new file structure for D1X-Rebirth?

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

New structure?

Yeah, do it for the demos!
No votes
Yeah, do it for the HiRes stuff!
9%
Yeah, do it for the missions!
No votes
I like all three options!
91%
No! Keep it as it is! (Reason in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 11
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

new file structure for D1X-Rebirth?

Post by zico »

Hi everyone

For a matter of organisation I have the thought to change some things in the D1X-Rebirth file structure.

1) D2X-Rebirth saves it's demos as default in a subdirectory. I would like to do that for D1X-Rebirth as well

2) D1X-Rebirth can make use of HiRes Fonts and Briefing screens. I would like to place them to another subdirectory

3) D1X-Rebirth can make use of -missiondir argument to browse a different directory for AddOn missions. D2X-Rebirth already takes the subdirectory \"missions\" as default. I would like also to default the -missiondir parameter to such a subdirectory (of course with possibility to change it)

What do you think about this changes?
I think it would make it easier to organise all the stuff instead of messing a single directory.
On the other side I think it could confuse too much.

What do YOU think about that?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

If they improve the overall ease of use of the program, I don't see why these options shouldn't be implemented.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sounds good to me, especially the missions subdirectory. I've always found backing up my missions in D1 a bit annoying due to them being crammed in a single folder with everything else.
Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tankie2 »

1. yes. Make the demos easier to find & delete or offer to others.

2. I like the mission directory option. You can seperate different missions for single play, kali, & coop and use a command argument, for instance, in the kali game launch with -missiondir Kali or -missiondir flag, then set another launcher with -missiondir coop. You can do this with windows shortcuts too. As it is now I find myself often downloading a level on kali then I can't play it because I have too many files in my mission directory. Then I have to hurry up and move a mess somewhere else to play the game. Also, picking a mission to play can be a pain too, because the list is too long and you can't tell if it's coop or flag or what ever.

3. highres support for briefing scenes and fonts would be nice if it included fonts for the different display resolutions that are selected automatically.
Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

And another thing!

Post by Tankie2 »

D1X already supports scrolling through subdirectories in the mission file folder, but it does not let you \"browse\" through them by name. So, if for instance you want to keep your D1 Missions separate \"<Ladder>\" we know that is a folder, we highlight it, hit enter, and scroll through the anarchy directory till we see other directories, <spaz> and <Kruel>, we highlight <spaz> and pick a level to play, such as Tribute or Minerva.

We could do the same with <flag> directory for D2X and so on. That would be a great help in finding the right mission to play quickly and I'd like to see it implemented in BOTH versions of Rebirth. D2X lets you have subdirectories and I put on in there to keep the D1 andD2 missions separate, but they are not separated in the list. All are listed alphabetically by name. This especially sucks when both D1 and D2 versions have the same name and you're hosting a game for a legacy player that doesn't have D1 mission capability. OOPS!

on another note (this is probably already mentioned some where in the DBB) is there a limit to the number of files we can have in there?

Tankie
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

IIRC, it (re: the original versions of the games) can only read like 40 or so at a time. I forgot the exact number, but it was around that. That shouldn't be too hard to overcome though since the source code is out.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

I increased the max. value for levels in a very early stage of DXX.
Reading my Changelog I increased it to 5000 missions.