Working Draft for new mini-HUD view...

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Working Draft for new mini-HUD view...

Post by Tyranny »

Got bored and decided to start making a Hi-Res version of the D2 mini-HUD. It's in fairly early stages, sort of. Still want to add a few bells and whistles to it, not to mention making compatible key images to go with it.

I tried staying true to the scheme (colors, look, etc) but it just needed to blend better with the upcoming releases of the Hi-Res texture sets.

Also thought I'd take a crack at re-mastering the large HUD and Rear view modes later down the line. If anyone is interested in seeing this completed and implimented, nows the time to say so :P

Files will be .tga format 32bit and extractable to the textures folder that now comes with D2X-XL.

=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

I am working on 3d version of the main cockpit and rear view. It would actually be all one model and I'm sure diedel would be able to implement showing the hud model fairly easily. The upside is that it would show shadows.

However, that image looks really good, and I won't touch the mini-hud view.

\"...the upcoming release of the Hi-Res suite.\"
What is this you speak of? I didnt know there was any high-res suite coming out...
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Cool... that may just make it worth it to use that view :D I may have missed this, but are you planning on using hi-res pictures for the weapons?
And could you enlarge the text for the weapon selection windows..?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Well, someone other then you has been working on Hi-Res textures. I guess it really doesn't matter as people could use whichever one they prefered.

Poor choice of words, sorry.

Jake, I'd imagine most every graphical aspect of D2 is on it's way to being redone. If Tempest is working on the Full HUD and Rear view modes that might allow me to take a crack at the static weapon images.

I'm not a 3D graphical artist though, so if somebody plans on doing those too, let me know and I'll bow out.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

Tyranny,
I can't do 2d art. At all. Maybe we can collaborate to bring the best of everything to descent?

If you can texture already made models, I could send you my WIP models and accesories and cockpit (I kinda like it in 3d...) If you can make them turn out anything like your little mini-hud, D2X-XL will have the best looking models ever. If you can't, though, thats fine too, because we still need:
-Finished walls
-Upgraded robot textures (thats a big one)
-HUD stuff

IF Diedel decides to go with my 3d cockpit (again, its currently under construction...but I like where it's going) we may be able to have dynamic texture scaling on the panels, maybe even color changing, and crazy stuff like that.

Tyranny, I'd look forward to being able to work together to do something that I don't think has ever been done for descent: a highres, 3d cockpit.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Tyr,

way too cool! :)

And what level is that?

Tempest,

the 3D HUD would not show shadows. I can shadow objects selectively.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

The level is \"Goddess\" which I made years ago.

http://missions.dyndns.org/dmdnav.html - Should be in the missions vault.

Pretty generic, as were all my levels :P
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

I know you can shadow objects selectivley, and I think it'd be cool to have the cockpit shadowed dynamically. After all, Shouldn't the cockpit get dark in a dark room and lit up in a light room? Obviously this would be optional...
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Progress Report...

=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

awesome.
freaking. awesome.

I think, however, the shield tube things would look better blue, not purple, to fit the shield. Again, just personal opinion.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Yeah, I had second thoughts about the purple shortly after posting that. Changed the shield tubing to blue as well as the shield console indicator arrows to blue.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

It's nice and all, but I'm beginning to think that Dizzy could make one far better then mine. One that matches the \"feel\" of what hes adding to the game so far.

In comparison to the game it kind of feels out of place. Not that I don't think it's any good, but I'd like to see what Dizzy could come up with too.

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Don't make your work worse than it is: It is very good. I like it, looks cool. As soon as it is done and I have it, I will make sure D2X-XL will load and display it.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Nice Tyranny!
I like it. :)

Here is my custom HUD from 1998.

Very plain, I know! :lol:
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Man D2XL is looking/gonna look so kickarse :)
I dont use mini hud but nice work 8)
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

I don't really like the tubes, personally. You'd think that such hi-tech hardware would be very able to conceal such things.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Which is why artists think outside the box. Yes, by all realistic accounts, all internal mechanisms would be hidden behind the dash. What you're left with is a very flat, and very boring console.

If thats what Parallax intended, thats fine. When I modified the Key, Energy/AB, Shield & Lives/Score displays with more enhanced borders then just the origional bevel, it still looked boring. So I thought about maybe adding circuitry, nah, tubes? maybe. It looked alright to me.

There are limitations to what I could add in there because you're restricted to the viewing area D2 is allowed to render. In all honesty it should look more like the full HUD, just in a smaller, less spread out form.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Tyr,

it looks great. I like it, particularly all the extra stuff, protruding frames, tubes. Gimme. I will make sure it works with D2X-XL and put it up on my D/L section. :D