If I was in charge...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

If I was in charge...

Post by Capm »

Lots of things would be different. How different? Well, lets start with foriegn policy.

1) I would withdraw all our military back to US territory & critical intrests. We already have too many problems at home to be sticking our nose in other people business.

2) Health Care. Mandatory, for all US citizens. Anything non-elective is free (sorry, no free boob jobs)

3) Prisons will be hell on earth. Death row will be unoccupied. Prisoners will get no TV, no newspapers no gyms no free college. Cells will be a 6x6x6 solid concrete room with an automatic flush toilet and a solid steel door with no handles and minimal lighting. Any time not in the cell will be spent doing backbreaking ★■◆● jobs. Hand-mowing and de-littering the highways, breaking rocks, digging ditches, filling them in and then digging them back out. Wardens will carry shotguns and whips. Those sentanced to death get a quick bullet to the the head. Quick, cheap, effective.

4) Decent education. Free. College education required like high school. dumbass laws that interfere with the teachers ability to teach will be abolished.

5) Electoral college will be abolished.

6) No congressman may be a member of the bar.

7) The homeless will be put to work and housed, or conscripted into the military. Welfare will be abolished also. Those recieving welfare will be put to work. A free daycare system will be implemented. Special provisions will be made for those actually handicapped.

8) Landfills will have their contents sorted and recycled, among other changes. Toxic waste will be hurled into the sun... in the Alpha Centari system.

9) We will colonize the moon. We have the technology. And later Mars, and we'll strip-mine the asteroid belt.

10) FTTH: For every home in the USA.

Thats my top-ten list.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

2 things..

1) You must be about 20

2) with what money?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

<------ Agrees with a few of the sentiments above, but is glad Capm is not in charge.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

So... you want to raise taxes?

Do you even pay taxes?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: If I was in charge...

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Capm wrote:Lots of things would be different. How different? Well, lets start with foriegn policy.

1) I would withdraw all our military back to US territory & critical intrests. We already have too many problems at home to be sticking our nose in other people business.

2) Health Care. Mandatory, for all US citizens. Anything non-elective is free (sorry, no free boob jobs)

3) Prisons will be hell on earth. Death row will be unoccupied. Prisoners will get no TV, no newspapers no gyms no free college. Cells will be a 6x6x6 solid concrete room with an automatic flush toilet and a solid steel door with no handles and minimal lighting. Any time not in the cell will be spent doing backbreaking ***** jobs. Hand-mowing and de-littering the highways, breaking rocks, digging ditches, filling them in and then digging them back out. Wardens will carry shotguns and whips. Those sentanced to death get a quick bullet to the the head. Quick, cheap, effective.

4) Decent education. Free. College education required like high school. dumbass laws that interfere with the teachers ability to teach will be abolished.

5) Electoral college will be abolished.

7) The homeless will be put to work and housed, or conscripted into the military. Welfare will be abolished also. Those recieving welfare will be put to work. A free daycare system will be implemented. Special provisions will be made for those actually handicapped.

8) Landfills will have their contents sorted and recycled, among other changes. Toxic waste will be hurled into the sun... in the Alpha Centari system.

9) We will colonize the moon. We have the technology. And later Mars, and we'll strip-mine the asteroid belt.

10) FTTH: For every home in the USA.

Thats my top-ten list.
Welcome to Canada :D
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Testiculese »

Duper wrote: 2) with what money?
The 20 billion a month that's wasted for us by our owners, maybe?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Fidel lives!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Capm wrote:I would withdraw all our military back to US territory & critical intrests.
Guess where that puts us.... Critical interests include oil... and oil includes the mideast.

However, you raise some good points.

Bee
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Bet, the Alberta Oil Sands have more oil in them then the entire middle east put together exscluding Saudi Arabia.

It's just a bit more pricey to refine. If we would get off our collective arses, we could pump more money into it and get our oil here.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Bet, the Alberta Oil Sands have more oil in them then the entire middle east put together exscluding Saudi Arabia.

It's just a bit more pricey to refine. If we would get off our collective arses, we could pump more money into it and get our oil here.
Shhh, Darth Cheney has Haliburton has spies everywhere! Next thing you know Bush will include you guys in the axis of places that are more than slightly mean and we'll have to invade you!
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Welcome to Canada :D
Will Robinson wrote:...in the axis of places that are more than slightly mean ...
LMAO :lol:
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Well, I liked the part about prisons.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

LOL @ prisons.

sure, punish the guilty. but don't treat them like slaves.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Why not? They took from society (in one way or another) they can give it back. Bseides, we own their ass while in prison 'cause it costs a lot of cash. They can work it off. They're not slaves, they're indentured servants.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If you do the crime, you do the time.

If the law states you have to work 16 hour days in prison and you don't want to work that long, then go work at McDs and STFU.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Sounds like a horrible country, something the framers would not have wanted.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Nah, you need to be more agressive:

1: All retired people will be shot!
2: Smoking will be illegal, effective immediately. Anyone that rebels will be shot.
3: I will start a war with an area that noone has heard of for a reason that's only plausable, then spread heaploads of propaganda. But unlike currently, we will send no amount of men in and pretend that we did!
4: I will invade Canada, and any other country that is home to an obviously better society.
5: I will host a nationwide party in Florida during Mardi Gras. During the middle of it, the country shall be nuked from orbit. That removes all the good-for-nothing, non-achieving teenagers fron my land!
6: The July 4th holiday will be for a week! Makes people more patriotic!
7: Any famous people that try to point out that USA'n patrioticy is bad shall be shot!
8: School, including third-level education, will be free and mandatory!
9: The president shall also be the head of the government, so that he will get maximum power!
10: Fast food will be eliminated!
11: Prisoners sentenced to a jail sentence of 16 years or more will be executed instead.
12: There won't be public executions. Instead, deaths will be dealt quietly and instantly.
13: Only men will be able to get the higher politicial power, except for few sexist women.
14: Anyone who voluntarily proclaims me as a god will get one free lottery ticket! Two, if they're popular!
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

(:lol: @ Tiger)

Agreed, ccb.

It's not the kind of United States I would like to know if I was:

- Working on foreign soil, and needing the resources and/or protection of a US presence

- In prison, for any reason. Let's say I neglect to pay a fine, a warrant is issued for my arrest, and I have to spend a few nights in jail... so I should be spending my time in \"hell on earth\", digging and re-filling ditches with the murderers and rapists?

- Appealing a false conviction. If my conviction was capital punishment, I guess I get an instant \"bullet to the head\", no chance to prove my innocence?

- Not handicapped, but in need of public assistance because I'm too old to find a job. My only option is to join the military?
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Oh, and
15: I will invade Poland!!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Capm wrote: 9) We will colonize the moon. We have the technology. And later Mars, and we'll strip-mine the asteroid belt.
Actually, this IS in the works. But as the space station alone cost several BILLION dollars (even after being about a 1/3 the size it was going to be) It will take some time to get this done. The next moon shot will be in 2018 with the intent of getting ready for future Mars Missions specifically with colonization in mind.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Capm wrote:Lots of things would be different. How different? Well, lets start with foriegn policy.

Because keeping most of our military here at home will fix those problems. You misspelled "interests".
3) Prisons will be hell on earth. Death row will be unoccupied. Prisoners will get no TV, no newspapers no gyms no free college. Cells will be a 6x6x6 solid concrete room with an automatic flush toilet and a solid steel door with no handles and minimal lighting. Any time not in the cell will be spent doing backbreaking ***** jobs. Hand-mowing and de-littering the highways, breaking rocks, digging ditches, filling them in and then digging them back out. Wardens will carry shotguns and whips. Those sentanced to death get a quick bullet to the the head. Quick, cheap, effective.
If you stuck a toilet in a 6x6x6 room there would be hardly any room left. You spelled "sentenced" incorrectly. Welcome to Alabama circa 1943 - 1969
Because those making law should know nothing about it.

Because keeping them here at home in the military will make them better people and all that they can be. You misspelled "Received" ..."I" before "E" except after "C"
With all the money we save by NOT sending out military abroad.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

You all DO know that if you wanted a cell by yourself in solitude all you would have to do is backtalk a guard?
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I was not aware this was a spelling bee.
With all the money we save by NOT sending out military abroad.
You misspelled our. If you're going to nitpick my spelling, make sure your own crap is spelled right.

I was generalizing alot of this, I figured you guys would see that, but apparently you were expecting a novel dictating every little detail or some crap.

Oh yes, billions of dollars mostly spent on the useless crap of a beurocracy that nasa has become. Put it in a private companies lap (or 2 or 3), I'll bet they do it for less and quicker than nasa.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Thank God you aren't in Charge CapM. That's raving BS about the prisons man. Do some research (there's plenty) about operating prisons like that. It just doesn't work.

Although you COULD reduce your prison population dreamatically (It's only possible in dreams), and save a bundle of money if you treated drugs as a health issue and not a criminal issue.

Bet, as to withdrawing from foreign soils - you'd actually be in a far better position. With all the money the USA saved on not having to run foreign bases (alone!) you'd have MORE than enough money to buy oil, even from the people who don't like you very much. Money talks louder than guns. Your founding fathers knew that commerce was the way to win what you want.

Hell, if Bush thinks that 2 Trillion dollars (Iraq) is a good deal to secure oil supply for a few years buy miltary budget... he's a whacko nutjob. (Most of that money has gone to his buddies though, so it's not so straight forward). Work out how much oil 2 Trillion dollars buys. You think even people who hate you won't sign an oil deal with 2 Trillion on the table?? You'd have oil coming out the wazzoo!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Mobius wrote:if Bush thinks that 2 Trillion dollars (Iraq) is a good deal to secure oil supply for a few years buy miltary budget...
I'm pretty sure he doesn't. "It's all about the oil" doesn't pass the smell test. "It's all about islamofascism."
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Lothar wrote:
Mobius wrote:if Bush thinks that 2 Trillion dollars (Iraq) is a good deal to secure oil supply for a few years buy miltary budget...
I'm pretty sure he doesn't. "It's all about the oil" doesn't pass the smell test. "It's all about islamofascism."
Yes; it's not just about the oil, it's also about keeping his nation in a state of fear so that they don't notice their own problems!
Nah, I'm not serious.

Actually, wars are suprisingly effective at doing that! And it actually works!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Capm wrote:I
You misspelled our. If you're going to nitpick my spelling, make sure your own crap is spelled right.
A troll doesn't care.

And the point I was really alluding to was that the points you made were as ludicrous as the "concern" over silly typos.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Palzon »

TIGERassault wrote:Oh, and
15: I will invade Poland!!
Didn't you try that once already? How'd that work out anyway?