Tablet PCs

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Tablet PCs

Post by roid »

[dyk]\"Wow\", said Zaphod Beeblebrox to the Heart of Gold. There wasn't much else he could say.

He said it again because he knew it would annoy the press.

\"Wow.\"

The crowd turned their faces back towards him expectantly. He winked at Trillian who raised her eyebrows and widened her eyes at him. She knew what he was about to say and thought him a terrible showoff.

\"That is really amazing,\" he said. \"That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it.\" [/dyk]

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=tecra%20M7

Nvidia 3D card, 1gig ram, 2ghz dualcore cpu, 1440x900 of \"the normal integrated pen screen thingy on all tablet pcs\" AND a touchscreen.

excfited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited excited bananas4all

JUST HOW TOTALLY BITCHIN' ARE TABLET PCS
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

They are pretty flippin' sweet.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

everyone needs to get one. awesomeness 4 all
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

I would elect to go with a lower powered, and lower performance CPU. Battery life in a tablet is critical.

The handwriting recognition of Windows Tablet Edition is simply stunning. I tried to break it with my worst chicken scratch, intermingling caps with lower case... and you know what? I could not get it to misinterpret my handwriting/printing. Amazing.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Ditto what Mobius said.
I've got a Fujitsu T4020, use it every day for hours on end to run my business and battery life is the most important thing for me, I wish I'd elected to order the slower processor just to squeeze a little more battery time out of it.
I have the removable DVD drive which is always out and a spare battery lives in it's place, I get around 6 or 7 hours on a full charge, longer if I don't wake it up often.
After battery life would be weight, processing power and video processing power rank low on the actual everyday usage scale for me.
And yes, the handwriting recognition is amazing.
Try Microsofts OneNote for a great, handwriting friendly, database.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Tablet? Thought it was smaller than \"notebook\". The notebook I plan on getting (ASUS A8JS-4S013P) will be my next system (hope Core Decision runs well on it) and that's smaller than what Roid wants. I wanted something that would be as good as a new PC from scratch for games, hence the processing power I picked it for.
13.70-inches x 10.20-inches x 1.20/1.57-inches - Tecra M7-S7331
13.19-inches x 09.65-inches x 1.37/1.46-inches - Asus A8JS
These things sure do pack a lot of processing power for such a tiny freakin' size.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Yeah this tablet PC is to be a desktop replacement, so it needs enough power to do everything i'd normally do on my desktop, thus the 3d card. I'm not a big gamer anymore but that's partly because my current desktop isn't that great, but i do use Google Earth a lot so i'd like that to be smooth.
and Google Earth on a Tablet is gonna be sweet :P.

So, i envision most of the time it will be plugged in. Just being unplugged for flights of fancy when i feel like walking around the block while reading the DBB *shrug*.

So i'm essentially throwing away the whole desktop idiom altogether. My desktop will now be in my hands, wherever. I see it as a next step beyond a laptop :)

they say that Tablet PCs change your habits, have you found that Will? ie: you get so used to doodling diagrams etc on the screen, and find it hard to make do without that.

(personally i'm hoping it will make digital art easier)
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Skyalmian wrote:Tablet? Thought it was smaller than "notebook". The notebook I plan on getting (ASUS A8JS-4S013P) will be my next system (hope Core Decision runs well on it) and that's smaller than what Roid wants. I wanted something that would be as good as a new PC from scratch for games, hence the processing power I picked it for.
13.70-inches x 10.20-inches x 1.20/1.57-inches - Tecra M7-S7331
13.19-inches x 09.65-inches x 1.37/1.46-inches - Asus A8JS
These things sure do pack a lot of processing power for such a tiny freakin' size.
What are the specs?

Processor: Be extact, I need speed, brand, and Bus
Memory: Speed, Dual or Single Channel, Bus
Video Card: Brand, Series, RAM, and Bus
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

zbriggs wrote:What are the specs?

Processor: Be extact, I need speed, brand, and Bus
Memory: Speed, Dual or Single Channel, Bus
Video Card: Brand, Series, RAM, and Bus
ASUS A8JS-4S013P

It doesn't matter to me if the game runs at 20 fps. Framerate stability does.

That notebook, priced as it is, is way above my budget and I won't be able to afford it for a long while. I say this so you won't make any suggestions for something that costs more.

And I might put Linux on it, which a reviewer says supports almost everything on it. Depends on if Microsoft decides to suddenly stop supporting XP sometime after their disastrous Vista is released.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Looks good. If you experience problems with load times or swaping I would seriously consider investing in a 7200 RPM hard drive.

The only other concern I would have would be the LCD speed but given the standard that shouldn't be a problem. Looks like a good choice to me.

Zach
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

well i just got it. Yaey! yikes this is weird, i'm \"writing\" this on the screen.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

You will learn to like it as time goes on. It will feel strange for the first few weeks.

Zach