Help with spdif input level

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Help with spdif input level

Post by De Rigueur »

I got a new motherboard with spdif i/o connections. It uses realtek alc850 codecs and I'm trying to record through the spdif input. I'm using recording software called audacity. The level meter in audacity is not very high even though I have the input level up all the way.

In the Windows 'recording control' window, the slider for spdif is 'grayed out' and won't let me increase the level. So the level is stuck at about 70%.
Is there a way to access the windows spdif input level? I have new drivers, btw.

Thanks
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

SP-DIF is fixed volume, you shouldn't be able to adjust it. What are you trying to record? There may be other methods of boosting the volume levels.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

The audio source is a Boss GT8 effects processor. I have the spdif output level maxed on it. Since this and the record level are maxed, I'm thinking something must be wrong.

I'm getting some level but I'm afraid it might not be high enough to make an optimal recording.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Hmmm, just a thought, but try setting the wave and master volume settings to maximum in windows.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

make sure thats under recording.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Check the cable, maybe? You need something with a 75-ohm characteristic impedance. If the cable's been kinked or something that could throw off the impedance and pose a problem. Standard coax should be fine; grab one off your cable TV and check as a last resort. :P

Also, make sure that if the effects processor has its own internal clock that you've configured your input to use that clock... though if it were a clock mismatch I guess you wouldn't be getting any audio at all.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

I don't quite remember what the package said on the cable, but I think it's for digital. I assume if it was an audio cable, it would have been a stereo pair.

The processor has a programmable fx chain so I inserted an equalizer at the end of the chain to boost the output signal.

Anyway, it seems to be working.

Thanks for the input.