The Chinese - gotta love 'em!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

The Chinese - gotta love 'em!

Post by Mobius »

OK, so you know that every country in the world has a stereotype. The Chinese are inscrutable. The Australians are convicts. The Irish are green, and stupid. The Brits are uptight. New Zealanders are bucolic... And Americans are idiots... JFK JFK!

Actually, funny you bring the USA up, because a good buddy of mine just got back from the US. I asked him what he got me for Christmas. He replied that he thought long and hard about it, and he wanted to get me something uniquely \"American\", but he ended up getting me nothing. I asked him why. He said he didn't think he'd be able to slip through customs with a kilo of coke, or a hand gun.

Anyway...

You have this idea about how people will react to things, and I suppose we all have images of people helping stranded whales around the world, but sometimes things happen which change your perception, and give you a chuckle at the same time. I'm talking about the chinese saving two dolphins - as in the story found here: http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,11965-6704463,00.html

(Of course, if you follow the news too, you'll recall that there was a species of near-blind, long nosed, river dolphins in China which they've just announced have gone extinct.)

So, this story cracks me up. The inscrutable Chinese are brilliant: \"Surgery fails because plastic is hard to grip with surgical implements. OK what now? Hey, there's the tallest man in the world just down the road - why don't we get him to stick that looooooong arm of his down the dolphin's throat, and HE can pull the plastic out? That's gotta be worth 90 seconds on CNN!\"

To me this is wonderfully pragmatic. I surmise that a similar problem in the USA would be solved by building a gut-walking robot in 2 days, which would be able to crawl inside and grab the plastic bits using wireless technology, computers, fibre optic lights and video cameras at a cost of $1,500,000.

This leads me to my stereotyping of the three countries I have lived in:

\"In Japan, if there's a problem, throw more people at it.
In the USA, if there's a problem, throw more money at it.
In New Zealand, if there's a problem, don't worry about it. It'll probably go away.\"
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

You're a sad little man.

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

While I'm not sure about your Japan/People analogy, it does work for China.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

In Japan, if there's a problem, just ignore it! (See: The bullying-suicide debate.)
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

In Ireland, if there's a problem, it only means you need to work out more.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

if Soviet Russia has a problem it forgets about YOU.
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

TIGERassault wrote:In Ireland, if there's a problem, it only means you need to work out more.
No no, in Ireland, if there's a problem, it means you should drink more until you forget about it. :P
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

In New Zealand, if there's a problem, don't worry about it. It'll probably go away.\"
Yet, despite not worrying about it for quite some time now, you're still around.

:)
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I thought if the Irish had a problem, they got drunk and fought about it?
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

No, no, that's a common misinterpretation. Only the boozeyards drnk to get rid of their problems, the Irish drink just for the sake of drinking.
Well hey, surely you don't expect us to be drinking much water. Nah, only regular humies drink that. We're the Irish; we only drink the great stuff!