Linux D3 problem (Split from Linux files)

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

tomo2
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by tomo2 »

hi. I have downloaded linux files and added to original D3 windows directory. I also had renamed all files to lowercase.

When i type

Code: Select all

tomkiewicz@Tomkiewicz:~/Descent3> ./descent3
or

LD_PRELOAD=/home/tomkiewicz/Descent3/loki_com --line-break-- pat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/home/tomkiewicz/Descent3/loki_compat/libsmpeg-0.4.so.0.1.3 /home/tomkiewicz/Descent3/descent3.dynamic
i get intro, player menu, and main menu. When i select multiplayer and TCP/IP game loads, but nobody will connect me, because i'm behing the NAT.

Problem is singleplayer - when i click \"New Game\", text \"Downloading\" (it's loading) appears and... i am returned to KDE :(. In console i had error:

X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContextTag
  Major opcode of failed request:  149 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  144 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  797
  Current serial number in output stream:  798
please give me some solution - i dont wanna to switch to windows to play that game :/. In wine game also won't run...

my OS: openSUSE 10.2, kernel 2.6.21, wine 0.9.37

sorry for my english
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

It looks like your LD_PRELOAD and the execution of D3 are on different lines. They have to be on the same line; I'm assuming you're using Bash:

export LD_PRELOAD=/home/tomkiewicz/Descent3/loki_compat/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/home/tomkiewicz/Descent3/loki_compat/libsmpeg-0.4.so.0.1.3 /home/tomkiewicz/Descent3/descent3.dynamic
Edit: ugh, looks like we've gotta fix the

tag again... :roll:
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

So it actually plays multiplayer okay? Can you start a game and fly around, but it gets a GLX crash when you run single player? That's really odd.

First, are you using Beryl, GLX, or anything like that? If you're not using GLX for the 3D desktop, then I'd uninstall GLX and see if that fixes it.

Next, I'd check to see if all the mission files (*.mn3) are lowercase. If you used the little script in the instructions, it doesn't recurse directories... you have to run it in every folder except \"online\".

Give those a try and let us know.
Munk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Munk »

As your game crashes when entering 3D graphic mode, you should check that your system can do OpenGL with hardware acceleration.

Run \"glxinfo\" and look for the line:
\"direct rendering: Yes\".

If you find \"direct rendering: No\", then you don't have a proper video driver in your system. You will need to install a video driver that will fit your video card.