Bullseye instead of keyboard

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Bullseye instead of keyboard

Post by whuppinboy »

who's got it? since i got this new comp i didn't xfr over all my files and lost it.

a linky would be much appreciated!
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Santrix »

I don't understand what it is being looked for...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

In D3, when people type, a keyboard pops up over their ship to inform you that they're typing and therefore not shooting at you.

Some people like to replace it with a target -- essentially, to say "if you're typing, you're not safe."

By the way, guys, how do I use the BP cow skin? (the target had instructions... the BP skin didn't.)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Extract the cow skin files into the D3 root dir.

Personally, I liked my keyboard icon that was 100% alpha, in other words it was <absolutely nothing>, gotta find that one again. :P
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

http://vander.hashish.com/typing1(notype).ogf

stick that into your \descent3 directory.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

[Grendel] wrote:click
Hay! Someone still remembers my website! :D
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Personally, I think the community has degraded itself a few notches by typekilling. Back in the day it was rude and unacceptable to prettymuch everyone. And we always prided ourselves on that and a few other things that made us better as a whole than say, the quake community at the time. Thats *why* the keyboard icon was in D3 in the first place! Now, only a select few diehard polite people with some semblance of sportsmanship left in them refuse to typekill, and I believe the community has lost a valuable part of itself in the process.

Now, I'm not whining, just making an observation, and thats my opinion on the matter.
xceptional1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by xceptional1 »

Capm wrote:.... a select few diehard polite people with some semblance of sportsmanship left in them refuse to typekill, and I believe the community has lost a valuable part of itself in the process...
that's quite possibly the gayest thing I've ever read on the dbb.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I rest my case.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

It's a game. We play it as we will. In my case, I couldn't care less if a player is typing--with the only exception being the game being a 1 on 1. Thanks to my little graphic, I haven't seen the typing icon in well over two years.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Capm wrote:that made us better as a whole than say, the quake community at the time.
The Quake community knows that it's a game, not IRC. If you need to say something you do it when you're dead, or just learn to type really fast so it doesn't matter. ;)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Back in the day it was rude and unacceptable to prettymuch everyone.
In your little neck of the woods, maybe... but in most games on Kali, you were fair game when typing unless:
1) it was a 1v1 or other competitive match (ladder, clan war, etc.) and you actually called "time"
2) you went and hid in the most remote part of the level possible
If you weren't in one of those two situations, if you typed, you were just an easy to hit target for a second.

The KB icon was added because a few people -- like you -- thought typekilling was bad. There was never a "typekilling is bad" consensus, except over ladder matches.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Capm, if you think that way, perhaps it's time you moved on.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Capm wrote:I rest my case.
EDIT: What I said originally was really funny, but also kind of mean. Needless to say, I disagree with your case.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Krom wrote:Extract the cow skin files into the D3 root dir.

Personally, I liked my keyboard icon that was 100% alpha, in other words it was <absolutely nothing>, gotta find that one again. :P
You need some indicator there though so you know when to kill them.
KaTaNa
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KaTaNa »

I expect to die if I'm typing in game...simple.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

thank ya !
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Type when your dead..

Sting_Ray do you still have mine?
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

My typing icon was richard simmons head. I am not sure if it is floating around anymore but I shot that thing down as fast as I saw it.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Main Entry: an·ar·chy
Pronunciation: 'a-n&r-kE, -"när-
Function: noun
Etymology: Medieval Latin anarchia, from Greek, from anarchos having no ruler, from an- + archos ruler -- more at ARCH-
1 a : absence of government b : a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority c : a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government
2 a : absence or denial of any authority or established order b : absence of order : DISORDER <not manicured plots but a wild anarchy of nature -- Israel Shenker>
3 : ANARCHISM
4 a : playing a ★■◆●ing video game without crying and making up your own set of rules that others must follow.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Ferno, just because I don't like it doesn't mean I'm stupid, I usually type when I'm dead or hiding, but I won't typekill unless the other person has been an ass about it.

I know it is a game, but then so is baseball and football and soccer, and they all have rules about unsportsmanlike conduct.

And if I'm the only person who feels this way, then I think thats just sad.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Capm, main reason I type kill now is because most of the time I have absolutely no desire to hear what they are going to say. 90% of the time it is going to either be a hack accusation, bitching about spawn killing, saying trifusion is lame, or just random complaints because they are getting owned. Typekilling is just one more thing they will ★■◆● about.

-Krom
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Type and expect to die. I don't make a habit of shooting people typing, but at the same time I'm not going to tip toe around a typer in a shootout with another player. It's that simple.
Scorch
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Scorch »

don't worry Capm, I agree with you. Of course, I also don't play anymore (but not because of that reason). I have never typekilled anyone deliberately, because if they are typing, they aren't playing the game. What fun is it to shoot at someone who isn't even moving? Plus, maybe they are asking a legitimate question, and they should not be recklessly killed simply because they wanted to say something. As Capm said, it is about sportsmanship.

On the other hand, I have no problems if people typekill me. It's just a game! :P
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

i also agree with capm, intenional typekilling is a nono for me. if you want kills, earn them. (but typekilling happens sometimes accidently...)

here is my new keyboard texture:

:P
Poozilla
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Poozilla »

Hey Mods...delete my account here, SERIOUSLY...NOW. After reading this I'm uninstalling the game. Capm, consider the fact that only 5% of these people play this game anymore unless its a lan.......Ferno, up til now I actually had some respect for your opinion....no wonder people quit playing....who wants to play a pc game with a steep learning curve where the "select" players don't give a rats a$$ about teaching you anything except how to be indifferent. Go Phuc yerselves guys...I'm sick of it.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

hahahah digi. :P

if type killing isn't allowed why can you do it? don't be mad at others because you are bogging down the pace of the game with your novel.

it's entertainment for gawds sake... be entertained or don't play.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I'm generally pretty lenient on the typers. If I'm flying around and I see someone typing, I will fire a flare at their windshield and move one. What surprises me is how many people insist on typing while in a dogfight or while in the enemy base with the flag. I have no sympathy for these idiots.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Back in the day I had people who, in the middle of a dogfight with me, stop flyin and start typing and whined incessintly when I killed them shortly after starting to type.

This is an action game. If you stop in the middle of it to type, except to get hit.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

wow, who woulda thunk it :roll:

a simple request turns into an ethical debate :lol:

where's my beer and popcorn?
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

if you want kills, earn them.
I want your shield orb more than anything.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Krom wrote:Personally, I liked my keyboard icon that was 100% alpha, in other words it was <absolutely nothing>, gotta find that one again. :P
Just go to JMeat's site, he's that one up too :)
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

[Grendel] wrote:
Krom wrote:Personally, I liked my keyboard icon that was 100% alpha, in other words it was <absolutely nothing>, gotta find that one again. :P
Just go to JMeat's site, he's that one up too :)
Gave it to him already. :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Poozilla wrote:Hey Mods...delete my account here, SERIOUSLY...NOW.
Not possible. We don't have access to the admin panel. ;)
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

since no has mentioned it...

typers in team game could be issuing instructions or intel to other team members. shooting them may cause them to abort their message. typers in a team game are legitimate targets.

otherwise i only shoot typers that are whining because i see shooting them as a form of taunting. if it's 1 on 1 or regular anarchy and everyone is being cool, i make a concerted effort to avoid hitting typers. but i fully expect to be rightfully shot and killed if i am typing.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

MD-2389 wrote:
Poozilla wrote:Hey Mods...delete my account here, SERIOUSLY...NOW.
Not possible. We don't have access to the admin panel. ;)
Well, since he should never even try to log in here again it shouldn't matter whether his account is deleted or not.

And I'm sure he's not reading all these subsequent posts, either, to find out how we're responding to his little temper tantrum. Or course, if you believe that, you'll believe there's going to be a Karl Lagerfeld, Jr.

Regarding type killing, my favorite part is when you fly past a typer to let him live, then he shoots you in the back.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Hitting F8 does not make your ship invulnerable. Play accordingly.