atomos

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

atomos

Post by Isaac »

If the earth is 1ge what's the gravitational pull of a single atom?

If the earth is 1ge and the earth weighs 5,972,000,000,000,000,000,000 metric tons could i figure out how much g's my body has by its weight?

When light acts as waves dose that mean it's similar to gravity (theory of reletivity)? When light acts as particles dose that mean it has mass, thus a gravitational pull?

Atoms are different from one material to another. The difference between metal and cotton are the atoms which are made up of the same 3 subatomic particles: elections, protons, and neutrons (some how these have something to do with big words like Quantum chromodynamics, Quantum electrodynamics, Quantum flavourdynamics, and General Relativity). How can a few adjustments between the 3
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Gravity

A g is a unit of acceleration, so it doesn't make sense to say that something, like the earth, is so many g's or ask how many g's something, like an atom, is. You're probably confusing gravitational acceleration with mass. In addition to being directly related to the mass of an object (like the earth or an atom), gravitational accleration is (inversely) related to distance (squared) between the two objects. The reason why all objects on earth experience 1 g of gravitational acceleration is because they're all (roughly) the same distance away from the center of the earth. There's no straightforward way to do this sort of simplification with an atom without giving a distance.

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: atomos

Post by Duper »

Isaac wrote: Atoms are different from one material to another. The difference between metal and cotton are the atoms which are made up of the same 3 subatomic particles: elections, protons, and neutrons ...

atoms are atoms. Yes they are comprised of 3 sub-components, um.. but "cotton" is not an element. I'm sure you know this. I would venture to say that cotton has a couple of metals in its make up though.

the only difference in atoms is the amount of eelctrons, neutrons, and protons. Other than that there is no difference.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

so weight vs mass vs gravity have no link? oh screw it. my head hurts thinking about this.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

weight and mass are relative. Weight is mass effected by gravity.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

sorry duper, you're wrong.

Weight is relative.

mass is absolute.

Mass does not change when observed from Earth, the ISS or the moon. Only the weight. A brick of lead can weigh almost nothing in the ISS, as well as a feather, a microphone or a glass of water. But they all contain the same amount of mass as they did back on Earth.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Ferno wrote:=Mass does not change when observed from Earth, the ISS or the moon. Only the weight. A brick of lead can weigh almost nothing in the ISS, but'll still hurt like crap if you get it with it.
fixed.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ferno wrote:sorry duper, you're wrong.

Weight is relative.

mass is absolute.

Mass does not change when observed from Earth, the ISS or the moon. Only the weight. A brick of lead can weigh almost nothing in the ISS, as well as a feather, a microphone or a glass of water. But they all contain the same amount of mass as they did back on Earth.
Quite correct.

Thanks :) Thought about that after I posted and was too lazy to change it.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

lol ok yeah weight is gravity! so how many pounds equal a g?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

A pound is a unit of force. A g is a unit of acceleration. They're not the same unit, but related according to Newton's 2nd law:
net force = mass*acceleration.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

What's thegravity of a single stom?

In fact, this is a very, very good question! We can calculate what the attraction between two atoms should be, but in practice, we can't yet measure it.

There is currently a satelite called \"Gravity Probe B\": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_Probe_B Interestingly, the spheres built for the gyroscopes are the finest machining ever done by man or machine.

One of the things about quantum gravity is that thedory says there may well be not enough gravity to fulfill Newtons laws. If we measure it to be too little, we will have proved the existence of at least 2 other dimensions at the quantum level, in our universe. (Gravity \"leaks\" into these other dimensions .)

It also now appears that Newton may be wrong at large distances also. If gravity diminishes at greater than the inverse-square rule at large distances (i.e. 50 AU +) then that would go a long way towards rectifying our failure to understand the universe at the level of gravity. Currently \"Dark Matter\" (Which I personally do not believe in) is credited with gravitic discrepancies at galactic and super-solar scales.
AndyX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AndyX »

Mobius wrote:What's thegravity of a single stom?
What´s a stom?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I think he mean atom, so in that case a stom would equivalent to hitting the wrong button.

I think I'm with Mobius- I'm not convinced about dark matter. I'm not convinced that Einstein's relativity is a perfect theory either. I think we'll keep on discovering problems with the theories, and keep on refining things. Don't get me wrong, each theory will be much more accurate than the previous one, it just won't be perfect.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Are all of these problems just being solved with math?