FireFox 2 !!!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

FireFox 2 !!!

Post by Duper »

OMGWTFBBQOKBYE

ok.. maybe not That neeto, but pretty darn close!

;)

(wow.. only 5.6 megs!)

*eggnog!*

Ok.. I'm a couple days late. :roll:
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

The spell check function is very nice. Mobius will be a LITTLE bit happier. :)

I like the way it restores open tabs on a restart.

AND, I can dump my \"search engine hack\" extension because they finally built in a way to delete search engines you don't want.

Probably more of a 1.8 than a 2.0, but still, very nice overall.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Yup, just waiting for theme updates now. I like the new default theme. Nice and clean.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Duper wrote:just waiting for theme updates now
I use skypilot, which has already been updated for 2.0.

Question though, why does Firefox not auto-update to 2.0? despite running the auto-update function several times, it always said that there were no updates available and I had to go and download 2.0 by hand.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I use iFox Smooth. round stuff is appealing to me these days. ;)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Kilarin wrote:
Duper wrote:just waiting for theme updates now
I use skypilot, which has already been updated for 2.0.

Question though, why does Firefox not auto-update to 2.0? despite running the auto-update function several times, it always said that there were no updates available and I had to go and download 2.0 by hand.
Probably autoupdate does not do major versions, only minor ones.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

They're going to roll out Firefox 2 as an optional autoupdate in the coming week to spread out the load on their servers.
Wareagle
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wareagle »

Firefox rocks imo
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Well whoopty doo, Firefox rolls along with a new version number. AND THEY STILL HAVE NOT FIXED THE MEMORY LEAKS!!! SINCE BETA! :?

http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/10/28/2115202.shtml

Was this supposed to be the killer browser or something? At this rate by the next release it would be better to go back to IE or Opera. New theme isnt that good, they put an x on every tab unlike before causing more clutter and navigational nonsense, and the options menu is wildly illogical and lacks quite a few... options, say switch the x on the tabs to the old style. I shouldn't have to do \"research\" on the internet to customize my browser to be the way I want it to.

Very dissapointing release on the count that they STILL have not fixed the memory leaks since beta. Ill see to it that I will be ditching it soon. Mobius your precious browser stinks!
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

A couple of things bother me about 2.0 also.
  1. Have to go into about:config just to disable the automatic backing up of bookmarks and displaying of favicons for bookmark links. Favicons, btw, bloat the size of the bookmarks.html because their data are put in it.
  2. No option to set what protocols / files are to be associated with the program. Mozilla and SeaMonkey have this under Advanced settings.
  3. This one hurts: no option to have a removed cookie automatically dumped into the blocked cookies category. Mozilla and SeaMonkey have this.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I grabbed FF 2.0 when it rolled out... and I agree with both sides.
  • The memory leaks suck, the changed theme isn't anything special, and I get increased incompatability
  • Overall, performance seems faster and there are some improvements.
Personally, I think it's really just a \"1.6\" version with some \"problems\".

1.5 was good and now I'm wishing I still had that on 2 of my systems... but I'm waiting out the fixes. Gee, this is kind of similar to MS product releases... buggy and so you wait for the post release \"updates\" that are really patches.

I also installed IE7 on the same two systems and couldn't miss all the similarities to FF... with a MS flair to them. The FF interface is way better than the restrictive IE7 interface. IMHO.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Kilarin wrote:The spell check function is very nice. Mobius will be a LITTLE bit happier. :)
I'll be happy when FF2 is stable, and safe to install. I can't lose any of my 30 or so extensions.