High Octane releases screenshots

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Mr. Professional Developer should understand that the majority of the work is in the engine, and it shows off rather well.

There are at least 10 professional developers on this board, myself included. We're happy.

Speaking of the engine, have you any weapon effect screenies?
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Yes and no, we have been using one of the stock guns that come with the engine strapped to a ship so the effects and such are not our work therefore I have no reason to screenshot it just yet. No time frame yet on when I'll have effect shots of any kind. Shaders and such, sure... Just give me some more time to stuff more content in there... not easy on a home box. It's quite a juggling game.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Sirius wrote:Hell, even if the texture work sucks ass, that doesn't make the engine unusable. That's all I care about any more. :)

Well, that and the toolset.
What texture work?

The only texture that was actually worked on was the ship texture. The rest are stuff I threw on to get the movie done, and since I didn't just happen to have a folder full of incredible textures with normal maps, you get what you see.

Toolset/Level/Object creation
You can create content for Core Decision right now.
Pick your favorite 3d app and get started modelling and painting - there's your toolset. The engine imports .obj and .x files.
I personally stuck with Lightwave 3d after evaluating all the other major packages available. The hidden backbone of the 3d world :]
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Xamindar wrote:Well, they are nothing like koolbear described the game a couple of months ago. I never would have thought it then but I guess he was lying.
As if we had needed more proof what a sad and pathological butt you are. Listen, why don't you slap yourself in the face two or three times real hard? Maybe you wake up from the nightmare that is your character!
Kilarin wrote:I thought Xaminder was just being sarcastic. I HOPE anyway.
You should know him better than that.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Hey, whenever. I'm assuming you will have D3-esque weapon ambient lighting, colored to the projectile, etc., right? Going by the way the whatever-those-lit-up-bars-are, it ought to look good. I just wanted to see how the different colors are rendered, saturation and whatnot.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

AverageJoe wrote:I'd like to add my insight on the screenshots.

First off, Fire whoever is doing the lighting immediatly or hire someone that knows what they are doing.
90% of the detail in anything is the lighting and how it is managed. If you do not capture the proper scene lighting you will loose your entire ambience, ruining gameplay.

My second note is that you should fire your media editor. Five screenshots of the same object at different angles is just plain dumb. You're supposed to entice the audience, not give away every damn thing. A simple rule to remember is one released screenshot per every three major objects (robots, ships, etc.) and idealy one screenshot per level.

For my third note; Game technology is completely pointless if there is no game to play. There is no point in having 10k triangle objects with 2048^2 color, normal, gloss and diffuse maps if the game isn't fun. This is what happened with Doom3. The game sucked which in turn made nobody want to play it. Be weary of the technology 'me too' dillema that is currently plagueing the industry. Once you even start to consider joining the ranks of these games the probability of the game becoming complete crap is extreamly likely. Now from what I have seen regarding these screenshots you guys are allready well into the pandora's box. I truely wish you luck. Remember that gamers don't care if the uvmaps are a little warped or there isn't any normal maps; the only thing that games care about is if it can be played for sustained periods of time.
Wow. Fire, fire and fire.

I had already noticed this in the D2X-XL forum. You popped in, made half a dozen or so demands to implement eye candy stuff in D2X-XL, and promised you would build many many great D2X-XL levels if I did.

Now you talk down to the CD team like you are Peter Molineux, John Carmack and Will Wright in one person.

Who do you think you are?

Oh, you are a professional developer. Let us see some work you've done halfway close to what you demand from others. Until then you appear like a wiseguy who has nothing really to offer but big talk and empty promises.
AverageJoe
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AverageJoe »

NDA :)

I know I'm an ass.
To witness the concept of how people defend material things fascinates me.

I'll see if I can get some stuff released to you guys. I stopped working with cartesian space programs so my mesh based models aren't miraculous.

Diedel, though my points were harsh they are still true. Just because I 'pop in' and make suggestions doesn't make them invalid.
Searching for my head in vain...
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Joe, You're criticising a sketch like its a masterpiece.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Where's that \"don't feed the trolls\" sign?
AverageJoe
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AverageJoe »

psionik: No. I can't understand why you guys think that. A game in it's Beta stage is supposed to be sellable as is but needs some polishing. If you're going to be labeling CD as Beta I will judge it accordingly.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

AverageJoe wrote:A game in it's Beta stage is supposed to be sellable as is but needs some polishing
Did they announce CD as Beta anywhere? I haven't heard that. I thought this was still a long way before beta.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Sorry Joe, I don't recall labelling it as a beta at any time, in fact I make it a point not to. Everyone else seems to understand what it is. Thanks for your input.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

AverageJoe wrote:Diedel, though my points were harsh they are still true. Just because I 'pop in' and make suggestions doesn't make them invalid.
Joe,

you may be able to deliver such high quality work. But currently you have no record for something like that here, and that can make people easily wonder whether you are up to your sometimes pretty strong words. ;)
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

I officially nominate AverageJoe to fill the position AceCombat once held.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

lol!

Isn't that a bit early?
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

LOL
AverageJoe
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AverageJoe »

*searches for \"AceCombat\"*

*shudders*

psionik: Several places on your forum board by appearently staff labled CD as Beta, this is where I assumed it to be in Beta stage as there seems to be no official standpoint.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

snoopy wrote:Where's that "don't feed the trolls" sign?
*holds it up for all to see*
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I would consider it alpha since there is unlikely to be much content yet (Beta is usually at least a partially complete game).
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

http://psion.sonicwave.biz/

Are these actual game screenshots? Looks pretty awesome to me.

I dunno what all the bitching is about, its very silly, all of us would love another 6d0f game, its all about the gameplay...who cares if the graphics arent good, d1 is still my favorite. It's all about the gameplay.

kudos guys looking forward to progress! don't let the detractors bring you down.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

AverageJoe wrote:*searches for "AceCombat"*

*shudders*

psionik: Several places on your forum board by appearently staff labled CD as Beta, this is where I assumed it to be in Beta stage as there seems to be no official standpoint.
Correction, there is no one on the board labelled as beta testers and the only mention of beta testing is the list we formed a while back for beta testing, when you sign up for an account it adds you to that list of canidates but we are not to that point yet. The only other mention of it is people that thought the Alpha Testing was the same as Beta Testing. I have made several posts correcting people on that since then.

Zach
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Can I be involved in the Gamma testing?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ooh, ooh, when does the signup for Delta testing start? I don't want to be stuck out in the cold until the Public Double-Sigma. :P
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

You guys are dorks. :)
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Now you all have to wait for Omega testing.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I have mad skilz at Pi-testing.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I like to test Apple-crisp the best :) Anyway, if this is how it looks without textures, (I think somebody said that it was only bump maps so far...) then I'll be looking foreward to playing it. I wonder if there are going to be any D3 MP levels made into CD MP levels...
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

D3 levels remade into CD...OtherOne, Hostile, Vander, come baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

Actually, I am hoping for Solrazor's/Kyuryuu's (sp?) levels. I just played a round of Sebek again (it had another name when it was first published) and still loved it after all this time. He just seems to have a knack for simple, beautiful designs.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

so, a strategy to get INSTANT content for Core Decision. Build an automatic D3 Level Converter! :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Or level builders can get started now.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I wanna be a Zeta Tester!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I wanna be a Toys \"R\" Us kid! :roll: :P
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Since I have a background in some of this stuff I can appreciate how much work you guys are putting into this. Best of luck!
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Kilarin wrote:so, a strategy to get INSTANT content for Core Decision. Build an automatic D3 Level Converter! :)
Now that would be cool. What about a demo with one of the d3 levels when the game gets closer to coming out? That might not show off what the engine could do though, so maybe two levels, a d3 one and a CD one?
Why doesn't it work?
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

We can't do anything with the Descent levels. Users are welcome to do anything they want but due to the sensitive nature of our product and the close similarities it has to the game Descent we feel that it would be stepping across a boundary that we cannot afford to cross.

Sincerely,
Zach Briggs
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

ZBriggs wrote:due to the sensitive nature of our product and the close similarities it has to the game Descent we feel that it would be stepping across a boundary that we cannot afford to cross.
Ah, that makes sense. Too bad, but I understand.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Kilarin wrote:so, a strategy to get INSTANT content for Core Decision. Build an automatic D3 Level Converter! :)

That already exists to some degree, there are a couple programs that can convert a descent 1,2, or 3 level into 3d formats which you can then work on and texture in your favorite 3d app. When finished, export to . OBJ or .X and your shell is done. A full-on one click converter does not exist.

On the other hand I DO plan to get some multiplayer layouts from a couple well known level designers so hopefully it will feel so good you won't really even want to convert anything. I'm really all about new, awesome, original content that still feels like home.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

psionik wrote: On the other hand I DO plan to get some multiplayer layouts from a couple well known level designers so hopefully it will feel so good you won't really even want to convert anything. I'm really all about new, awesome, original content that still feels like home.
Aww please do the D1 Chaos levels if that ever comes to be. At least the first three. I love the volcano! :D
Why doesn't it work?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

zbriggs wrote:We can't do anything with the Descent levels. Users are welcome to do anything they want but due to the sensitive nature of our product and the close similarities it has to the game Descent we feel that it would be stepping across a boundary that we cannot afford to cross.

Sincerely,
Zach Briggs
That's okay, either be or BlackHole will record a video in a converted d3 level in CD, so don't worry about it ;)
Now if I could only figure out how to get Fraps working...