KVM switch or something else?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

KVM switch or something else?

Post by Foil »

I'm looking for suggestions here:

Due to space restrictions, I'm using only a single monitor and keyboard to run all my machines:
1. My primary home/gaming rig (the monitor and keyboard are plugged into this one)
2. An old 900Mhz PIII I use for hosting D3 games
3. An old 533Mhz I use for miscellaneous things like file hosting, etc.

Currently, I'm just using VNC (through a router, different ports forwarded to each machine) to remote into #2 and #3, but it's really a pain at times, as I have to launch VNC (which often means jumping out of whatever game or program I'm in) if I need to change something on them.

I've thought about a KVM switch, but all the ones I've found at local computer stores are just built for two machines. I've found other good ones online, but they're usually built for 8 or 10 machines, and are a lot more expen$ive. Also, there's the question of what kind of interface they use - all three machines have the PS2-style keyboard jack, but they vary between USB and PS2 for mouse input.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

they do have KVM switches for more that 2 computers, you just need to hit an enthusiast computer store.

those are not cheap, tho.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You shouldn't need to forward any ports for VNC to access the computers inside the LAN if they are all connected to the same router and can share files.

There are plenty of 4 port KVM switches out there, no need to get a 12 or 16 port one. Newegg has a decent selection.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Krom wrote:You shouldn't need to forward any ports for VNC to access the computers inside the LAN if they are all connected to the same router and can share files.
Right. I had the ports forwarded for when I remote in from outside (at work, etc.) *thinks about it for a second* Hmm, maybe I didn't need to forward the ports anyway... oh, well.
Krom wrote:There are plenty of 4 port KVM switches out there, no need to get a 12 or 16 port one. Newegg has a decent selection.
Thanks! Most of those are still a bit more than I wanted to spend, but definitely some possibilities.

[Edit:] One quick question: Has anyone had any video or input issues with gaming through a KVM switch?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I use VNC w/ my server at home but its video out is also connected to channel 2 on my monitor. Also got a cheap mouse/kb connected to it..
ImageImage
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I use a switch similar to this one. It's cheap, 4-ports, and works fairly well. Downsides are that it is purely mechanical, so you have to have it switched to a machine if it's booting, or the PC will usually stop on a \"no keyboard/mouse\" error. Second, if you have long cables and run high resolutions (anything bigger than 1024x768) then you usually get some ghosting on the monitor. Third, you'll occasionally get a computer that won't recognize the inputs if you switch it too fast, but just flipping it away and back again (slowly) usually works. Fourth, some older distros of Linux don't like it, but you can make it work by switching terminals back and forth (Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then back to Ctrl-AltF7).

However, it does work, and I haven't found a computer yet it doesn't work on. You can even use a cheap PS/2 to USB adapter for those rare machines that don't have legacy ports. It doesn't take up an extra power plug, either.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

In looking through the reviews on a number of different models, it seems like \"ghosting\" when running at resolutions over 1024x768 is a pretty common problem. Is this an issue because of the switch hardware, or cheap/unshielded cables?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Mechanical switches will cause that, the contacts are reflexion points for HF signals. Good gold-point contacts will minimize it.
ImageImage
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i have This one for my FTP Server and when i work on PC's i dont have to shut down the server for its monitor. i just hit the #2 button. they sell 4 port switches like this aswell.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I have no problems with KVM's. I've been using them for a dozen years. I usually have D3 @ 1024x anyway, so I never noticed any ghosting.

Someone did mention that sometimes computers go screwy when changing channels. It happens occasionally and has only been my mouse. Occasionally I would have to move the mouse while changing channels so it would work on the next machine.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Sometimes depending on the KVM, you may not get all the features of your mouse. My Logitech MX1000 wasn't able to work fully using the Linksys 2 port KVM. I couldn't access the properties to configure the mouse buttons.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I've been using a Belkin 2 port KVM since around the middle of last year. No problems with KB, mouse or monitor issues.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I have almost the same problem Merlin. I have a Logitech through a KVM as well. When I first boot up my main machine, all is well. Of course, when I switch to the other machine then back again, the mouse has lost all its fancier features and the only way to get them back is to reboot. Logitech of course says they do not support their mice hooked through a KVM.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I've had good experience with Belkin products and service, so I'm looking at this one.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I bought my Belkin 2-port KVM a number of years back, and I've never been sorry. I consider it one of the best computer-related investments I've ever made. The short-cut/hot key aspect is very useful--I just hit \"Scroll Lock\" twice, then use the up and down arrows to switch between machines before the hot key mode times out. I bought it a while before making the switch to an LCD, and I never noticed any ghosting at all (played quite a few different FPSs). A KVM with audio switching tends to run a bit more, but since I don't have a sound card on my second machine this one is perfect.

P.S. - Since making the switch to an LCD (19\" 8ms Samsung), I have run all of my games at 1280x1024 and still experience no significant ghosting.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Thank you very much, all! Looks like I now know what I'm gonna use my Christmas cash for! ;)