Headphone 'de-amplifier'

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Headphone 'de-amplifier'

Post by Krom »

I have a reasonably nice pair of in ear sound insulating ear buds for traveling or other loud environments. They mute out over 30 decibels from the outside, but no matter what I do on any device I try to use them on even at the lowest volume level available they are still too loud. Are there any inexpensive devices I can buy or make that will allow me to cut the volume level down to tolerable levels for portable MP3 players? Preferably something small that does not require any additional power and won't distort the sound any.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

:o Weird... my wife asked me about this very thing yesterday. The earbuds that came with her portable mp3 player are too loud, even at the lowest volume setting (the next-lowest volume setting is \"silent\").

I was thinking of getting her either an analog in-line volume control to use with the earbuds she has, or a new pair of earbuds with an inline volume control. The former is proving to be difficult to find at any local electronics stores; and the latter is just a bit too expensive, especially because the earbuds she has are pretty good quality.

I'll post if I find anything.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Their site didn't show it, but it turns out my local Radio Shack has a 1-ft. stereo extension cable with an inline analog volume control for under $8.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

That might do the trick, let me how it works out.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Actually, when I went to the local Radio shack and looked at it, I decided to go with the other option (new pair of earbuds with an attached volume control). The little inline volume control just looked \"cheap\"; short, tiny, easily-breakable wires, and the attenuator box looked like it would just fall apart.

Something like http://www.amazon.com/Labtec-AC14REGN-4 ... B00006HSHM would be 10x better, and only a couple more dollars.
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

God forbid anyone bother try putting resistors between each channel and ground. :P
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Headphone 'de-amplifier'

Post by Asrale »

Krom wrote:I have a reasonably nice pair of in ear sound insulating ear buds for traveling or other loud environments. They mute out over 30 decibels from the outside, but no matter what I do on any device I try to use them on even at the lowest volume level available they are still too loud. Are there any inexpensive devices I can buy or make that will allow me to cut the volume level down to tolerable levels for portable MP3 players? Preferably something small that does not require any additional power and won't distort the sound any.
Are these "in ear sound insulating ear buds" made by Shure or Etymotic?

http://www.headphone.com/products/cable ... dapter.php

http://www.headphone.com/products/cable ... nuator.php
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

You'll want the item I linked second then. Designed specifically for Shure IEMs and it'll beat anything you can find at Radio Shack for sound quality.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

pATCheS wrote:God forbid anyone bother try putting resistors between each channel and ground. :P
When you're dealing with audio you can't simply put resistors in places. Each component you add to an audio path creates distortion, feedback, and noise. That's why we pay $10,000 a pop for sound cards at our radio station -- they actually test each component (or at least batch of components) to make sure they don't generate signal noise.

Remember, dirty power = dirty signal!
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

pATCheS wrote:God forbid anyone bother try putting resistors between each channel and ground. :P
Hehe pads anyone?

http://www.bcae1.com/lpad.htm

Resistors alone would work but reduce the low end quality and imparts a tinny sound to the music to me.

Adding caps helps to restore the bass;

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-RCpad.htm

but an active pre-amp/eq. will be better.