Logo concept

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Logo concept

Post by Capm »

I've been thinking about retooling the logo in a very large resolution, as formats get bigger, I find I need a larger base image to make graphics for large application. Anyway, in the process of this, the logo invariably comes out looking different than its smaller older version.

Mind you, this isn't official, and likely will never be, but I just wanted to get some feedback on an early concept, and periodicly, I'll post other phases of its construction for feedback. My goal here is to have an extreme hi-res template psd broken down into layers on a transparent background that will make it easier for our other graphical guru's to work with and meld into other graphics.

Anyway, here is the concept:

3840x2160 JPG

Now, thats a small version, starting at double 1080i resolution, the final version will likely be twice at least that size. Hopefully at some point I can convince someone to turn the final product into a 3d model, I'm a little short on modellers these days.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

I can give you some constructive criticism/feedback since I am a professional graphics artist, I do it all day long. You may take this into consideration or totally disregard anything I say. First, let me preface my words with this: Not everyone will like what you design.

A logo is a graphical element or elements that represent some thing, idea, company, project etc. The purpose of a logo is to help the mind remember this association easily. Therefore, a good logo will be something easily recognizable and memorable.

1. Your logo by no means is bland. However, it's just the opposite. In fact, IMO it might be borderline too busy. Although a logo doesn't need to represent anything physically or directly correlate to anything, it may be hard for people to remember what a logo represents if the logo, in abstract form, as a lot going on.

2. The shape, size, position (and amount) of the logo's parts as a whole and individually are either too close, too far apart, or too small. When resizing a logo like this, it's important to keep in mind that not only is it good to be readable and manageable on a large scale, but on a small scale too; what will happen to those black objects, in the lower parts, when reduced to 150pixels in width and put on letterhead?

3. You don't need to design a logo in highres format. Most often (99% of the time), a logo will be made in vector format. The logo designer uses vector format because it can be scaled to any size and resolution.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

But its not made in vector, its never been made in vector. I'm the one doing it and I don't know vector.

The scale is off because I'm using a wider resolution than normal and its throwing me off, I'm used to working in a square box, but this is just concept not the final design.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

It's ok. :) You should try vector out. Once you learn it, you will soon realize what a valuable tool it is. You could design that logo on your screen at 800x600 (or smaller), and when you're done, stretch it, bend it, or resize it to virtually any shape or size and not lose quality.

I made your logo in vector for you, check it out:
http://www.enspiar.com/images/msVector.psd
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I need to create a new clan logo :D
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator are both very good vector based programs and like Sniper said, you can create anything in vector at even 1\" square and blow it up 4000 times and it will still look as good as the original.