Using Dual Mice

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Using Dual Mice

Post by roid »

this would be hard! i mean, using a desktop is hard enough without tactile feedback. The buttons are so small and hard to find, you have to be really careful to hit the right one - We're just well practiced.

But to hit buttons without looking at it? Coz you are looking at whatevber you are doing in your other hand instead. How do you hit the button? When i'm cooking and using my left hand to grab something i flail around until i feel what i want. But you can't flail around on a PC desktop, there's NO TACTILENESSSS

YOUR THOUGHTS PLS
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Same as using two joysticks. No problems.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

what?! This is navigating the desktop.
it's nothing like using 2 joysticks, unless you are controlling 2 seperate ships at once or some madness of this nature.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

oh, I didn't actually watch the video. :) Two for desktop, eh...
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

I don't really think the mind is able to multi task like that so it would be very difficult to use for a single person. Now perhaps two or three people using the same computer perhaps in a multi monitor or very large monitor setup you might get some benefits. It would sort of bring new meaning to the term ‘collaborative computing’.

RC
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Another thing you might find interesting.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Sirius wrote:Another thing you might find interesting.
wow.. just.. WOW. :o

Roid, I don't quite understand what you're getting at. I type without looking at the keys, why would working 2 mice on one desktop be any different? However, I think RC is right, the mind isn't really setup to multi task like that. I'm sure it could be done, but most likely with sublime patterns and you would mostly likely really only focusing on one thing at a time. Your eyes might be whipping back and forth incredibly fast, but you would still only be looking at one cursor at a time. remember the Arcade game called Robotron?
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

I can't wait for the Microsoft version. :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Microsoft... would probably wreck it about three times in a row, followed by Apple demonstrating an actually elegant implementation of the system, which MS would then copy three years later.

If their current track record is anything to go by. :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

If you watch the video carefully, you will see that the operator is really only using one thing at a time. When he's typing, it looks like the top one is actually being paid attention to, while the bottom one is just key jamming. When he's using the two mice, he kinda switches between doing something on the one and doing something on this other mouse. (I don't count scrolling with the wheel as doing something, because it doesn't require attention.) My conclusion: while it's a novel concept, a single person can't really keep up with much more than a single mouse and keyboard combination. Increased efficiency won't come from increasing the number of tools, it'll come from making the tools more powerful & easier to use. Like has already been said, the only way I can see this being really beneficial is if several people absolutely have to be working on the same desktop at the same time, and even then it would take some time to get used to not messing each other up. I agree with Roid
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Sirius wrote:M....followed by Apple demonstrating an actually elegant implementation of the system...
At 3 times the price. ;)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

From what I could tell, the video was not a single operator with multiple mice, it was multiple operators with a mouse and keyboard each, all working on the same desktop.
Chaos Death Saurer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Chaos Death Saurer »

Still, that idea's pretty awesome. Imagine controlling a pyro like that. 8)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Duper wrote:
Sirius wrote:M....followed by Apple demonstrating an actually elegant implementation of the system...
At 3 times the price. ;)
Well, yeah, that goes with the territory. You'll probably be able to get an open-source equivalent through Linux another few years later, but of course it will be designed by the same guys who perpetrated the GIMP user interface and will totally suck.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

I like it !

Still would like to see this one..
ImageImage
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Duper wrote:
wow.. just.. WOW. :o

Roid, I don't quite understand what you're getting at. I type without looking at the keys, why would working 2 mice on one desktop be any different? However, I think RC is right, the mind isn't really setup to multi task like that. I'm sure it could be done, but most likely with sublime patterns and you would mostly likely really only focusing on one thing at a time. Your eyes might be whipping back and forth incredibly fast, but you would still only be looking at one cursor at a time. remember the Arcade game called Robotron?
The biggest difference in using 2 hands on the keyboard is that the keyboard is a tactile interface, and it's ABSOLUTE - You don't have to search around to find your keys coz they are always in the same spot (absolute), and if you do have to momentarily search around you can feel around without looking (tactile).

The mouse isn't tactile, you don't feel the buttons as your cursor hovers over them. You can't use a mouse without looking at the screen. Well you can kinda, i often will whip upto the top right of the screen then back off a bit, and CLICK - knowing that there's a good chance i'll hit the (X) CLOSE button.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

yeah that's awesome. it's probabaly how it should be done. Coz the touchscreen makes it ABSOLUTE, you don't have to "pilot" a mouse to the button location and click - you just put your real-finger right on it. So it's way easier to put your finger on things you arn't directly looking at - just in your peripherial vision
Grendel wrote:
I like it !

Still would like to see this one..
Yeah, that mixed with Grendel's multi-touchscreen would be so great. I have 2 hands and i really rely on BOTH of them in the real world to move stuff around quickly. So it'd be nice to put both hands in that 3D desktop "box" and move things around. Passing things between hands would be very nice. le-sigh
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Chaos Death Saurer wrote:Still, that idea's pretty awesome. Imagine controlling a pyro like that. 8)
I imagine it would be akin to two people in a tank in Battlefield 1942. ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

if yo look in the movies at the pyro cockpit, there are 2 joysticks.