Another HTPC thread.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Another HTPC thread.

Post by Krom »

My brother wishes to build a Home Theater PC mostly for playing back DVDs without having to switch disks anymore.

So I need some ideas for a PSU, motherboard, CPU, video card, remote control, and a good HTPC case. His TV has a DVI in, so a card with DVI and full HDMI support optional should he end up getting a more recent TV that supports it would be nice. He also wants quality sound out of it, so either the motherboard has to have a good HD sound codec, or suggestions on an add in card that can pull it off. It does not need to function as a PVR since he already has a DirectTV PVR box.

He is planning on accessing a 4x500 GB RAID for mass storage via wireless LAN (54 Mbit) so he will also need a wireless LAN card.

I don't know what the budget is, but as long as it can play back DVDs and any kind of video encode that should be around within the next few years he will be happy. Extreme power and overclocking are not the goal, silence and compatability are. If most or all of the CPU/Video card/PSU/200 GB internal HDD can run on passive cooling or very low RPM fans that would be a real plus.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »