Descent Level Database

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

k cool, further feedback:

Level notes are available, but were difficult to find. If they could somehow be added when the level is uploaded it would be preferable. (In fact some way to edit your own missions without going through Account Info would be great too.)

Password field makes sense, although I have no personal preference in the matter. I suspect password managers built into browsers will handle it better though.

P.S. DMDB takes GIF, JPEG or PNG. I have had no problems whatsoever getting JPGs below the required size - haven't tried the other two formats yet.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Sirius wrote:Level notes are available, but were difficult to find. If they could somehow be added when the level is uploaded it would be preferable. (In fact some way to edit your own missions without going through Account Info would be great too.)
I can add level notes to the add mission page no problem.

Also, I will take you to the edit mission screen, if you're logged in and it's your mission, when you click on a mission; rather than going to the view mission screen, and without having to go through the account screen.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

UPDATE:

Registered users to can now jump right to the edit mission screen from the home page by simply clicking on a mission that's theirs. Also added the option to enter notes for the mission when adding a mission.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Looks good Sniper!

BTW, if anyone still has a problem with contrast, you can disable css, at least in Firefox 2. This gives you a plain black text on a white background. Is there a possibility to add other files, such as mods, demos, etc...? And about autodownload with Vortex is the url added at the dmdb or ???
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Hi, Sniper!

My only bit of feedback would be that the copyright text on the bottom actually is really hard to read. But aside from that, I really do like the color scheme and the courier, fixed-width font. It looks technical and sophisticated without being condescending. Nice work.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Seems to be pretty ill at the moment.

Its been blowing MYSQL error chunks for days now.

Code: Select all

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on '65.26.206.132' (4) in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/include/connection.php on line 6
ERROR: Can't connect to MySQL server on '65.26.206.132' (4)
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/include/connection.php:6) in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/include/checkUser.php on line 2

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/include/connection.php:6) in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/include/checkUser.php on line 2

Warning: mysql_db_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/include/checkUser.php on line 11
Can't connect to MySQL server on '65.26.206.132' (4)
Warning: mysql_db_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 21

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 22
Warning: mysql_db_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 27

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 28
Warning: mysql_db_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 33

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 34
Warning: mysql_db_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 39

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 40
Warning: mysql_db_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 45
Warning: mysql_db_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 50
Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Access denied for user 'nobody'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 64

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/enspiar/public_html/dmdb/index.php on line 64
Error, query failed
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

x2 ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Database server is down... which may be a little outside Sniper's control, but who's to say.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

I am so sorry guys. It is within my control, normally, but not for the past week - I am on vacation and do not have access to the server. I made preparations so that the server wouldn't go down, but I think there was some storms, and the server is off. It will resume this Sunday (3-25)
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

OK GUYS! It's back up! I'm so sorry - again. I'll make up for it with new features ;)
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bakdraft »

Be careful using the word \"features\", someone else around here has already hijacked it and given it an unbelievably negative meaning.

In the case of the DMDB, though, I would describe them as \"kick-ass improvements\". :D Glad it's back up, as I've got a new level to upload later tonight.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Level rating - would like this to be more obvious somehow. When logged out, you can see it on the top ten levels, but not really that many of them.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Sirius wrote:When logged out, you can see it on the top ten levels, but not really that many of them.
So you mean you want to see the rating for each level without actually clicking on the level to view the details screen?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Hey, the site looks very good! :D

Except for (as Kyouryuu says) the copyright text. It's almost completely unreadable :(

I've not tested the upload feature, but i hope to do so (sometime soon :wink: )
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Um... no... it's just that I'm not seeing a rating even on the details screen.

This is while not logged in, note. While I expect no way to actually rate levels, viewing ratings shouldn't be a concern...
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Maintenance

Post by Sniper »

The server is down for maintenance and will be down today and maybe tomorrow. I will update if anything changes or the outage continues. My power supply took a crap :)
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Ok, new supply is in and the DB server is back up.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

DMDB is down while my domain name decides to renew. :-\\
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Descent Level Database

Post by Sniper »

Howdy folks. Just a quick note: I'm upgrading the front-end user interface of the DMDB. I got quite far on it tonight. In the end it will boast better contrast colors, and a lot of jQuery/AJAX goodness. It'll be a long awaited a well-deserved upgrade. If you have any feature requests, put 'em down here and I'll see what I can work in to the first release.
Descent Mission Database
Host, Share, and Update Descent Levels - Built Specifically for Level Developers!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Was thinking maybe the rating could show how many votes it got that rating from. Doesn't have to be on the front page, could be on the level page itself.

The other thing is that there seem to be an awful lot of levels for whom the developer system breaks down. For instance, someone uploaded Levels of the World and the whole thing is in their name. Would probably be better if they were allowed to set the developer to whatever they wanted - in this case "Various" - and just give them credit via an "uploaded by" field or something to that effect. Obsidian is similar - it says I was the author, but really it wasn't just me, it was a team of people.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Sirius wrote:Was thinking maybe the rating could show how many votes it got that rating from. Doesn't have to be on the front page, could be on the level page itself.

The other thing is that there seem to be an awful lot of levels for whom the developer system breaks down. For instance, someone uploaded Levels of the World and the whole thing is in their name. Would probably be better if they were allowed to set the developer to whatever they wanted - in this case "Various" - and just give them credit via an "uploaded by" field or something to that effect. Obsidian is similar - it says I was the author, but really it wasn't just me, it was a team of people.
Right on. Perhaps a "Contributors" field would do the trick (with the ability to add more than one).
Descent Mission Database
Host, Share, and Update Descent Levels - Built Specifically for Level Developers!
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Good to see the DMDB updated again!

One thing I would definitely like to see implemented on it is the option to stay loged in (I suppose with a cookie or something like that).

Anyway, very good news to see the site updated. :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I agree with Pumo.

Thanks for all your efforts Sniper! :)
Prepare for DESCENT!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Awesome work. :D
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Pumo wrote:Good to see the DMDB updated again!

One thing I would definitely like to see implemented on it is the option to stay loged in (I suppose with a cookie or something like that).

Anyway, very good news to see the site updated. :)
Definitely, this is coming. :)
Descent Mission Database
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

And thanks for all your positivity with this, it means a lot! :)
Descent Mission Database
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

I don't know why nobody has suggested t'is yet...

The missions should all be browsable also in uploadin' order (as well as player mode, game).

PS. The JPG support's still missing.
It's just a game. Face it.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

That's probably a good idea.
Though I'm happy enough to have an "official" community site where all the missions are in one place.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.