DScent

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

DScent

Post by Kyouryuu »

It's Descent on the Nintendo DS.

Not only does it have all of the textures and lighting effects, but it runs at a very good clip. Unfortunately, it's not an official port, so you'd need a flash cart and the hacked game to play it. But nevertheless, it shows you could produce Descent on the DS if you wanted to. ;)
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Intresting find Kyo.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I knew this looked familiar! :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Is it just the video, or is the audio out of sync on the DS?
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Maybe it's out of sync. It's hard to tell anymore with YouTube.

I think the DS is a great platform for this mainly because the touch screen is conducive to a first-person game. As seen here with Descent and also Metroid Prime, it can effectively function as a mouse. And the designer can simply place large icons to tap on in order to select weapons, drop bombs, etc. Much like the Wii, the benefit of the DS is translating otherwise complex controls into something natural and intuitive for the average person.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

The audio in the game is out of sync I believe.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

To think I used to upgrade my PC so I could run Descent 1/2/3... Now it can be done on a handheld!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Hell, I remember back when D3 was still in development stages, someone managed to get D1 to work on a Ti-82. It got like one frame per second, but it worked. :P
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Ouch, after seeing \"Doom\" on a TI-83, Descent on a TI-82 sounds unplayable. XD
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re: DScent

Post by KoolBear »

Kyouryuu wrote:It's Descent on the Nintendo DS.
Kyouryuu/Anyone,

Any idea who did this? Sure would be nice to make it available. My son got all excited when he saw this.

KB
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

KoolBear wrote:
Kyouryuu/Anyone,

Any idea who did this? Sure would be nice to make it available. My son got all excited when he saw this.

KB
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=alteka

PM the guy and ask.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Actually, it originated from this forum post:
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t ... sc&start=0

You would need a DS flash reader to play it. You can find those on the Internet at some game import sites.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Thank you Kyouyuu
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

KoolBear wrote:
Kyouryuu/Anyone,

KB
He posted the videos himself on .com. You can send him a PM through there if you wish.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Thanks MD I ended up getting it from his blog that I got from his signature which I found in the forum Kyouryuu provided :) Now say that 5 times real fast.

And DCrazy yes noone was able to get the sound sync'd with thier cameras, that game during gameplay the sound was fine, at least that's what they were saying.

No multiplayer support yet but the project doesn't appear to have stalled yet and is actively supported. There was a recent release too.

Of course I am next to clueless. I did get something called dlditool-win32-gui.zip I assume this is the convereter. I also assume I need to purchase some type of smartcard too. Of course my son is too young yet and alas I am too old :P

Does it sound like I am on the right path? That I am at least heading in the right direction?

Once I get it figured out I'll add it to my site with a short sweet tutorial. My son nearly pee'd all over himself when he thought of Descent on his DS ;) I had to buy him the Playstation 1 version too :P

Thank You, Kyouryuu, MD and Duper. All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
KB
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

That's awesome!
I really like the automap on the second screen!

Has anyone tried this? Hell, I'd even buy a DS just to play the old game!
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I honestly do not know how the flash stuff works. :(
GCNMario
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by GCNMario »

I hate to bump a topic, but I want to say I actually tried this. I recently got a M3 DS Simply flashcard, and a 2GB Micro SD.

I tried running this game on my DS. It works. However, I can't get anywhere in this game, due to the shere bugginess of this game. At random times, my screen goes blank of white and red screens. I don't know why it's ahppening, or what's causing it to happen. :(

Does anyone know if that alteka user is the creator of DScent? I really need to contact Kayvenm, besides his blog page.

BTW, ya'll know that he recently released version Alpha 3 of his homebrew app DScent? Even with this release, I still find it buggy, and it always crashes to the white/red screen on me.

Oh yea... Long time no see.... AGAIN!!!! >:)
I recently came back, after discovering about this DS homebrew port, DScent.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Well, sure it's crashy. The DS is an entirely different architecture from the PC. But still, the premise is cool. If Interplay was smart, they'd be trying to get Descent onto Xbox Live Arcade or onto a portable release.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

If Interplay
GCNMario
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by GCNMario »

If this guy/dude is REALLY still working on this homebrew port project, I would still keep playing this on my DS. :D
But since it keeps crashing, giving me the red/white screens on my DS, I can't seem to play it past the first part of level 1. :P

BTW, if we make any new Descent 1 levels, can we play our new levels on this homebrew project? Or has this yet to me made? I can't really tell with the recent updates.

Also, I wonder if this guy has any plans to homebrew/port Descent 2 on the DS.
I think it would be quite impossible to port Descet 3, since it is a whole new level of play, & interactions, & graphics style. I would think Descent 2 would be the last thing this guy would try to homebrew port to the DS. :o
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I would say that D3 would probably be impossible to port only because there is no source codes for D3.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

And the DS surely couldn't handle Descent 3. Technically speaking, Descent II is probably the most complicated thing it could muster.
GCNMario
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by GCNMario »

Kyouryuu wrote:Well, sure it's crashy. The DS is an entirely different architecture from the PC. But still, the premise is cool. If Interplay was smart, they'd be trying to get Descent onto Xbox Live Arcade or onto a portable release.
I would like to go back to this reply.

From what I read in an earlier version of DScent, it seemed to not crash. Some people had luck playing through the game smoothly. At least through the first level in earlier versions. And now, with the latest update of this homebrew, it seems to crash on me randomly, which keeps me from passing the first level.

Also, with the lack of controls, I can't keep a strait flight. For example, I can't even roll left or right (which would fix me to fly upright if I got turned upside down). It's maybe due to the players odd control setup for the touch screen, since there is an option to add more keys to the touch screen. But even with that, I still have problems flying around.