Better sound for Descent 1 and 2!

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Better sound for Descent 1 and 2!

Post by holbred »

Hi all!

I developed a soundfont which gives you back the original soundtrack of Descent 1 and 2. It is called 8MBGM ENHANCED. If you have a Creative Soundblaster card that is compatible with soundfonts (e.g. Live!, Audigy and X-Fi series), you can load it instead of the default soundfont. You can find a precise instruction on the soundfont page of my website:

http://www.bredel.homepage.t-online.de/ ... glish.html

Any comments are welcome!
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

holbred,

This a wonderful I would like to mirror it on koolbear.com/Descent if you don't mind.

Regards,
KB
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

Of course you can mirror it. :)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

The soundfont is unavailable.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

x2 :(
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

Sorry that for some of you the download was unavailable.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

holbred wrote:Sorry that for some of you the download was unavailable. I chose a new location which (hopefully) give you better access to the 8mbgm_enhanced10.rar:

http://www.mediafire.com/?conmv1vweyi
The quickkey you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

Wait for my new version 1.1. It will have a lot of improvements like stronger basses and some better instruments.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

When I download the file from that latest link, it says it's damaged.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

That is probably because Lycos HATES if ppl provide downloads on their webspace... (at least this was the case when I had an account there)

@holbred
If you want, you can offer this file to me (mail, KALI or something) and I mirror it on the DXX site.
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

@zico

Thanks, but the file is to big for e-mail (~31 MB). I tried to e-mail it to Diedel, but it didn't work. I'm going to upload it at a free webspace provider and post the link on this side. Then you can download it and mirror it on your DXX site. :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I will provide you with a way to upload to koolbear.com holbred
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

@KoolBear

Thanks. :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I have your first page semi working. there's a link at the top of that page.

I will continue to work on the mirrored pages so everything works (eventually) But the link is at the top of this page...
http://www.koolbear.com/Descent/communi ... dfonts.htm
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'll make sure to get this up on PD, as well, the next time I get around to uploading files.
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

It's done! 8) After hours of hard work, I finished version 1.1 of my soundfont. It has improved basses and a lot of new instruments. Check the changelog for details. While I fixed the major bugs of Merlin's 8mbgm_plus13.sf2 in version 1.0, I did some fine tuning this time. I can say that this is the ULTIMATE soundfont for Descent! :)

You can get midi files of Descent from the following websites:

http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files ... /music.asp
http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files ... /music.asp

Compare the standard soundfont with my 8MBGM ENHANCED v1.1, and you will be convinced that there is no other soundfont that can compete with it.

@KoolBear and Top Gun

Please upload the new version 1.1. Thanks!
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Link on Soundfont page(s) updated

Mirrored Page(s)
HERE

Direct Download link...
CLICK HERE
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The sound font v1.1 is also available on my Descent site. See the downloads area for a link.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

holbred wrote:this is the ULTIMATE soundfont for Descent! :)
Rumours will have it that Holger is about to do something right now only Germans can :mrgreen:: Go beyond the ultimate. ;)
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

Version 1.2 has been finished. It should be the final one. This version contains some last improvements to the sound of Descent 1 and 2. Listen, for example, to the bottomless bass of the Melodic Tom in descent.mid (Descent 1). :wink: The major changes, however, have been made to the sound of Monkey Island 1 and 2. It sounds considerably better than before.

Comments?

@KoolBear and Diedel
It would be nice, if you could upload the new file. Thanks.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Link on Soundfont page(s) updated to 1.2

Mirrored Page(s)
HERE

Direct Download link...
CLICK HERE
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

holbred wrote:Version ... has been finished. It should be the final one.
This is something I have been thinking very often when releasing a new D2X-XL version ... :roll: :lol:
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

Important addendum: With older Sound Blaster cards (e.g. PCI512, SBLive!, Audigy), you do not load soundfonts with soundfont bank manager, but with AudioHQ software.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

While I don't have compatible hardware, I congratulate you on your hard work. :)
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

This SBLive! here works perfectly with asfxload and without AudioHQ.

Also, if your hardware really can't do MIDI, there's always software synthesizers such as Timidity.
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by holbred »

The Lion wrote:Also, if your hardware really can't do MIDI, there's always software synthesizers such as Timidity.
However, these software synthesizers do not work in games. They can only play midi files with a particular soundfont.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

You can use a loopback driver like MIDI Yoke or LoopBe1 to connect the TiMidity++ Synth Server to a game.

Set the game to send MIDI events to the loopback device, and have TiMidity read from it.

On a side note, my favorite player for MIDI files is XMPlay with its MIDI plugin (a SoundFont softsynth).
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

Version 1.3 of my soundfont has just been finished.

Again, a lot of improvements have been made, like more precise basses and better instruments. This one is a MUST HAVE for the real sound enthusiast! :)

@KoolBear and Diedel
Please upload the new file. Thanks.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Link on Soundfont page(s) updated to 1.3

Mirrored Page(s)
HERE

Direct Download link...
CLICK HERE
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Has anyone sent this to PD?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

MD-2389 wrote:While I don't have compatible hardware, I congratulate you on your hard work. :)
You are missing something then. Holger has done some awesome work. The midis sound tangibly better now.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:While I don't have compatible hardware, I congratulate you on your hard work. :)
You are missing something then. Holger has done some awesome work. The midis sound tangibly better now.
Oh I don't doubt it at all. I'm definitely in the market for better audio (*grumbles at nVidia for canning SoundStorm*). I'm just not out to buy something that I'm going to hate later (like something from Creative). Right now I'm stuck using Realtek crap (ALC850 incase you're curious) until I find something decent that meets my requirements (must have optical out, so I can run 5.1 to my surround sound, and be able to use digital and analog audio at the same time.)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

DCrazy wrote:Has anyone sent this to PD?
I've been following along, and I'll get it submitted when I do my next round of file updates. (Provided I can figure out what file section it should be listed under, that is...)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Then maybe its time for a new section. :)
goznik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by goznik »

MD-2389 wrote:
Diedel wrote:
Oh I don't doubt it at all. I'm definitely in the market for better audio (*grumbles at nVidia for canning SoundStorm*). I'm just not out to buy something that I'm going to hate later (like something from Creative). Right now I'm stuck using Realtek crap (ALC850 incase you're curious) until I find something decent that meets my requirements (must have optical out, so I can run 5.1 to my surround sound, and be able to use digital and analog audio at the same time.)
Can someone make mp3s of the D1 midis?
holbred
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by holbred »

It is possible to make MP3 files of a particular midi file with a software tool like SynthFont. You load a soundfont in SynthFont and get the result. However, the outcome is very poor. :roll:

Therefore, I don't recommend judging my soundfont on the basis of poor mp3 files. :wink:
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by heftig »

holbred wrote:It is possible to make MP3 files of a particular midi file with a software tool like SynthFont. You load a soundfont in SynthFont and get the result. However, the outcome is very poor. :roll:
I compared the output of the X-Fi hardware synth with the output of the XMPlay softsynth, and there isn't much difference (XMPlay is a bit clearer IMO).

I've uploaded an MP3 of Game22.mid created with XMPlay + xmp-midi + 8mbgm_enhanced13 + LAME:
http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f= ... d809250fcf
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I'm afraid Vlindicator beat you to that by about a year or two. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that they aren't up on PD. They're 256kbps CBR, and just the D1 tracks alone rack up a whopping 159MB. I'd have to dig out the CD to tell you how big the D2 tracks are, but theres only four or five of those compared to the 25 tracks for D1 (22 for the levels, the other three are the credits, menu, and end theme.). I believe he recorded the songs directly from an old Sound Blaster 16.

At any rate, before this goes too far off-topic I'd like to congratulate you again on your hard work holbreg.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

MD, if you have any way of uploading those, I could get them on PD. I wasn't even aware that they existed until right now. :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have found a good shareware midi -> mp3 converter on the inet doing lightning fast silent conversions. You can even batch them. The trial version is limited to 5 songs per batch and a 30 day evaluation period. It's called 'Direct MIDI to MP3 Converter' and seems to be lame based. Works very well. You can even specify the MIDI soundfont you want to use (e.g. Holger's).

The rar'd D1 mp3 music is about 120 MB.