Windows for Warships

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Windows for Warships

Post by Kilarin »

fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

someone should remind the RN of that one american crusier that had NT running its systems.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Blohm & Voss built a cruiser using NT in certain systems about 10 years ago. They had to send a towboat after it on its first trip into the northsea.. :lol:

Edit: quite interesting article.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I like how up to date Her Majesty's Navy is:

\"A present-day Type 42 destroyer carries at least four people who have absolutely nothing else to do but care for the ship's command system. As of just a few years ago, this was still a pair of antique 24-bit, 1MHz machines each with about 25KB of RAM.\"
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Hmm, if it weren't for the drastic consequences, it's quite funny to think that now naval battles can be won or lost because of a Blue Screen of Death.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

woodchip wrote:I like how up to date Her Majesty's Navy is:

"A present-day Type 42 destroyer carries at least four people who have absolutely nothing else to do but care for the ship's command system. As of just a few years ago, this was still a pair of antique 24-bit, 1MHz machines each with about 25KB of RAM."
Of course, usually the reason to keep using antiquated gear is because "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ... and money/funding.

Seems to me, that while it might be scary to think the Blue Screen of Death might become a real event... it would appear that just about ANY upgrade would be favorable.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

At least it's not Vista-based. ;)

\"You are accessing the command EMERGENCY FULL REVERSE, Cancel or Allow?\"
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

a pair of antique 24-bit, 1MHz machines each with about 25KB of RAM
Yes, it looks like this may really BE an upgrade.
But, no offense to Topher intended, it STILL makes me nervous. :)

Actually, I think Tech Pro (and the new BattleStar Galactica) have a good point about the dangers of high tech, particularly of computer networks. I would assume, of course, that the RN has taken this into account.

Then again, who knows. *I* would have run my warships on Linux for a few simple reasons:

1: Open source. yeah, yeah, lots of risks involved with open source as well, but it makes me REAL nervous letting a private company control the brain of my ship with source code that no one outside can see. Of course, perhaps they have a special deal with the government that lets gov techs review the code? (like they would have time to review the whole os, not likely)

2: It's harder to play games on Linux. No, seriously, picture this scenario:

The scene, sometime in the near future, a RN submarine, running deep and silent in the Persian Gulf. Suddenly the peace is shattered by a wailing Klaxon:

WHEEEP! WHEEEP!

The captain comes running in to the command center and shouts, \"XO! What's going on?\"

\"Iranian destroyer sir, they got us with a hard ping. They've got two torps in the water and locked on to us HARD!\"

ping ping... The captain can hear the two enemy torpedoes coming at him.

\"Well,\" replies the Captain. \"Activate the defense systems! Drop a decoy, drop two!\"

ping ping ping...

\"Sorry\", says the XO. \"But the defense computer is, uhm, unavailable\".

\"Unavailable!!!!\", screams the captain. \"What do you mean UNAVAILABLE!\"

ping ping ping ping...

\"Well.. Sir\", the XO stammers. \"Some of the men were using it to host a lan party. They were playing...\", he glances down at a monitor\". \"Something called Core Decision. It's going to take a few minutes to get it back online...\"

\"What the..!\", The Captain's face is turning red. \"Never mind the decoy's. Take us down 400 feet NOW, perhaps we'll lose them as we cross the thermocline\".

Ping Ping Ping Ping Ping...

\"Uhm... Sorry Sir.\" the XO says, hanging his head. \"Navigation and Engine Control are also rebooting sir. Uhm, I think those were doing Halo 4\".

PING PING PING PING PING PING!!!

\"ARRRGH!\" The captain screams. \"Emergency surface! Blow all the tanks! Emergency Surface!\"

The Xo grabs a mouse and clicks a big flashing red icon on his monitor. There is a brief pause, then suddenly a paperclip wearing a sailors uniform appears on the screen and says, \"I see you are attempting an Emergency Surface. This could be dangerous and creates a hazard for any commercial shipping in the area, would you like me to show you how to use the diving planes for a safer surfacing procedure?\"

PINGPINGPINGPINGPINGPINGPINGPINGPINGPING!!!!

The Captains next words are drowned out by two large explosions and the sounds of a collapsing hull...
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Probably a bad example, assuming that Core Decision is still planned for Linux. :P
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:At least it's not Vista-based. ;)

"You are accessing the command EMERGENCY FULL REVERSE, Cancel or Allow?"
HAHAHAHA!!

Having been playing around with Vista at school for the past few months, I understand completely how this is. :D
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Kilarin wrote:... There is a brief pause, then suddenly a paperclip wearing a sailors uniform appears on the screen and says, ...
LMAO @ Kilarin's post