Thimking my power supply died...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Thimking my power supply died...

Post by Sage »

Yea I don't post much on these forums much anymore but I always remember how helpful you guys are with computer stuff! :D

I think my power supply died, here's the problem.
I recently upgraded my computer to the new stuff; (upgraded from an AGP motherboard to PCIe etc) Motherboard, ram, GFX Card and also I bought a new case for feefty dollars. Everything went great (except I need to buy another SATA drive because this motherboard doesn't have enough IDE ports for all my hard drives. i got 3 haha)

So everythings been running just fine for about a day then when I was playing WoW (lol rite) my computer just up and restarted on me... completely shut down then started to boot back up, but then would shut down again while it was loading It wouldn't even get up to the WinXP loading screen. It would keeping doing this over and over until I switched it off.

I tried lots of things, unplugging various stuff from the motherboard. Hard drives etc. I actually got it to the WinXP loading screen one time when I completely unplugged my SATA drive from the power supply.(still had my IDE drive connected which has WinXP on it) But at the WinXP loading screen it just completely shut down.

Now it won't even power up anymore. Not even a bit, no fans no nothing. Actually the little LED on the front of the case blinks on for a split second then turns off right away when I press the power button. I've tried unplugging everything(even graphics card and ram and stuff) but still no-go.

I'm thinking it's the power supply but I'm still not 100% sure. I'm not very good with computers LoL. I would try my old PSU but honestly it's only has a 20 pin ATX connector instead of 24 like my new motherboard takes.

So anyways I was just posting this too see if you guys have any ideas. What causes PSU to die anyways? I've had problems with PSUs dieing before. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'll probably order a new PSU off newegg tomorrow. Maybe I'll try my brother's PSU first just to see. Posting from my bros computer right now (upgraded his as well, exactly the same) and it's working fine!

Sorry if that was too long. You guys rock. brb
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Does sound like a defective PSU, just make sure you have enough wattage to cover the computer with room to spare. I wouldn't recommend less then 500 watts for a modern system anymore given the quality of most no brand PSUs.

Even though most systems probably don't use more then 300 watts maximum at the outlet, a cheap 500w Chinese PSU will probably choke up trying to keep that going for too long. Of course I have also seen major brand PSUs fail too, sometimes it is just the luck of the draw. If you wanna narrow out your PSU for sure, put it in your brothers machine and see what happens.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Yeah just tried my brothers power supply and it worked so yea it's dead. I'll order up a good PSU later today.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i think mine is on the fritz aswell. it get random hard locks that require reboots, and then when i reboot...... it wont turn on at all.

i just ordered APEVIA ATX-AS520W-BK ATX 520W Power Supply
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

my new 7800GSOC requires a 12v rail with 20+ Amps
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

AceCombat wrote:my new 7800GSOC requires a 12v rail with 20+ Amps
Thats nice, but I wasn't talking to you. :)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

oh shaddup! :twisted:

i figured you wernt talking to me, but i replied anyways so :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Be nice kids. :P

My 7950 GT never said anything about requiring a 12v with that much extra power. Though the specs on my PSU are 18 amps per rail, there are 4 separate rails so it adds up to 72 amps, so I guess it wouldn't be a problem. :P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re:

Post by AceCombat »

Krom wrote: My 7950 GT never said anything about requiring a 12v with that much extra power. Though the specs on my PSU are 18 amps per rail, there are 4 separate rails so it adds up to 72 amps, so I guess it wouldn't be a problem. :P
its right on the BFG Box, at least 20 Amps on the 12v Rail. my rosewill 500w PSU has 3 18A Rails, but i found out they are not bridged. each string of cables is marked on which rail they are operating off of. now if they were bridged then yeah i would have plenty of power for the card, but since they are not, and its giving me problems i went ahead and found one with 20+ amps on the 12v rails. and this PSU i ordered has 2 rails with 20+ Amps on each.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You might get the two extra amps if you started playing pyromania again. ;) I'll be all too happy to re-introduce you to your old friend. :lol:
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

OH NO!

i am NOT getting introduced to that thing again!