C.O.D - D3 , Completed

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

C.O.D - D3 , Completed

Post by Duper »

Well sorta. There is no scripting so it's lacking some polish. The file is about 4 megs in size zipped and has only taken me ..oh... 5 years to make. There is a very short story to read in text form rather than in the briefing although there is a briefing with info. I hate reading tons of story given via briefing venue so I used a text format.
So here are some screen shots.

***EDIT***
Ok, a bit more info.
This is a port of an old level from the Descent 1 collection \"Levels of the World\"; a conglomeration of user made levels sponsored by Parallax. Thumb made this level orginally (perhaps some of you remember him) and he gave permission to port this. It's BIG. I've had a couple of folk beta this in the past and I really should beta it one more time, but meh... the multiplayer bug is fixed. (the mine was extending out beyond the terrain)
This is single or coop only as it's JUST TOO BIG for anarchy. Here are the stats.

Rooms:...........121
Portals:.........144
Doors:...........16
Faces:...........28,460
Vertices:........36,390
Poly Objects:....273

If I had been thinking, I would have posted a editor shot of the entire map. :\\ maybe I still will.

If you are wondering, this one is \"bumped\".

This last one, I was playing around with the contrast and brightness and thought that the girders and other structure took on an almost realist quality here. I had to brighten all tne pix as every one of the screenshots came out nearly black. It's not that dark but for some reason it had a mind of it's own.

I'll be sending this off to PlanetDescent next week when I get my internet back.
:roll:

If someone would like to host it in the mean time, holler and I'll send it your way.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Yeah, fire it my way. I do have a version of this, if it hasn't changed I'll upload it and post a link to it.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

md2389@gmail.com

Send it my way and I'll host it up for ya.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Remember, you can host it over at the DMDB too: http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Thanks guys!

I'll send it off probably saturday (as I pm'd Jake) as web based emails don't like more than 2 meg transfers.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Gmail has a 10MB attachment limit.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Sniper wrote:Remember, you can host it over at the DMDB too: http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb
done. Oh, I goofed the screenshot. This one is up to specs, please add it.

I've sent it to PD too.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

Duper wrote:
Sniper wrote:Remember, you can host it over at the DMDB too: http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb
done. Oh, I goofed the screenshot. This one is up to specs, please add it.

I've sent it to PD too.
You can still edit your mission, and add it to the level that's already uploaded :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Btw fellas, this map most definitely pushes the fusion engine so don't be suprised if it bogs down. In some areas I'm pushing 25fps...and my system MORE than surpasses the req for D3. (dual core opteron 165, 1GB DDR400, XFX 7900GS)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

MD, were you running in OGL or D3d? Once I turned my head lights off in coop it ran pretty smoothly. Just that first 5 minutes or so was a bit choppy. - on my end at least.

And thanks Sniper, will do. I looked but couldn't find the option.

**EDIT**
Done. Thanks guys.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

OpenGL
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ok, C.O.D. POSTED on Sniper's site. (thanks man)

Not on PD yet.

*as MD had noted in final coop test, there are a couple lighting issues with the big doors. This is common. I never have been able to get that to go away. That particular door model isn't the best any way; has a bug or two.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Duper, if you used the file submission form, it'll never get posted, as that thing hasn't worked right for a long time now. :P I'll get it submitted myself.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

......oh.

o_0 didn't know that. Thx!
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

You are also welcome to put it on DescentiaPedia. You can make a page there and post your screenies too.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Duper,
It seems like a cool mission... but I can't seem to complete it.

For example:
1. It won't let you pick up the key
2. The three switches don't respond to anything I do
3. Blowing the three power thingies or the thing in the middle (which then blows the three power thingies) seem to have no effect...
4. Seems impossible to end the mission.

I suppose this could be because the mission states it's the \"unscripted\" version? Should that be the mission we're downloading?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

its the only version. I've not learned to script and with my wife recovering from back surgery, I doubt I'll get to learning any time soon.

Scripting controls all those things....unfortunately.

Read the texts. ;) Some of the things like \"Secret room found\" and a couple of the bot generators I could add via the D3 Editor, but that's it. Also, I never added the Guide bot nodes as I knew i wasn't going to script it.

Sorry. :(
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Try looking for a scripter on PD?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If you still don't find anyone by early June, I can probably do it (much much too busy beforehand)... just remind me that I said this :) Would probably just need a list of things the level is supposed to do.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Thx Sirius.

MD.. oh i have both scripters ..(no WAY am I learning to script in dallas ..learning C++ would be just as easy ;)) It's a time and energy thing.

looks like I'm back to mousing it, my stik died this weekend. :cry:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Bump.

Hey Sirus. any progress on that??? :lol: :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I have made some since last time, although I haven't put in the cutscenes yet. I should be able to get back to work on the newer stuff now that my big D2 level project is out of the way.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

no worries. I ran across this and thought I'd give you a bad time.

G/L on the D2 project. I would have contributed to DW's gathering, but I'm trying to stay away from editors these days. My wife gets this crazy look in her eyes whenever she sees on my monitor.. and then it's not safe to sleep at night. o.0

;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Just wanted to add a note or two about a couple of things. MD mentioned to me a while bacl (feb or Jan) that there is a place where you can't get through with a tank. Has anyone else ran into this?? It was in the rock tunnels. There IS one place that I designed like that. It's a side tunnel that swings out a bit and to the best of my knowledge, you can't get through it with any ship.

He also mentioned that the lighting on a couple of doors is goofed up. This is true. The large door lighting is a mess. I tried multiple times to get this right and the only time I got close, I messed up all the other lighting! :roll: SOooooo ...

Anyways. Anything else that anyone has run into? I can do some revision if needed. It took me 5 years to build this, so I can't complain if it takes another 5 to script it.
Anyone do more than a 2 person coop?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

That tank issue doesn't make sense to me, it has the smallest hit sphere, so it should have the smallest collision sphere...
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Way to go…you are hard core!

I wish I still had Descent installed.
Thumb
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Thumb »

Hey Duper,

This is Thumb the original author of C.O.D. and if you could, give me a link or something so I can download your final version. I know this thread is on the old side so I hope you see this.

Thanks

BTW, my old site is back online with all the D1 & D2 levels if you need to find an old level.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Whats the link thumb? TY
Thumb
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Thumb »

Here it is: http://www.thumbweb.com/

I put it in my signature but nothing is showing. Maybe it's not turned on.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

OMG! Thumb!! DUDE! Um. I think it's on PD.. sec. Yep, go HERE

It seems that I goofed on one of the TEXT files and left my dissertation out. .. wonderful. I'll send it to ya.

And Yeah, Sigs have been turned off since you were here last.

OK, it seems I put the wrong text file in the Zip .. actually I duplicated the story line text .. and I'm a doc writer at work .. heaven help us. :roll: so here is what I wrote .. just a lot of usual fluff. ;)
Duper wrote:

Level: C.O.D. "Circle of Death"
Description: Mega room to chase your buddy down and take him out!
Author: Tim "Thumb" Fredericy
Date: Aug. 25, 1995
Ported by Biff "Duperman" Johnson
Date: Aug. 25, 2002
Update: Nov. 13, 2005

A couple words before I get into the meat of this thing. ...Life is circles within circles... when I first started playing Descent decades ago.. ok.. about 6 years.. a close buddy of mine (not THAT close ;) ) introduced me to Descent in this level... on Insane.. I died a lot.. Well, I had a rare fit of determination and learned this new stupid game on my 386 SX to the tune of about 5 fps Everything disabled, sound included. That and the Demo 'puter at Eggheads. While I played lots of levels .. minerva included ;P I always came back to this one.

Later, to my excitement, Thumb released his D2 version of C.O.D. (I was, by then, running a Cyrix 120) But! I was dismayed and greaved .. ok.. I was moderately putout... to find that it was multi only. (no bots)... so, long story short; with permission I added bots and named it "W.O.D." (wheel of death) .. I know, it's a terrable name, but I felt it would avoid some confusion.

Which brings me here. Wow! what a project this has been.. a little over a year in the making and many revisions. Tim gave me his blessing to "port" this to D3. (For those who don't know, there is no real program to just convert D1 or D2 levels to D3. The mechanics are between the 2 former and the later are very different.) - actually, there was a program that DID do it (and it worked pretty well from what I was told), but it was never released to the general public. I coulda REALLY used it when I ported Keg Party.. but that's a separate nightmare! ;)

I've added some story which may set up for another solo mission or two.. dunno yet.

Here's a little background....

Your a freshly graduated Cadet from the CED Academy of Interstellar Military Training and with your commission of 2nd Lieutenant you are also received as a candidate into the elite branch of the CED known as the ESF (Earth Special Forces ...duh). This is the platform from which I'll premise any further senarios. In "my world", the PTMC does not exist. It is mearly a "clever" training/testing sim as you will see. When you arrived on post (base), you were wheeled off to the sim for a solid 3 days of testing with barely enough time to set your bags on the floor. I left the gender of our "hero" (you) unspecified as there are number of female pilots out there.

In the story text file (also included and are EXPECTED to read ;) ) ...

" " denotes vocal dialogue
* * denotes thoughts by our hero

UPDATE: Ok, I never got this scripted. So, the guildbot stuff doesn't work and neither do the goals. If you feel so inclined, feel free to finish the scripting. .. exiting sequence is also needed.
Enjoy!

Ok.. here are the Stats.. WTH are these always in D3 txt files?? and WHY am I putting them in here too?!??! no clue ... Oh well, let's not upset the order of the universe.

Special thanks to all the "little people" out there that helped me with all the more difficult things! ;)
Also a big BIG shout out to Tim ..er Thumb for many great levels including this one. He no longer shows on Kali but once in a blue moon. Take Care Tim!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

oh .. the question was raised or rather came in the form of a mild complaint about the water in the bottom of the level.

When Thumb did the D2 version of D2, he used water as it was one of the cool new things that D2 added to gaming. (no other game had that then) so I guess he just decided to pimp it. :)

Keeping form, I kept the wet stuff but added the sewer sludge as it didn't do the crazy damage that D3 lava does. o_0

Here's the \"backstory\" on the \"why\".

This facility was built on a world where there is NASTY acidic rains. If you ever make it outside the mine, you will see that everything is rusted. Well.. ground \"water\" being what it is will find its way to the lowest possible spot and pool (if allowed). It's one of the reasons the facility was abandoned and chalked up as an \"engineering oversight\" :roll: As the program was reaching the end of its usefulness, it was easier to just leave than to try and retool it and fix various structural issues.

So, with the base abandoned, rain water and ground water found it's way in.

Sorry the textures don't line up but there wasn't a lot I could do about that. Stretching textures looks fugly and lining them up so it all flowed in the same direction was just silly. (in my mind)