Definitely NOT getting MS Vista

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

DirectX10 is exclusive to Windows Vista and is not slated to be supported by any other platform. This will ensure that the next-gen games will be available on Windows Vista before any other platform.

wait.. this is a good thing? You could also put an \"only\" between available and Windows in that sentence.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

There is no technical reason for having DirectX 10 available only on Vista. It's just marketing to give people some reason to upgrade their OS.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Repo Man wrote:There is no technical reason for having DirectX 10 available only on Vista. It's just marketing to give people some reason to upgrade their OS.
DirectX 10 is a fresh start with DirectX. When a game is coded for DX10 it is not backwards compatable with the older DX's, which is a good thing because there are some old as ★■◆● function calls in DX, its been around a long time. I believe making it Vista only was for this reason.

Of course $$$ and marketing had something to do with it as well, I'm sure. ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Duper wrote:
DirectX10 is exclusive to Windows Vista and is not slated to be supported by any other platform. This will ensure that the next-gen games will be available on Windows Vista before any other platform.
I just realized something. This statement is WAY off base as most games that MS will be putting out will be on Xbox first.. not Vista or any other PC "platform". Sure, there are some games, but the bulk are sighted for consoles.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I would purchase WinXP pro. It seems to have some better i/o management than home (my pro machine is way faster in i/o than my home machine with comparable hardware), and it will get four years of support from the time Vista is being sold. It costs a fraction of the useful Vista flavors and I consider XP a very good OS.
Moon
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Moon »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:What this all really comes down to in the end for me is this:
Nice speech you got there, however you WILL go where Microsoft tells you to. Their dominance leaves little room for choice and I doubt any of those hardcore gamers will be able to resist the new games coming out on Vista only.
Moon's Descendarium - THE single-player guide to Descent 1-3

Maintainer of The 'official' Descent 3 FAQ

Coming soon to a domain near you
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Moon wrote:
[]V[]essenjah wrote:What this all really comes down to in the end for me is this:
Nice speech you got there, however you WILL go where Microsoft tells you to. Their dominance leaves little room for choice and I doubt any of those hardcore gamers will be able to resist the new games coming out on Vista only.
If you mean YOU as in "all of you", then you are wrong. I am one individual who will do without a game, rather than put up with an obnoxious EULA.

Oh and uh Im wonder how long it will take for http://www.winehq.org/ to add DX10 support. Dont they already have DX8 and DX9? :twisted:
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Wine is not a emulator.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Moon wrote:Nice speech you got there, however you WILL go where Microsoft tells you to. Their dominance leaves little room for choice and I doubt any of those hardcore gamers will be able to resist the new games coming out on Vista only.
I would even go so far as to say that those who do resist are probably not hardcore gamers.

(Before I wrote this I thought "Well, I can resist" ... and realized that I am not as much into gaming any more as I once was ... my wife has stopped calling me a student for my wake/sleep cycle for quite a while :mrgreen: )

On the other side there are some very promising MP games in the pipe (ET:Quake Wars anybody? This looks hot, man! I doubt I can get around buying and playing this game ... I believe it will be better than this BF2 mod calling itself a new game (BF2142), pah).
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Quake Wars uses OpenGL, which means that it'll actually work on operation systems other than vista. :le gasp: In fact, other than just XP and the like, in typical id Software tradition, there'll be a native linux version as well.

Speaking of which, the other day I read this:
http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html
That Page wrote:As already stated above, Microsoft® will be removing DirectSound 3D Hardware support from Direct X with the launch of Windows Vista. DirectSound and DirectSound3D will still function; however, they will no longer use hardware acceleration."
Of course, games that use OpenAL are unaffected, which helps to explain why Creative has been plugging it so much.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Nosferatu, I'm with you there.

Deidel, after watching you struggle with your new Suse 10.1 x86_64 install, I'm pretty disappointed with Suse. But you're on the right track. I'll be the first to say \"don't use Linux\" if it's not going to meet your needs. It's just a tool, after all. I never was what you'd call an \"Avid\" gamer. So I switched because:

1. I had already spent about 3 years \"messing\" with it, and was familiar enough to use it daily
2. I found a handful of games that ran great on it, which is enough for as often as I get to play them (D3 being the best! Of course)
3. Linux came with apps to do everything I really needed to do. Supported my hardware, HTML, graphics, surfing, audio work, media management, Office, etc.
4. I was willing to do without the (few) things that I couldn't have, in order to not worry about viruses, etc. In return, I've had a wonderful experience with it.

Geez, what is it about Linux that gets me talking?

Anyway, the bottom line is, I have much respect for anybody who looks at an OS choice objectively, and makes a decision based on what they actually need, not just \"Windows/Linux/OSX sucks, I won't use it.\" Deidel, I seriously hope you get the bugs worked out with your Linux install. I think you'll learn a lot from the experience (once you get a distro working right). I don't know of too many people who've had the problems you've had. Like with cars, every now and then even good cars make a lemon.

And for the record, I just finished building a Win98 machine just for playing older games (specifically ones that have a hard time with WinXP). Rocket Jockey, Rally Championship, the Mech4 series, and a pile of emulators and older games for the kids. For a game computer, it fits my needs. Will I put it on the network? Hell no. :)
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Diedel wrote:
Moon wrote:Nice speech you got there, however you WILL go where Microsoft tells you to. Their dominance leaves little room for choice and I doubt any of those hardcore gamers will be able to resist the new games coming out on Vista only.
I would even go so far as to say that those who do resist are probably not hardcore gamers.

(Before I wrote this I thought "Well, I can resist" ... and realized that I am not as much into gaming any more as I once was ... my wife has stopped calling me a student for my wake/sleep cycle for quite a while :mrgreen: )

On the other side there are some very promising MP games in the pipe (ET:Quake Wars anybody? This looks hot, man! I doubt I can get around buying and playing this game ... I believe it will be better than this BF2 mod calling itself a new game (BF2142), pah).

The hell they will. There are still consoles and most games come out for consoles before PC's these days anyway. Not to mention that there is a severe lack of PC games that have even remotely interested me within the past couple of years. Some of us are not only hardcore gamers but we are also intelligent gamers.

For instance, I play games waaaay too much, but I play games like, Descent 1,2,3, Dues Ex, KOTOR 1,2, Morrowind, and Oblivion. The only recent game in that list is Oblivion. No current or upcoming games interest me. Well, UT2007 does but that isn't because of the actual game, it is because of the modding capabilities. I am three things, a 3D artist by hobby, a tech by job, and a hardcore gamer by addiction. ;) However, I'm not dumb enough to fall for this. I'm sure Linux would eventually have an alternative anyway. I would also rather learn Linux than put up with this utter crap.

BTW: Quake Wars doesn't really interest me at all. I'm a Descent 3 player, I remember when Quake was a swear word on this board. I still hold to it being Quack. ;)