so the classics roll into town

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

so the classics roll into town

Post by Ferno »

I head out, camera in tow, to snag a few pics of the event.

52 shots of classic goodness.

I got the raw pics on my machine at 1600x1200
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

the LOL-Cooler eh? :D
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well, they're definitely, um, vehicles... I guess...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Good stuff :)
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Holy crap! A GTO! One of the most expensive cars in the world..
That kind of car doesn't belong in a bling expo like that ;)
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Nice pics JD;

I sold to my Brother in law, a 1971 olds 442 W-30 (455 CUI), dual gate hurst shifter, vacuum dump air cleaner (actually delivered 10 BHP boost), did 0 to 100 KMH in 5 seconds, 3:91 gears 10 bolt posi... gads that thing would burn rubber at 100 KMH when you punched it. 4 miles to the gallon when you played... 22-25 mpg highway at 60 mph/70 mph.

and an 1970 Cutlass S, 350 2 barrel, 10.25:1 compression, manual brakes (cam was aggressive) 12 bolt posi, 2:11 gears... that thing did over 140 mph, I got a little over 27 mph on the highway when cruising at 62 mph.

He's being hounded by several car collectors to sell parts of the cars. Often at prices more than he paid for them.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

By Canucks post, why are we driving around in 4 cylinder cars that get less mpg?

Nice pics Fernman. Any 58 chevies there? Black with continental kit?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

there were a few belairs there.. but they weren't real nice looking.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

woodchip wrote:By Canucks post, why are we driving around in 4 cylinder cars that get less mpg?
Exactly.

Ya so why screw with the energy consumption formula and sell less gas? Why that would make our stocks fall, we cant have that Hrrumph, harumph...

We have technologies that once developed would eliminate oil overnight... how many oil investors and families want that? Ask Bush, he knows them all.

I ran a Mallory Dual point distributor to a MSD coil system, through 9 mm stainless steel braided solid conductor wires, resistors were terminated in the boots... nice cables no problems with the Alpine Stereo system at all;

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm
I ran quality points and spark plugs and used Penzoil
20-40, my dual exhaust system had an equalizer pipe
welded to join each exhaust side shortly after the headers... This balances the exhaust flow and reduces restriction which gives better economy AND power. Old school trick.

Fuel pump and system was upgraded and the carb was a tad smaller than I wanted... I wanted a 750 CFM and the biggest carb I could get at the time was a 675 CFM.
I've seen 455's bored, ported, nitrous, and tunnel-rammed, with Dual 1100 CFM systems... guy popped it into a VW beetle. You steered it with the wheelie bars. :o

I later plopped that quadrajet via a spacer plate onto an 1976 Dodge Aspen station wagon with a 318 CID and a 4 speed manual floor shift.

I adjusted the jets and fiddled with idle and secondary dump levels and made the 4 barrels to only turn on real late in the pedal travel. Oh did I mention this was a fully gusseted and reinforced drag-car that had a racing clutch and a Hurst shifter?

Thing popped wheelies when you popped the clutch and one day I nosed out a Viper 'till the end of an intersection... shitty driver... I would have wasted me if I was in the Viper :P , anyway the end of the intersection was when I had to shift and thats when his Turbos kick in and despite his poor driving skillz waste me. He spent $80,000 I spent $800.00 however.

He was so suprised and embarrassed a piece of crap was doing a wheelie and keeping up to him his girlfriend was laughing.

I got 32 MPG with that on the highway after I added cruise control.
27 in the City. Decked out with an 8-track deck and a chrome mini racing wheel I was stylin' :P

I let my boss drive it one day and he wanted to buy it :P
He said I stomped on the gas to pass someone and it felt like a rocket! Scared the **** outta him.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I wonder how that car would perform if you ran it on straight alcohol?
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

woodchip wrote:By Canucks post, why are we driving around in 4 cylinder cars that get less mpg?
Its all marketing. Basically you have a small engine, and the reason why you get good MPG in the first place is because its small and made out of plastic. A larger and heavier car will do just as good, if not better, and with a bigger engine. Smaller doesn't mean better.

Where there is a difference is in city driving. Obviously you need more power to push more mass. But as long as you are not driving a damn SUV, a large 4 door car will do you good with gas (if it has the proper engine!)

Ok, im not sober so I had to edit this a couple of times, but I hope it makes sense. You dont start putting a model plane engine in your car to save gas. There comes a point where you get diminishing return and its not worth it. Hence, leave those damn lawn mower engines on the mowers and get a properly sized v6. Prefferably an American one. :P
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Top Wop wrote:Ok, im not sober so I had to edit this a couple of times
Ah, that explains pretty much your whole post.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Vindicator wrote:
Top Wop wrote:Ok, im not sober so I had to edit this a couple of times
Ah, that explains pretty much your whole post.
Would you care to educate me and point out exactly whats wrong with it?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

ok, that's enough.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Nothing especially wrong with it, i was just having trouble following your train of thought till you got to that part. Relax :)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im sorry for going off topic like that.

But those are some pretty nice cars.