I'm goin' to ENGLAND!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

I'm goin' to ENGLAND!

Post by DCrazy »

Newcastle upon Tyne, to be precise. I get to go there for an entire semester next year. I'll be studying at the University of Newcastle, taking all the core classes (plus Intro to Marketing) that I've ignored for too long.

Any tips? I'm especially looking for ways to conserve money on food (not that it should be too hard to avoid eating; this is England we're talking about :P). But with the pound trading at $2, and barely being able to afford life in Maryland, I'm worried about what it's gonna be like across the pond.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Everything in England is backwards, so just remember left side of the road, metric system, \"colour\", walk through doors backwards, etc.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

Dunno what it's like in Newcastle, but when I was in London the food was VERY expensive, but most probably that has to do with London being the capital and having 7-8 million inhabitants n such...

The food was really ok, but I couldn't get used to the black tea. But if you're one of those coffee junkies I guess you would like that, too

EDIT: regarding what Topher said: you get used to that left driving stuff really quick, and they got inches and miles and all that, too
and walking backwards through doors - lolz
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: I'm goin' to ENGLAND!

Post by Mobius »

DCrazy wrote: I'm goin' to ENGLAND!
Sorry to hear that old chap! Toodle pip.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

The one thing Britain is really behind on and that you can't take it for granted is proper heating and insulation. I've never before seen so many leaky windows, and large houses with just one little radiator. So, if you're not living on a university site and staying over winter then check that before moving into a place. We didn't and are now paying horrendous electrical bills every winter...

Other than that, it's a great place to be! Good luck!

P.S. english girls really like american accents, my american colleagues are telling me....
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Lol..

I was supposed to go to Newcastle Uni (accepted for eng lit course) many moons ago, in the end i travelled the world, got drunk, and laid a lot. :wink:

Newcastle is up north so the prices are a HELL of a lot cheaper than London, no need to worry on that score.

Newcastle is a PARTY town, so many clubs and pubs you'll probably not get to them all.

You will never understand the local accent, so don't even try.

Food. I don't know what all this crap aout England having bad food is all about, but you'll see it when you get there.

Your accent will get you laid a hell of a lot.

Go see a Newcastle UTD footie match.

You're also not that far away from Haagy.

Have a great time you lucky bastid.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Pay a visit to the The Ministry of Silly Walks for us all.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Pandora wrote:P.S. english girls really like american accents, my american colleagues are telling me....
Ironically, english boys really hate female american accents.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

True. Male american accents sound well cool to me. The women just sound dumb...i never tought about it before.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Pandora wrote:The one thing Britain is really behind on and that you can't take it for granted is proper heating and insulation. I've never before seen so many leaky windows, and large houses with just one little radiator. So, if you're not living on a university site and staying over winter then check that before moving into a place. We didn't and are now paying horrendous electrical bills every winter...
Luckily we'll be in new flats, so that shouldn't be too bad.
P.S. english girls really like american accents, my american colleagues are telling me....
I'm a CS major; that kinda negates that. :P
Flabby Chick wrote:Newcastle is up north so the prices are a HELL of a lot cheaper than London, no need to worry on that score.
That's great news. :D
Newcastle is a PARTY town, so many clubs and pubs you'll probably not get to them all.
I'm not much of a partier, but if the pubs have good food then it's great to have many of them to choose from.
You will never understand the local accent, so don't even try.
They'll never understand my bastardized Maryland/New York combination either. :P
Food. I don't know what all this crap aout England having bad food is all about, but you'll see it when you get there.
If they have curry, then it's a non-issue.
Your accent will get you laid a hell of a lot.
The last thing I want to get busted for at customs is importing foreign STDs. Also, see above. :P
Go see a Newcastle UTD footie match.
Soccer is boring, but soccer in person might be fun. (And I gotta stop saying "soccer").
You're also not that far away from Haagy.
I'll ship my drum kit over and we can start an international superband!
Will do! :D
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

x2!

Soak up some non-American culture while you're there,

and, from time to time, soak up a pint or two, should you find it medicinal. Study hard.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

post ur pics!