Playing Unreal Tournament on High-End PCs

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Playing Unreal Tournament on High-End PCs

Post by Dakatsu »

For some reason I installed Unreal Tournament, but the intro and game go really fast. Almost as if game speed goes 5x its normal! The sound is okay though... \"In 2241, blah blah Liandri Xan Kriegor something\"

I also have this problem for other older Unreal Engine titles, any fix to this?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Odd, I didn't notice any frame rate dependencies in older unreal games on my PC, have you checked to make sure the slowmo console command isn't set wrong? Otherwise try forcing vsync and see if that helps.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

If you have a CPU that can change frequencies, make sure it's set to a static one (not changing after demands). That helped me with UT99 and various other titles.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I suppose you could also try using the OpenGL patch:
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Makes the game look prettier and maybe controls some of your framerate issues. :wink:
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I have no idea how to do any of those,
also, I already put on the OpenGL thingy. It won't run, so I have to switch it back to software renderer.
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

If you have an AMD dual core processor, be sure to install AMD's \"Dual core optimizer\" doodad. It syncs up the high performance counter between processor cores, which definitely helps UT99. Don't know if this'll fix your specific issue, but it could help...

What happens is, the high-perf counter doesn't necessarily start out at the same time for each processor core, so when the game switches execution from one processor to the other, it screws with its sense of time. The AMD tool installs a driver which periodically checks the counters to make sure they're the same.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

pATCheS wrote:What happens is, the high-perf counter doesn't necessarily start out at the same time for each processor core, so when the game switches execution from one processor to the other, it screws with its sense of time. The AMD tool installs a driver which periodically checks the counters to make sure they're the same.
That sounds like a pretty bad design flaw to me.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

You may also have to go into your BIOS and disable the \"Cool and Quiet\" functionality.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Yay, it is working now, time to pwn Xan Kriegor again!

Stupid dual core! Thx patches and all who helped!