Gears of War

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Gears of War

Post by Gooberman »

I hate to be a victim of advertising, but I was on the fence for this game before this commercial.

Anyone else planning on picking it up and have a live account?
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

Okay, thats it. I'm getting an xbox.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It's one of the best ads for a video game I've ever seen because it is so understated. Soft, contemplative music creates a haunting atmosphere.

I had my doubts about Gears of War, but the more I see of it, the more I think Epic has actually pulled it off.

I won't be getting it right away because of Guitar Hero 2 and Okami, but it is on the short list.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Looks awesome!

I watched the E3 Demo too. :shock:

Now if only they would port this to PC!
I would so get this in a heart beat. :twisted:
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I don't think Epic has commented on a PC version one way or the other, but it is running on UnrealEngine 3, so the potential is certainly there. Their main focus at this point is Unreal Tournament 2007, which will force them to look at PC and PS3 support. I wouldn't expect Gears of War appearing on either platform until that time since it is optimized around the Xbox 360.

I'm not sure just how well it would play on a standard keyboard-mouse setup, however. While it is seems like a third-person shooter, it straddles the line between first and third person.

I love their rain effects. Reminds me of the torrential downpours in The Matrix or Blade Runner. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

in the E3 demo it shows how central \"taking cover\" is to the gameplay. I really liked that, puts a big wad of strategy into an otherwise stagnant-gameplay genre (1st/3rd person shooter). enough that even i'm interested :)
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

Kyouryuu wrote:it is running on UnrealEngine 3
unreal 2k7 is gonna rock. I'm tellin you.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Don't count on this game coming out for the PC.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Kyouryuu wrote:I'm not sure just how well it would play on a standard keyboard-mouse setup, however. While it is seems like a third-person shooter, it straddles the line between first and third person.
Ever play Splinter Cell or Metal Gear 2 on the PC?

They are 1st / 3rd person games that have been ported from the XBOX.

I went from playing those games on the XBOX to the PC.
It wasn't to hard to setup (mouse & Keyboard wise). ;)

Besides, there is alot more keys on a keyboard then whats on an XBOX 360 controller. :P
TigerRaptorFX wrote:Don't count on this game coming out for the PC.
Why?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

The original XBox was based on an Intel Pentium3 chip... the 360, PS3, Wii, and others are all based on the PowerPC chip (which, interestingly enough, isn't being used anymore by the company that made them mainstream... Apple)

So saying just because they ported an Xbox game doesn't mean it's just as easy to port a 360 game. Totally different architectures now, plus more dedicated hardware in the 360.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Yes, PowerPC is based on the RISC processor and Intel chips are based on the CISC processor.

Programming are different for each one.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

But UnrealEngine 3 is completely cross-platform. It works on the X360, PC, and PS3. The PS3 end is not completely mature yet, but Epic is using UT2K7 as the driving force to get those together.

There's little reason why Gears of War wouldn't technically work on the PC. The real question is whether or not there is a market for it.

UT2K7, I think will be a fun game. But, at the same time, it's more of the same. Half-Life 2, with its physics implementation, has effectively moved the bar for straight deathmatch over here (gestures). UT2K7, thus far, just looks like UT2004. Which wasn't tremendously different from 2003. Which wasn't any better than 99.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I take it this is dirrected at me?
So saying just because they ported an Xbox game doesn't mean it's just as easy to port a 360 game. Totally different architectures now, plus more dedicated hardware in the 360.
Where did I say it is, or would be easy to port to PC?
Ummmm, I know better then to say something like that. :P

Anyways.
I was only using 2 of the XBOX games as an example when it came to mouse and keyboard setups. ;)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

FunkyStickman wrote:So saying just because they ported an Xbox game doesn't mean it's just as easy to port a 360 game. Totally different architectures now, plus more dedicated hardware in the 360.

*Cough* Splinter Cell: Double Agent *Cough*
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I'm not completely sold on the 3rd person view. It makes me shift my aim..my centerpoint becomes the point between two lines where one line is the right side of the monitor, and the left line is the soldier. Being able to see clearly while supposedly ducking kinda sours it too. Dunno..I'd have to play it to see.

I really like how the soldier changes weapons and reloads. You can only hold what, 4 weaps+grenades? Quick release backstraps for the weapons is great. I was never a fan of UT's ability to hold 10 weapons per person, and the weapons were almost as big as the person.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Testiculese wrote:I was never a fan of UT's ability to hold 10 weapons per person, and the weapons were almost as big as the person.
What like a Pyro carrying missiles bigger than it was made any sense. ;)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Testiculese wrote:I was never a fan of UT's ability to hold 10 weapons per person, and the weapons were almost as big as the person.
haha, yeah the only way to move would be if all the weapons were stuck to a Katamari.

laaaalalalalalala Unreal Tournament Damacy
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

You should know by now that every FPS character with an implausible amount of large weapons stores them in a Poke-Ball for easy dispersal.

\"Flak Cannon, I choose you!\"
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I broke down and picked it up. It really does live up to the hype. Only down side is it can be beaten in about 6-7 hours on easy...However the same cannot be said for the other difficulties (I havn't played it much on Medium, but my friends tell me it takes around 20-30 hours). Multiplayer is pretty good as well. Graphics are a 10.

I'd give it 9/10 total.

Its a must-have for anyone with a 360.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

/me waits...
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

A bit of a necropost, but I just came across this entry which has a bunch of remixes of the trailer.

http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/in ... ad-spoofs/

Some are pretty good, others look like they just slapped a different track on, but the Ghostbusters one at the end is definitely the best.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I'm still waiting...
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Waiting for what?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender