D2X-XL Bug Reports - Mac OS X

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Peter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peter »

Yeah, I have the black see through wall bug too.
I would help you with those sizeof() but I can't even compile the latest version. It comes up with 68 errors.
That is from the download link from the main website compared to the repository.
halprin
Another one bites the dust!
Vorn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Vorn »

Where is this repository you guys keep mentioning? I can't even begin to compile the stuff from the download link.

Vorn
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Link is on the installation page.
hangdog
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Warning: error: invalid polygon model

Post by hangdog »

Just as I am about to fly out of the vestibule, I get this error msg.

It doesn't crash, but becomes unusable at his point, as it puts up this msg continuously even if you hit OK. It seems to hit either when I first bank to go left or right, or as the door straight ahead opens.

This is on 10.3.9 on a dual G4 1.25 with 2G RAM, using my original Descent II install (yay OS9). I tried fddling with a few settings in the ini, but it happens with the default also, either fullscreen or windowed.

Can't seem to turn on the debug log - doesn't write anything anywhere.

The app is in /applications/games/d2x-xl

ideas?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Try to reinstall your data. You can also try to create a new player profile.
mummey
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: Warning: error: invalid polygon model

Post by mummey »

hangdog wrote:Just as I am about to fly out of the vestibule, I get this error msg.

It doesn't crash, but becomes unusable at his point, as it puts up this msg continuously even if you hit OK. It seems to hit either when I first bank to go left or right, or as the door straight ahead opens.

This is on 10.3.9 on a dual G4 1.25 with 2G RAM, using my original Descent II install (yay OS9). I tried fddling with a few settings in the ini, but it happens with the default also, either fullscreen or windowed.

Can't seem to turn on the debug log - doesn't write anything anywhere.

The app is in /applications/games/d2x-xl

ideas?
I got the same problem. "Warning: error: invalid polygon model" pops up as soon as a level loads.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Donate, ppl, donate, so that I will be able to buy a Mac and fix D2X-XL. ;)
mummey
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by mummey »

Diedel wrote:Donate, ppl, donate, so that I will be able to buy a Mac and fix D2X-XL. ;)
How do I donate?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Currently, you can only donate via PayPal. See my Descent 2 site for details.
mummey
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Haiku:

Post by mummey »

No more Mac version
Universal Binaries
are overrated.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

simx is working on a new mac version, but currently there are a few problems.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Just to let everyone know, the Mac build has been updated to 1.6.109. Yay! :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hooray to SimX! :D :D :D
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Thanks for the latest port, but just out of curiosity, are the advanced features of D2X-XL, such as the ones found in levels such as Glass House and Speed, as well as the ability to load hires textures and models, ever going to work on the Mac?
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Yeah, there are still some problems. Descent I missions don't work anymore, net play doesn't work, and some of the advanced levels don't work.

However, high-res textures and models DO work in the Mac version -- I've got them working on my Mac right now. Make sure you edit your d2x.ini file to include \"-hires_textures 1\", and then you need to put the texture quality slider at its max in Render Options --> Advanced Render Options.

Also, *most* of the custom levels I've downloaded work fine. The only ones that don't seem to work are the more complex ones like Glass House and the latest Lunar Outpost Reloaded level.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

simX wrote:However, high-res textures and models DO work in the Mac version -- I've got them working on my Mac right now. Make sure you edit your d2x.ini file to include "-hires_textures 1", and then you need to put the texture quality slider at its max in Render Options --> Advanced Render Options.
I did both of those and noticed no difference, although texture quality is at max by default.
simX wrote:Also, *most* of the custom levels I've downloaded work fine. The only ones that don't seem to work are the more complex ones like Glass House and the latest Lunar Outpost Reloaded level.
True, but I really would like to see the advanced stuff.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

For some reason, the OS X version cannot yet handle the D2X-XL level format.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Shadowfury333 wrote:I did both of those and noticed no difference, although texture quality is at max by default.
Hmm. Here's another thing you might check: if you have a "Config" folder inside your data folder, your d2x.ini file MUST be in the Config folder, or else it won't be recognized. I made this mistake myself when trying to get high-res textures to work. If you don't have a Config folder, the d2x.ini should just be in your data folder.

You've also stored all the textures inside a "Textures" folder in your data folder, correct?
Shadowfury333 wrote:True, but I really would like to see the advanced stuff.
I know, I know, I would too. I'm trying little by little to pick at problems like these, but I'm not exactly that familiar with the code, and I also probably don't have as much experience as I should to tinker around. So problems with the Mac version get fixed slowly as a result.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

simX wrote:Hmm. Here's another thing you might check: if you have a "Config" folder inside your data folder, your d2x.ini file MUST be in the Config folder, or else it won't be recognized. I made this mistake myself when trying to get high-res textures to work. If you don't have a Config folder, the d2x.ini should just be in your data folder.
Moot point, I use a terminal script that contains all of the necessary switches.
simX wrote:You've also stored all the textures inside a "Textures" folder in your data folder, correct?
As in Data/Textures? In that case, no. models/ and textures/ are both in the same folder as d2x-xl.app. I'll try moving it.

EDIT: Attempted, worked, thanks. However, the mipmapping isn't being processed anymore, so the non-hires textures look terrible. Not a huge complaint, but it certainly does make me want there to be more hires textures.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Shadowfury333 wrote:EDIT: Attempted, worked, thanks. However, the mipmapping isn't being processed anymore, so the non-hires textures look terrible. Not a huge complaint, but it certainly does make me want there to be more hires textures.
Wait, so if you have the Models and Textures folder on the same level as the application, mipmapping works, but not if you have the folders in their correct locations to use high-res textures? Or is this just something that got changed in a more recent version of D2X-XL than what you had before?
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

simX wrote:Wait, so if you have the Models and Textures folder on the same level as the application, mipmapping works, but not if you have the folders in their correct locations to use high-res textures? Or is this just something that got changed in a more recent version of D2X-XL than what you had before?
I'm not sure, but I think it is becuase I have a 32MB vidcard.

Also, how should the model look, becuase mine is different, but doesn't look quite like a pyro.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

I discovered that the Pyro model is a bit messed up with the Mac version. You're supposed to leave the .oof model file in the Models folder, and put all the .tga textures for the model into the Textures folder instead. (I originally dumped the model and the textures for the model BOTH into the Models folder, and you get basically a black untextured model this way.)

The problem is that some of the textures (the ones with the prefixes \"gx\", \"missile\", and \"multi\") cause D2X-XL to crash immediately upon launch. At least that's how it is on my machine.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Make sure all hires pyro texture filenames are in lowercase. You can grab the gz hires pyro archive to get lowercase filenames for them.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Diedel wrote:Make sure all hires pyro texture filenames are in lowercase. You can grab the gz hires pyro archive to get lowercase filenames for them.
Yeah, they're all in lowercase, but it still crashes. Not at my main computer right now, will debug tonight.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

I doubt textures are the problems. For me, I get this:

bottom:

back:

side:

those are not typos, the images above are, in fact, of the bottom, back and side respectively.

EDIT: I tried the texture thing, and the model reverted to the original D2 model.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hm. Maybe some problem properly decoding the TGA header? I tried to make this system independant, but maybe I failed? If the textures aren't quadratic, and the sides are exchanged you might e.g. get problems. Try to debug ReadTGA and see what it gets for the image dimensions of one of these images, and compare with a working image processing program.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

So, just a heads up: Diedel and I figured out the main problem about why some D2X-XL levels weren't loading in the Mac version. (\"It's always an endian issue.\" -- proverb)

There's still some problems in loading textures from D2X-XL levels, but Glass House and Lunar Outpost Reloaded are now loading without crashes. Expect to see this fix in the next Mac OS X binary. :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

simX,

did you read my e-mail? I might have figured why custom textures from pog files didn't get read.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Yeah, I e-mailed you back. :P It didn't. :P It actually causes D2X-XL to crash again and doesn't load the levels anymore.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ummm. Got time?
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Woo! Diedel and I have D2X-XL levels working (along with their textures), and we've got D1 (along with the right textures) working there too! Woo!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

WOOT!

Can I have a new rpm? :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Shadow,

it would have been a good idea (tm) to turn the shield sphere off before making screenshots of the pyro. :P
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Diedel wrote:Shadow,

it would have been a good idea (tm) to turn the shield sphere off before making screenshots of the pyro. :P
Oh sorry, I'll keep that in mind for any other times.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Woot! New Mac OS X binary out! :D Lots of Mac-specific fixes: complex D2X-XL levels work now, playing Descent 1 levels works again now, and it's now a universal binary!

(If someone on an Intel-Mac could test out the latest version, 1.6.121, and if someone on Mac OS X 10.2 or 10.3 could also test it out, that would be much appreciated. D2X-XL should still work in both cases.)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Good work, simX, thank you! :)
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Team effort, Diedel, team effort. I don't deserve all the credit. :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

But you deserve a lot of credit for it, fixing bugs just by following directives over Skype and giving me info what was happening in your code. :)
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Shadowfury333 wrote:I doubt textures are the problems. For me, I get this:
Shadowfury: please download the disk image for D2X-XL 1.6.122 for Mac OS X. This should fix the high-res model problem. If you could test and report back, that'd be great.

(By the way, it seemed to be a model problem, not a texture problem. :) )
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

simX wrote:
Shadowfury333 wrote:I doubt textures are the problems. For me, I get this:
By the way, it seemed to be a model problem, not a texture problem.
That's what I was trying to tell you.
simX wrote:Woot! New Mac OS X binary out! :D Lots of Mac-specific fixes: complex D2X-XL levels work now, playing Descent 1 levels works again now, and it's now a universal binary!
Now all we need is Multiplayer, and everything is all set. Thanks very much.