Dizzy's texture pack.

I'm happy to report no bots trying to shoot me through hidden door and other probs as of yet. :P

Thanks guys for your hard work!

I love it when things work right! :mrgreen:
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Wait... there's a problem there Diedel. In D2 lvl2, when you fly past the reactor through a hidden door, and down some wierd tunnel, there is a grate door, but from what you said it'll be marked opaque, even though I've had robots fire through it in the past. THis woudl also concern the final door leading to the bosses chamber in lvl4. I used to have to sit in the door behind it becuase I was afraid of bots firing through it.
Now, due to this change, are those doors non-fire-throughable?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I excluded the doors with distinct see-thru areas, like the grated door, the prison door and the guidebot door. ;)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Oh... I should've known you would've thought of that... but I had to be sure :wink
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I'm not always that smart, so that's ok ... ;)
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Hey Diedel,
Ive been working on a lava pack to complete the lava textures, and I dont know that its a bug, but with Lava03 ,on level 10,where it animates the animation, (erumm I guess thats what its doing) well it blinks back and forth between the low res and high res textures at an increment of like every second maybe 2.yet I have a Lava5 lava fall, working in the same manner right with it and it doesnt do it.
Im at 1.6.119
Any Ideas?
thanks man 8)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Please send me the texture to karx11erx at hotmail dot com.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

DizzyRox wrote:Hey Diedel,
Ive been working on a lava pack to complete the lava textures, and I dont know that its a bug, but with Lava03 ,on level 10,where it animates the animation, (erumm I guess thats what its doing) well it blinks back and forth between the low res and high res textures at an increment of like every second maybe 2.yet I have a Lava5 lava fall, working in the same manner right with it and it doesnt do it.
Im at 1.6.119
Any Ideas?
thanks man 8)
This one sounds almost like the time I tried to do the new water textures. Got the same prob with the flashing of the textures. :(
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ah, I remember. Its the moving textures. I will re-check the water textures.

Errrm ... Dizzy, what about the fan? :D
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Diedel wrote:Ah, I remember. Its the moving textures. I will re-check the water textures.

Errrm ... Dizzy, what about the fan?
heh ,Somehow I knew you were gonna ask that. :lol:
Im mainly working on the fan, as you'll see by how unfinished the lava is..sometimes I jus get tired of working on one texture and work another (or 2) for variety sake.. :)

Aus !!! You got some water made?? hmm very cool,,
Ok give it up man, we know your holding out now!! :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Dizzy,

whatever suits you best. :)

I have Aus-RED's water texture for testing.

Edit:

A hint for 'flowing' (actually scrolling) textures.

If such a texture is an animation, the animation must be 'in the spot', i.e. not create a movement illusion by simply animating (i.e. playing the frames) already. The movement will be created by D2X-XL.
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

v1.6.123

In multiplayer, I actually found someone forming up a netgame, so I tried to join in. After clicking the game, the first screen I got was Downloading <Descent> with the download bar at 0%. Then I got \"The mission for that netgame is not installed on your system, cannot join\"

I have autodownload switched on, so shouldn't it have requested it from the game server? Is udp/ip failing or is there a problem somewhere? (Yes, gaze into your crystal ball and provide me an answer) :lol:
Pilot from Oz
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

both host and client need to have auto-download on for it to work. And then it can still fail. ;)