Need pictures of rocket/missile/jet thruster ineteriors

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Need pictures of rocket/missile/jet thruster ineteriors

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any info or pictures of missile/rocket/jet-engines? Specifically, what I'm looking for, are pictures of the inside of the thruster cone. I'm working on some models and I could use some ideas.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Email Al Jazeera. I'm sure they could help you out.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Heh.

I'm not building one. Just want to figure out how to paint the exhaust on my new concussion missile mesh. :p

I googled for images of it today and couldn't find a decent picture of one. They are all at inconvenient angles so I can't see inside the engine.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Most of the ones I have ever seen are black.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Yeah, I've seen black. Aside from that, stainless steel perhaps. It's not meant to be especially photogenic, so it would be rather bare.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

here's some reference material.

Saturn V rocket motor
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

I've got a few photos of jet exhausts.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hmmm, it's hard to say. I was looking at Eagle's exhaust for the GX and it looks like a big turbine with a grill of some kind in the middle. But a turbine really doesn't make sense on the other end. I would expect that kind of heat to most likely melt the turbine fan blades. Though the effect looks pretty cool. I'm a fan of turbines myself. But I like my work to look realistic as well if possible, or at least have the illusion of being real.

For instance these:

http://fire.prohosting.com/hud607/photo ... 14a_11.jpg
http://fire.prohosting.com/hud607/photo ... f-5_09.jpg

Intakes?

What I'm working on specifically are the concussion models. Now a turbine CAN function to pull heat out of an engine, for instance, the turbine fan on my computer case. However, they are made out of very flimsy material. I would imagine if placed on a jet or missile exhaust, it would melt. On a concussion missile you don't have any air moving into the engine from the front, so a turbine would be pointless anyway. Maybe some sort of generic grill texture?
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

air intake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbojet
no air intake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_engine

oh, and your two image links don't open.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Flatlander »

First one's looking into the inlet on an F-14, at the face of the TF30 turbofan. Second one is looking into the exhaust of an F9F Panther, which had a J48 turbojet. And no, neither is what you would see on most small missiles like a conc. Larger missiles, like cruise missiles and target drones, often use small jet engines. My web host doesn't allow hotlinking directly to images, so that's why you can't see 'em by clicking on the above links. I don't think I have any pics of missile exhausts, but I'm pretty sure they're not very detailed.
si vis pacem, para bellum
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yep, I agree. Neither would really work for a concussion. So anyone have any examples of what would?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

If you can give me a few hours, I can post up some pics of some huge rocket motors (like for the space shuttle) that I took at the rocket testing facility in Mississippi about an hour from my house. I've got pics of the insides of the bells and out, and some of them are really cool... just need to find them.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Here's some of the ones that show the engines better... the big rockets actually have tiny ridges, like courragated cardboard, that run out to the bell. I'll leave them up for a few days. Let me know if that's more of what you're looking for.

Stickman's rocket pics
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL Sticky.. i noticed all the kids are standing in front/behind the nozzle.. um.. are you trying to tell us something about your kids???

:wink:

great pix!