D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows - continuation thread

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

So!?
MD1985
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

Diedel wrote:Then you will have to crate a new player and use that one.
Created a new profile....still same ol resolution error :(
Larry
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Larry »

hi kirby,

i know that the Screen resolution Menu is messed up in Fullscreen mode, try to start D2 in Window mode and select your res :D that helped me
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The screen res prob is the recent introduction of a custom resolution, which was enabled due to a bug and saved in the player file. So the last resort is to use a new player file. Sorry.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

Hello everybody!

I've recently discovered the wonder that is D2X-XL. What you guys have done to the game, both in the code and visually, is outstanding. Unfortunatley, my game seems to be experiencing some problems, and I hope that you could shed some light on my issues.

One: When I select to start a new level from the \"New Game\" window, it crashes after saying \"Computing Illumination\". This bug does not appear when I turn it off. However, I can also load a savegame and it loads properly after computing illumination.

Two: This one is some sort of issue with the highres textures, which are amazing, by the way (I find myself flying up to walls to look at them). The game simply crashes, no nice error message to tell me, after I've started a level and flown around for a bit. This problem does not occur when highres textures are off. This has happened on many levels.

Three: The most irritating one by far. Weather or not I have the highres textures turned on, after I die, the game crashes (usually after playing the new life sound). I never actually SEE from my new spawnpoint, intstead, I see my desktop. This happens on any level.

That being said, I know that its probably my fault, I'm just not sure what exactly I did wrong...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hi Tempest,

welcome to the DBB. :)

I don't think it's your fault ... lightmap calculation crash bug confirmed, others not tested yet.

Usage if lightmaps is discouraged though: You will find that dynamic lighting (flares, shot out lights) do not work well together with this feature.

I don't quite know why I cannot get myself to removing it from D2X-XL ... maybe because I believe there's ppl who still want to have them.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

Thank you for your quick reply; I go to eat breakfast, and when I return I see you've responded. Thank you.

I guess I'm one of those people- lightmaps DO look cool, the one out of ten times i can get the game to function.

After turning them off, you fixed my problems. Thank you so, so very much.

You shouldnt remove a feature- just give it a warning and maybe move it to the advanced rendering area.

I have another question: Is there any way to play in third person? I want to see my pretty pyro but I only get to view its high-poly goodness when I die...not exactly my favorite time to see it!

After browsing through a few of the levels I couldnt play before, I found another bug: if you hit escape while you're taking fire(screen is red) or getting a powerup (screen is yellow) and abort the mission, the main menu becomes tinted with the color as well.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Alt+F12

Please read the manual and stuff on my D2 site. You can also press F1 anywhere in the menus to get an explanation of the highlighted option.

Make sure to look through the downloads and level areas, too. A D2X-XL user has even made a cool D2X-XL version of D2:Counterstrike, using colored light and transparency.

I know about the brightness bug already, but thanks anyway.
Larry
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Bombs

Post by Larry »

when I load a savegame all my bombs explode immediatley.

I can see now all robots on the Map in the level, even on places where I wasn't yet. Is it a new feature or a bug? I didn't find any Option for turning that off.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

There is an option. ;)
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

This isnt REALLY a bug, more like an oversight. Start a level with the sound off. If you return to the menu, and turn the sound on, the level's music will play, instead of the main menu's.

Another thing: on the change resolution screen, the little button that selects the resolution keeps moving down automatically, and for me, it reaches the 300xwhatever one, tells me my video card cant support my \"requested\" mode, and drops me back to the menu with 600x480. Its very irritating. I can ovveride it in the .ini, and the program runs fine until I go to the change resolution screen.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Please use the support ticket system - see the announcement thread.
AndyX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AndyX »

D2X-XL 1.8.58 crashes when selecting, creating or deleting a player profile. Can´t get into the game :(

System:
--PIII 800Mhz
--512MB Ram
--ATI Radeon 9600SE 64MB
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

AndyX,

Sorry man, but do you see the post above yours?

Please read the announcement thread.
Bug reports are no long being posted here.
In there it will tell you where to post them now.

Thanks. :)