Hibernate, what's the down side?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Especially if I shut it down completely from time to time.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

The down side? It won't come out of hibernation.

Why hibernate in the first place. The monitor powers off, the HD spins down, the processor underclocks iteself..these are more stable than the OS doing..anything..
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Actually hibernate is shut all the way down, the computer completely turns itself off as if you shut down. The only difference is the computer will resume your desktop exactly as you left it when you went into hibernate.

I only use it when I am busy doing something and the power goes out, I hibernate instead of shutting down so I don't have to find everything I was working on once the power comes back. Course that is obviously useless to anyone who doesnt have battery backups.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

As of two years ago, I always hibernate, because it boots much faster. I was pushing 280 days without a reboot until we had a power cut, so I had to reboot. I have grown used to the fact I can leave programs and things open, hibernate, and find everything back as I left it the next day.

I see no performance issues doing this. This is Win2kSP4 by the way.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Heh.

But, if you run an AMD low-power CPU then you never need to turn the thing off, because you're already saving all the power a P4 would chew up, even with it turned off for 18 hours a day. :)
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Downside is you can't recieve instant messages or run downloads while you're away.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

The downside is it's one more thing that can go wrong and you have a several hundred megabyte or more hibernation file taking up space on your hard drive. Maybe that's not a big deal for you, whatever.
si vis pacem, para bellum
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Hibernation file is always the same size as the system RAM, so 1 GB of RAM = 1 GB hibernation file. It is an image of the system memory written directly to the hard drive.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Thanks for the input.