would you eat algae?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

would you eat algae?

ya
89%
nah
11%

Total votes: 9
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

would you eat algae?

Post by roid »

i recently came across a project where a guy is going to live for 2 weeks in an airtight room which will be sunk into a lake. He must recycle all his air, so he's using ALGAE (under lights) to convert his CO2 into O2. Pretty cool idea no?
the project started only a few days ago, he's been underwater now for longer than 24hours. http://www.biosub.com.au/

He'll also be EATING THE ALGAE.
Specifically it's Chlorella

i was all 'woa'. Eating algae?! I thought only specific animals did that, i guess not. But algae reproduces like there's no tomorrow, and we can eat it, why are people hungry in the world? I never did biology in school, so this is all exciting and new to me.

I've never eaten algae before.

So it looks to me that the Algae is supplying this guy with AIR and FOOD for 2 weeks, with nothing input but electricity to run the lights.
2 weeks, but i wonder how long it could last beyond that. A human supporting ecosystem that runs on nothing but electricity? THIS IS MADNESS@! (THIS IS SPARTA)
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Eating algae isn't anything new. The Japanese have been eating it for thousands of years.Look at your basic 'California roll' - the green stuff is pressed seaweed. Also, there are companys that make hybrid algae and encapsulate it for dietary consumption. It's very healthy for you, and although it is a acquired taste, once acquired, it's very good with sushi!
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Sniper wrote:Eating algae isn't anything new. The Japanese have been eating it for thousands of years.Look at your basic 'California roll' - the green stuff is pressed seaweed. Also, there are companys that make hybrid algae and encapsulate it for dietary consumption. It's very healthy for you, and although it is a acquired taste, once acquired, it's very good with sushi!
That's true, especially the "acquired" taste part. :P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

no not seaweed or kelpy stuff, single celled algae. Microscopic single celled plants, they give water a green tint.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

roid wrote:no not seaweed or kelpy stuff, single celled algae. Microscopic single celled plants, they give water a green tint.
Yes. Algae is not so much used in your typical Japanese sushi roll - seaweed is. The other company I was talking about DOES make dietary supplements out of algae. "Dirty Jobs" was at their plant (no pun intended) showing how they make it. People eat the stuff on crackers too.